Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Which Osteopathic school is the best?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Frankie, Jan 15, 2000.

1. Frankie

Frankie New Member

I am intrested in attending a osteopathic school. Is there a rating of osteopathic schools? Where can I find quality information on the disadvantages and advantages of each school? Also, can anyone give me tips on how to choose a good school? Thank you for your replies.
    Frankie

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There's no official ranking for osteopathic or allopathic schools. US News & World Report, for some, is all that's needed to determine a rank. For others, it's Gourman's rankings (for which there is no published methodology).

I think the best way to find out the disadvantages and advantages of one osteopathic school over another would be to ask in this forum. The students here are mostly incredibly open and willing to talk about their schools.

Choosing a school depends on what priorities you've set for yourself. Some students choose schools based on location, while others may choose schools based on how happy the students seemed during the interview. For me, I chose my school based on how I thought it would affect my medical career.

Whichever method suits you best, remember to CHOOSE WISELY. Transferring between medical schools is nearly impossible.

Tim of New York City.

4. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Thanks Tim for your response. Does anyone know which osteopathic school has the highest average on their boards? If anyone has a comment in regards to the quality of education received at any of the nineteen
    osteopathic schools please feel free to share it. Thank you. Frankie

5. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Frankie....

Ave board scores have to be inquired at each individual school. They change yearly obviously because it all depends on the sudents at a each particular medical class.

If you have a class full of GUNNERS (like my class), I am sure the ave boards should be well past the 90th percentile.

Tim is right...your concern should not be on ranking of schools, but more on which fits you better. Is location a factor, tution, curriculum, rotations, residency opprotunites for alums, etcc..? The reason is this will mostly be you when you decide to attend a particular school.

What's also very common from a lot of osteopathic medical students on this board as well as myself is how CRAZY & TORTUROUS a lot of osteopathic curriculums can be. Personally, I don't like it at all because its not very conducive learning but you gotta do what you gotta do to survive.

Eventough you work your butt-off, you will be well-prepared when you get out into the medical world. Good luck to you!!! [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

6. GolfDoc

GolfDoc Junior Member

UHS-COM in Kansas City had close to 98% pass rate on the first board exam. The curriculum is very tough but you will be prepared. Anyone that has attended UHS would agree. Great school and an even better choice.