1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Which Physics book is better

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MedQuest, Nov 6, 2002.

1. MedQuest

MedQuest Da Truth
    7+ Year Member

Just wondering what physics book i should add to my cocktail of MCAT books. The EK physics or NOVA's The MCAT Physic's book.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker
    7+ Year Member

Mind you, I have only briefly looked at EKs while I have used Nova's in tutoring, so it's not a perfect comparison. But from what I've seen, EK absolutely, positively blows the Nova book out of the water. The Nova publishers should feel honored to have their books mentioned in the same breath with EK's physics book.

And the sad thing is, the Nova physics book is worlds better than the Nova chemistry book.

So which is the worst book out there, Nova chemistry or REA's six-exam test booklet?

4. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I completely agree the nova chem book isn't good at all.

5. WonderBoy

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have both of the books, I used EK physics for the August mcat. Than recently I bought the Nova Physics, I thought it may be better, since some have been singing praises about it. Well I was greatly disappointed just after a few minutes of reading it. Needless to say I returned it already.

Without trying to sound like some EK ad. Go with their Physics book it makes everything much easier to swallow, while Nova seems to complicate material.

I found that the 1001 Q's in physics helps also if physics is a real pain in the ass for you. Its not mcat based Q's, but its geared toward helping you get the concepts. Do all the problems if you get the book, you have enough time.

6. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I recently went on the EK website to check out prices and peeked in on their bulletin. One of the administrators had suggested reading a book called "Thinking Physics". Supposedly this book is good for those of us (myself included) who are really struggling with physics. Has anyone heard of it? What did you think?

7. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you can get the EK materials slightly cheaper from amazon.com or bamm.com or bn.com I believe.

I got audio osmosis through buy.com for $50 less then what Ek.com sells it for.

8. dph201

dph201 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for the info. lmbebo. We all know cheaper is always better.

9. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey just giving my humble opinion ok?

I used nova's PHysics book and Chem books. I LOVE THE PHYSICS... HATE THE CHEM.

I've also used Ek's physics 1001 questions- and thought it was way too detailed and took away from studying the 'concepts' necessary in physics.

Anyways- at least it worked for me. i used the nova's physics book- and I recvd a 13 on the section last april. First time I took the mcat- i got a 10 in physics.

10. MedQuest

MedQuest Da Truth
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the input everyone but i've made my final decision and decided to go with examkrackers. There was more positive reviews so i guess majority wins. Thanks

11. MedQuest

MedQuest Da Truth
    7+ Year Member

by the way laviddee, Ohio States going to crush michigan:laugh:

12. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey that's the same feelings that ohio state fans had in 95 and 96 when you guys were ranked #2 and #1 and lost to us!

13. MedQuest

MedQuest Da Truth
    7+ Year Member

But this time we have the best coach in the country that handles game by game. Were do you thing i got my signature from.