Which pharmacy schools also do drug development/research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddie269

Still in shock...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Some advice I got from people on this board is to use my econ. background to my advantage in pharmacy. Do research, write an article, do something! well, here I am trying to write an article and do some basic research.

I need to know what pharmacy schools out there do drug development or is in the process or is considering it. I know Albany college in New York is the leader in this and they already have a company. I read they also just expanded their facilities to further their research and development. Just want to see if anyone knows of any other schools following this new trend. Any info, leads, suggestions, opinions, donations =) jk. Let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I would hazard a guess that almost every pharmacy school is doing drug research. I don't know, but I would think any pharmacy school that also has a medical school would be doing some really interesting stuff.

Most of our lectures are given by researchers who apply what they are doing to the course that they are teaching. For instance, in Micro last week, our lecturerer was Dr. Yamamoto who works with developing HIV and FIV vaccines. She was originally a researcher from UC Davis and is now at the vet school at UF.

hmm, true. I guess I should emphasize drug development. Basically we have biotech companies and other companies that only does drug development (which includes research and all). I'm sure most schools do research of some kind but not many actually attempt to development the drug themselves. It just costs too much and its a huge risk money wise.

I'm still doing some research so I don't know too much yet. But I just found the Albany school of Pharm situation very interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF, UCSD, SC all have connections to biotech/pharmaceutical firms. Industry and academia in pharmacy have coalesced to the extent that you'll never have to go far to get connected to drug development. Several of the grad student TAs at SC are doing joint projects. Moreover, hella pharm students are from industry. We've got more former amgen and pfizer employees than you can shake a stick at.

I had a feeling the gap between schools and drug development was very small but I haven't seen many schools who were as "gung ho" as Albany. Here's the article I found. Good read if you have an extra few minutes.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2004/01/26/story8.html?page=1

I guess I am looking for more schools who are so into drug development, that they would bring it into the commercial level (as supposed to just doing research behind doors). Maybe Albany is the only school so far who has brought it to the commercial level.

But thanks again for those schools listed. I will make note and find out more info about them. I'm sure most of them are looking to do the same as Albany. I just got to find out specifically which ones.

Don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for.... but...

I work in Phase I FDA research, for one of the largest Phase I clinics in the world. I know a little bit about other clinical research centers around the US.

The University of Florida has a longstanding clinical research facility where they conduct Phase I-IV trials. It apparently occupies over 9,700 sq. ft. on the third floor of Shands Hospital in Jacksonville. You can read more about the University of Florida General Clinical Research Center here:
http://www.gcrc.ufl.edu/index.html
You can read about their active research protocols on that site as well.

The University of Florida is (according to one of our Phase I pharmacists here) also one of the only universities in the US with a specialized focus on clinical research. Check out this link about their program:
http://www.ufhscj.edu/pharmacy/research.asp

I'm really interested in what I can do in clinical research as a pharmacist, so that is why I applied to the U of F -- but I have not heard anything from them and absolutely don't expect to get in as I am out-of-state! Oh well!

I can probably answer a lot of questions about clinical research (well, Phase I anyway) or the general stages of drug development. PM me if ya want.
Shannon

Thanks Shannon. I will PM you in a little bit. I never knew much about the stages on development but I know I can use this info in my article. Thanks for your help.