Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which other Medical Sites Do You Frequent?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by ATrain, Jun 2, 2008.

1. ATrain

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have heard of MedSchoolHell and PandabearMD, but what other sites you you visit besides SDN to feed your hunger for medical chit-chat/knowledge?

2. JWE27

JWE27 COMLEXSlayer(RIP 6/10/10)
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    www.osteobook.net

Although, not much happens on that site.

I also frequent several med-student blogs; although, most aren't updated very regularly, so SDN seems to occupy most of my "med-ernet" time...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ATrain

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Med-ernet, I like that. Which are your favorite blogs?

4. JWE27

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Yeah, but you can't steal it :D.

Not too bad (but a bit of a whiner):
    http://ahyesmedschool.blogspot.com/
    (and of course the follow up http://ahyesresidency.blogspot.com/ )

This one’s more about after med school, and lately has been a bit random:
    http://califmedicineman.blogspot.com/

Her old blogs are interesting (the new ones are more about her dog, kids, daycare…zzzz…thus, I don't really go here anymore):
    http://theunderweardrawer.blogspot.com/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Punchap

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I like www.kevinmd.com/blog/

It's updated very regularly and there are a lot of interesting links/comments.

6. fireflygirl

fireflygirl The Ultimate Blindian
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
  7. ellinopedo182

ellinopedo182 Deleted User
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  8. Thantis

Thantis Insert Custom User Title
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/

Every now and again I check this website for anything new in the areas of health and other sciences. I especially like some of the mental health issue, newer surgical procedures and variety of therapies.

9. quenton cassidy

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  10. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just as a little note, a large majority of med student blogs are written by disgruntled students (because lets face it, happy students don't really need to vent through a blog), and it gets old hearing the whole 'I regret this, wish I could go back in time and not do this, my buddy is an MBA who's making 200k why didn't I do that?' Especially when you are working really hard to try to get into med school. There's nothing wrong with being realistic, but these can be too much and biased sometimes.

11. quenton cassidy

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I totally agree, there was another i came upon (med school hell) which seems to solely exist for discouraging future students. BUT the guy's blog I posted previously is extremely comical in nature and in no way discouraging, so if anyone wants to hear some funny stories about a future doctors first blundered circumcision, take a look. But I do see where you are coming from Jagger and it's a good point.

12. ATrain

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Excellent! I'll check that out

13. Concubine

Concubine PDE5 inhibited
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  14. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
  15. JWE27

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I think if you read more of that guy's blog (Ah Yes, Med School), then you'll see he's just as disgruntled as most other bloggers. He regularly indicates he shouldn't have gone through med school and encourages others to not go through it. He's part of the annoying minority, I would think. He does have some funny anecdotes, but he is quite bitter (and curses a lot :))...

16. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I read a few entries...they seem entertaining but very juvenile at times. However, he has a new blog going about residency (Ah, yes, residency) and the entries there seem to show more maturity. Entertaining though.

As a side note: After two years on SDN, I'm finally getting my obsession under control. Going from skipping work to spend 6hrs on here to the more sane occasional (but daily) glimpse here and there (when I'm supposed to be studying for the renal module I'm about to fail).....and then what happens......someone starts a thread like this tempting me with further med school web addictions. Thanks a lot...now I want to start my own blog to waste even more time than I already do here. Why don't you all just start selling meth to 12 year olds and leave poor obsessive med students alone! [<<<stands up and storms off in a huff>>>].

17. Bond8204

Bond8204 Anatomy Lab Crasher
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Disgruntled or not, that shame spiral is the funniest thing I've read in awhile..