INeedInfo

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi all,

GPA issues are quite a common problem with students pursuing this, and other pre-health careers. Maybe they go to a relatively difficult school. Perhaps, they goofed off the first 2 years at their university. Or a shameful science GPA. I know that pharmacy schools will definitely look at the last two years of the courseload taken by the student in any case and make sure that the load is sufficiently challenging and the GPA is relatively high. However, for people who have f'd up on a lot of classes, even straight 4.0 GPA in the upper division science classes is not going to raise up a sorry gpa that much. Therefore, I am wondering how to circumvent this problem (as a friend of mine has this exact situation.... :laugh: ). The most logical answer seems to find a pharm school that places more emphasis on the PCAT compared to other schools (the title to this post is asking for too much, I know; ie., it's probably impossible to find a school that places MORE importance on the PCAT than the GPA...although it is a better comparison of a wide rrange of students).

SO I am wondering if any of you conscientious pre-pharm and pharm students know of colleges that downplay the importance fo a high GPA as compared with the PCAT. Thus my friend ;) can stop worrying so much about his 2.6 GPA and look forward to putting a lot of energy into the PCAT and acing it.

patmcd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Southern US
Status
Pharmacist
If you've really turned your grades around that much then that will show the adcom that you've turned yourself around.

OP
I

INeedInfo

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
patmcd said:
If you've really turned your grades around that much then that will show the adcom that you've turned yourself around.
OH NO! I wish...I was saying that even WITH a 4.0 for the few remaining quarters I would not be able to boost my overall gpa by that much, numerically. I have only gotten a 2.85 (B in Physiology, and B- in a higher than my level humanities course) and 3.7(Upper division analytic chem and physiology labs and physics) GPA since my first 3 years of laziness and pathetic performance.

OP
I

INeedInfo

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
So NOBODY knows of schools that tend to emphasize PCAT scores more so than the rest of the bunch :confused:

About the Ads