Which pair of letters is better? DO and MD? Or DO and Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littleblackbear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shadowed both a DO and a MD, each with different specialties. The DO was an ER attending, and the MD was a Psychiatrist attending. However, I think the MD may be able to write me a more personal letter because I had much more one on one time with him than I did with the DO.

I was having some problems getting science letters so I asked a teacher who doesn't really know me due to the large class size, but was willing to write me a letter (whether he follows through with it is another story).

I only have two more open slots on my application for letters of evaluation, and don't know if I should include the MD letter or the Science teacher letter. If I include the MD letter, will DO schools think DO is my second choice even though it's not?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school:
  • Some will require a science faculty member (some schools specify someone who taught you in a class as opposed to a lab mentor).
  • Some will require the DO letter.
  • Some might prefer letters from someone who's seen you "in action" (in a class, doing research, etc) vs. shadowing.
No one right answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed both a DO and a MD, each with different specialties. The DO was an ER attending, and the MD was a Psychiatrist attending. However, I think the MD may be able to write me a more personal letter because I had much more one on one time with him than I did with the DO.

I was having some problems getting science letters so I asked a teacher who doesn't really know me due to the large class size, but was willing to write me a letter (whether he follows through with it is another story).

I only have two more open slots on my application for letters of evaluation, and don't know if I should include the MD letter or the Science teacher letter. If I include the MD letter, will DO schools think DO is my second choice even though it's not?
I would do the DO and science

If you can get into an LCME MD school, go for it. There are parts of the country where people are biased against DOs, still a DO is better than a foreign MD in most cases.

Boston MA, where I grew up is a very MD centric town, mostly because MDs from Ivy League schools are a dime a dozen, so consumers pick the best option for their health care dollars.

If you can get into an LCME MD school, go for it. There are parts of the country where people are biased against DOs, still a DO is better than a foreign MD in most cases.

Boston MA, where I grew up is a very MD centric town, mostly because MDs from Ivy League schools are a dime a dozen, so consumers pick the best option for their health care dollars.
Why you changed the conversation to why go MD over DO I'm not sure because it wasn't being asked. . .

Do and science letter. /thread

I would actually say the MD letter if it's more personable.