Which Organic chemistry should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next semester I will be taking organic chemistry. My school offers 2 different version of the class (one for chem majors and on for bio majors). As a bio student i have the option to take either one. According to my pre-med adviser both courses prepare you equally for the MCAT. Around campus the one for chem major has a reputation of being much harder but it is taught by professor I do research under. Ive worked closely with professor these past two years on During the end of last semester he said he would love to have me as one of his students outside of working in the lab but wouldn't have any hard feelings if i picked the bio based course instead ( although he says he wouldn't take it personally I feel he would take it very personal). This Prof. is also known for writing the best letters of recommendation ; and avoiding his class will weaken his view of my overall character. He even said he would help me through which ever one I pick.

Facts about each class:

Orgo for Bio majors :
1. Currently has over 180 students enrolled in the class ( more students leads to bigger curves)

2. It is easier yet still prepares you equally for the mcat (an easier class means in January 2014 when i start studying for the mcat i wouldn't have to focus as much on school work.)

3. It is filled with Bio majors ( Bio majors tend to preform worst in chem classes than chem majors. )

Orgo for chem majors:

1. Current only has 39 students enrolled (students tend to avoid this class at all costs.).

2. Its filled with chem majors; chemistry majors at my school are notoriously known for being stronger academic performers than bio major due to more rigorous corses ( for example: a chem major must take calculus based physics , while bio majors has the option of taking a non calculus based physics)

Members don't see this ad.

man, big amount of wrong forum posts this week. premeds getting anxious now that school is about to start again.

post in the premed forum, this forum is for people who are all ready medical students. Pre-allo will be able to answer you question better.

Status
Not open for further replies.