Which parts of medicine are considered primary care?

Hamiltonian

7+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Title is self-explanatory. Family Medicine, Pediatrician, Emergency Medicine? I have no idea.

jbz24

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Family medicine, pediatrics (no specialization), internal medicine (no specialization), and I think obgyn

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Well from what I take... it's family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry, ob/gyn, DO's see emergency medicine as primary care. Umm that's all I think.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
Well from what I take... it's family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry, ob/gyn, DO's see emergency medicine as primary care. Umm that's all I think.
WHAT? No, I don't believe so.

Dec 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Just to piggy back on FloatOn, my OB/GYN is my PCP.
Last year I received an e-mail from my insurance company letting me know this was an option and encouraging me to do this.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
IM, FP, and Peds, definitely.

Sometimes they consider Ob/Gyn primary care as well. And I think (don't quote me on this) that general surgery can be considered a primary care specialty for loan repayment programs and such.

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
i know this is NOT the general consensus but i've heard a few docs even consider general surgery and ortho as primary care. i know this is NOT the norm, but i can see where they are coming from.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
From NHSC website:

National Health Service Corps scholars are committed to serve one year for each year of support (minimum of two years service) at an approved site in a high-need Health Professional Shortage Area soon after they graduate, serve a primary care residency (family medicine, general pediatrics, general internal medicine, obstetrics/gynecology or psychiatry for physicians and general or pediatric for dentists) and are licensed.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
i know this is NOT the general consensus but i've heard a few docs even consider general surgery and ortho as primary care. i know this is NOT the norm, but i can see where they are coming from.
Nah they don't meet the definition of primary care and they generally see patients for a single procedure, not as a longterm basis. Not only is this not the norm, but it doesn't even fit the definition.

Primary care is IM, Peds, FP, OBGYN. Psych meets the definition in terms of longitudinal patient care and EM meets the definition as a common primary intake point but I don't think these latter two are really considered primary care by most.

TooMuchResearch

i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Townsville, USA
Status
Attending Physician
Nah they don't meet the definition of primary care and they generally see patients for a single procedure, not as a longterm basis. Not only is this not the norm, but it doesn't even fit the definition.

Primary care is IM, Peds, FP, OBGYN. Psych meets the definition in terms of longitudinal patient care and EM meets the definition as a common primary intake point but I don't think these latter two are really considered primary care by most.
L2D, what are you doing up so late?

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I've heard of psychh as being primary care. Off to sleep now.:sleep: