RxPlacebo

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
My UGPA cumulative is right around 3.0, UGPA math 3.7, UGPA science 2.7.
I took the PCAT in 2002 and got 90th percentile.
The above stats landed me on the waitlist at U. Maryland back in 03'.

I gave up on Pharmacy because I thought I'd never get in. However, now I'm maintaining a 4.0 GPA in a M.S. in Biotechnology at Johns Hopkins U.

I wonder what Pharm schools if any give most consideration to M.S. degrees.
I've gotten A's in advanced Biochem, Molec Bio, Cell Bio I which will boost my science GPA.

I know my overall cumulative GPA should go from 3.0 to about 3.25 after I graduate. I'm hoping I have a shot, I'm going to have to take the PCAT again since I took it in 02' which is really lame.

I also need to take Microbio, Anat & Phys, and Econ at CC which will also give me a chance to boost my GPA.

It sucks if you do so-so in Undergrad you are forever doomed to be judged by that GPA, even if you have more drive and determination later in life and do well in other degrees. Unless you re-do your Bachelor's which is just ridiculous but it's crossed my mind.

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status
RxPlacebo said:
My UGPA cumulative is right around 3.0, UGPA math 3.7, UGPA science 2.7.
I took the PCAT in 2002 and got 90th percentile.
The above stats landed me on the waitlist at U. Maryland back in 03'.

I gave up on Pharmacy because I thought I'd never get in. However, now I'm maintaining a 4.0 GPA in a M.S. in Biotechnology at Johns Hopkins U.

I wonder what Pharm schools if any give most consideration to M.S. degrees.
I've gotten A's in advanced Biochem, Molec Bio, Cell Bio I which will boost my science GPA.

I know my overall cumulative GPA should go from 3.0 to about 3.25 after I graduate. I'm hoping I have a shot, I'm going to have to take the PCAT again since I took it in 02' which is really lame.

I also need to take Microbio, Anat & Phys, and Econ at CC which will also give me a chance to boost my GPA.

It sucks if you do so-so in Undergrad you are forever doomed to be judged by that GPA, even if you have more drive and determination later in life and do well in other degrees. Unless you re-do your Bachelor's which is just ridiculous but it's crossed my mind.
rx - it seems from your post that you have more going for you now than just a masters, altho thats nothing to sneeze at. Your last paragraph indicates you've found a bit more of yourself & your interest since you've lived a bit more & done more. That will reflect, hopefull, in your essay portion, which you should expand on....

The application process is not just about degrees & numbers. Pharmacy schools get so many applications from people who are well qualified on paper, but who can't communicate or have no real drive nor inspiration for the field to make a contribution other than just to fill rxs, get their paycheck & go home.

You would be attractive to those schools who do research - those which are located in a university medical setting. You may not want to do research yourself anymore, but by becoming involved in pharmacy education, you are a prime candidate to translate research into clinical trials or professional or lay education.

Kwizard has some excellent posts about areas in which graduate academic involvement makes a huge difference not just to the clinical portion of the profession, but also to the educational portion.

Some of Z-packs posts also show he likes to hire folks who have some background & knowledge of the greater scheme of how pharmacy interacts with medical economics. Just simple knowledge of the pharmacology of drugs won't give you an understanding & ability to translate what you know into a well thought out & economically rational pharmacy budget.

So...my advice to you....keep doing well in school. When you apply - apply to those schools which are located in university based medical centers, preferably with other medical related schools - medicine or dentistry. When you write your essay....stress how much you have grown - in your understanding of the importance of biotech in this century, how important pharmacists are in relaying not just understanding of medications, but also becoming forces in the rational & responsible economic use of medications, yada, yada, yada.....You'll need to perhaps tailor your essays to the places you apply.

Don't just rely on your masters to make a difference...& they will see that you have made strides - not just academically, but personally.

Good luck!

rxlynn

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I don't know if you had to do the PharmCAS application back in 2002 for Maryland or not, but if you apply to PharmCAS schools, then you will have to list ALL of your coursework that you've ever completed at college level. Therefore, all the schools will be able to see the improving trend on your grades, and that you've taken the time to go to CC for other prereqs. And, as sdn1977 mentions, your added experience with the masters will give you a lot more interesting things to discuss in your essays.

OP
R

RxPlacebo

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Thank you so much sdn1977 for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. When I read it yesterday it really made feel a lot better and put things into perspective. Thank you so much...

pharmagrl

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi Rxplacebo,

Good to know that somebody like me...with a masters in biotech is applying to pharmacy school. We should talk more.

Pharmagrl