Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Which pharmacy school should I attend?? Need Help..UMICH v. OSU v. Cinn v. Creig

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by harishchandra, Mar 8, 2007.

1. harishchandra

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  2. Dr.Biassi

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Which State are you from? In-state school are always the best. Cheaper if you are from the state. Other than that U michigan and ohiop State are really good. Well established program. You need to weight your options though

3. acetyl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I was admitted to Michigan and Ohio State (OSU?) so I can comment that both of these programs are very good. I really enjoyed my visit to Columbus and think that you will receive a great education at either of these schools. However, I was told by the Dean, that after your first year at OSU, you can become an in-state resident and pay like about $17,000/year less in tuition than out-of-state folks. Michigan requires you to pay the out-of-state tuition all 4 years-so there is definetly a quantative difference between these two programs as far as tuition is concerned. I believe they both have great faculty and academics and tend to think the diversity would be greater at Michigan. Their application stated that.

4. KellyBean

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I'm glad to see you enjoyed your visit to Columbus, acetyl. I've lived there for over 10 years and thinking of moving back there after graduation. I didn't like Columbus that much when I lived there, but after being to few other places...man, I don't know what I was complaining before. I think it's a great city and OSU is a great school. Food is especially good on campus (on high street). Chinese, Greek, Italian, Vietnamese, Indian, etc..etc...I mean you name it, and they have it. I'm drooling just thinking about it. I've been to Michigan a few years back and OMG...it was TOO COLD. But other than that, it is similar to Ohio State.

I don't like Cincinnati. The area on campus is not good. Parking is probably worse than OSU.

5. calipharming

calipharming member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Congratulations! Definitely go with either Michigan or Ohio State if you care about reputation and academics. These two schools are both top 10 schools so you can't go wrong with either one. Plus, they both have great football teams.:D But yeah, you should consider other things like tuition and location.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OP
    OP
    harishchandra

2+ Year Member

I am out of state for both UMICH and OSU.

7. calipharming

calipharming member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    In that case, Ohio State will be cheaper, assuming you become a resident by your second year. It could save you about $20,000 times 3 years. Did you visit either campus by any chance? Which one do you like better?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. bootymuncher

bootymuncher New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Go to Umich! We might be classmates! I'm 60% leaning towards Umich, just waiting on my in-state school before I finalize my decision. Like you, prestige of the academics, school, and faculty are important to which school I plan to go to next year but then the out-of-state tuition is weighing alot on my mind...probably will be needing to take out $40K a year to attend school. Their alumni seem to love their education at Michigan considering the funds they have set up for pharmd students and their curriculum stresses clinical/research practice and 30% of their graduates go onto residencies, which is something I plan on doing.
    I feel you though, tough decisions lie ahead for you-OSU and Buffalo are great schools too..

9. gators14

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Well not as good as a football team as FLORIDA:thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    harishchandra

2+ Year Member

Even I'm leaning towards UMICH...although I haven't visited the campus, I've heard nice things about Ann Arbor. But OSU will be much cheaper if I get the in-state tuition. Tough choice!!!

11. calipharming

calipharming member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Actually, if you consider what you will be making, the $60,000 difference beween Michigan and Ohio State is not that big a difference. If you really like Michigan, I wouldn't let tuition keep you from going there.

12. lvp0021

10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    OSU in my opinion is better though. Like Acetyl, I did enjoy my interview at OSU. The school is nice and people seem to share a family atmosphere and not a competition one. OSU also has school for other profession like med, vet, nursing, PA... and there is the IPC where you will join in with students from other profession. OSU is a large prestigious school that has a lot to offer. Too bad, I can't go and have to stay within my homestate due to the hassle of moving. If I was somewhere near Ohio, I'd definitely choose to attend OSU (I got accepted to OSU by the way)