Technology Which PDA to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of buying a PDA to help me in clinical rotations. I am buying one anyway, not just for clinical rotations but my decision would rely on which one's best for clinical rotations. Im currently torn between palm or windows mobile. Which one's better for medical programs? I have a few friends who swear by palm and yet there are others who say windows is much much better. I need feedback from you guys! Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Im thinking of buying a PDA to help me in clinical rotations. I am buying one anyway, not just for clinical rotations but my decision would rely on which one's best for clinical rotations. Im currently torn between palm or windows mobile. Which one's better for medical programs? I have a few friends who swear by palm and yet there are others who say windows is much much better. I need feedback from you guys! Please help.

hello,
its really important that you get a palm. It helped me. I still use it as a quick referencing tool. I suggest you get a palm. I am not going to go into technical details. And if you are interested in cracked softwares then stick to palm. Reason being that, there are more cracks for palm than win mobile. (a case in point is our beautiful skyscape website) Get the TX or Palm treo if u need dual functionality. All the best.

I like windows, dell specially comes with more installed programs then palm. and i think palms can get more expensive

Members don't see this ad :)
Is windows really better and faster? Skyscape cracks are for both now so i guess the same apps are available to try. I have used palm before but from what i've gathered after research, windows based devices are ruling the smartphone scene with big touchscreens screens, faster processors and sliding keyboards, wifi/bluetooth, camera - all the bells and whistles. The thing is, medically, i've seen more people own palm than windows!

Sanad,

I'm glad that you started this thread. I'm also trying to decide between win and palm.

I have seen some issues with windows mobile, like an update that made some smartphones inoperable.

It appears that there are fewer devices to choose from if I want to get palm over win. Is this true?

there are fewer devices for palm

and after having used one the whole year, palm's are ugly.

there's more selection with windows mobile devices but i believe there are fewer programs (certainly fewer free programs) out there in terms of medical software

my personal choice? i would've loved to have an iphone/ipod touch with epocrates loaded on it this year :)

My Palm Tungsten T3 ran every program I needed and was very convenient. You could probably get one off of Ebay on the cheap. Trust me, you won't be using your PDA as much as you think in your 3rd and 4th year. Some attendings cringe at the sight of them. You'll need one for Epocrates though. Epocrates is a must!

-Richie

My Palm Tungsten T3 ran every program I needed and was very convenient. You could probably get one off of Ebay on the cheap. Trust me, you won't be using your PDA as much as you think in your 3rd and 4th year. Some attendings cringe at the sight of them. You'll need one for Epocrates though. Epocrates is a must!

-Richie

I use my PDA quite a bit as a 3rd year.

We have logging software to keep track of the patients we see. (Normally done seconds before I have to hand in the data but for slower rotations, there's definitely time to key it in)

Epocrates is a must for prescriptions.

Epocrates (Dx section) is actually quite useful for coming up with assessments and plans. Or for that emergency scramble to read before a massive pimping session.

My experience is that the attendings who cringe at the site of a PDA are the severely technologically challenged ones.

Hi everyone,

Can anyone let me know if the iphone could be a better replacement for the palm or windows mobile.

Thanks