Which pre-pharm course is easier during summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxdude

California Love
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have to choose between taking MICROBIOLOGY or CALCULUS during the summer. Which one would YOU prefer to take during summer and why? Whichever course I don't take during summer I will take this spring.

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

rxdude said:
Hi,

I have to choose between taking MICROBIOLOGY or CALCULUS during the summer. Which one would YOU prefer to take during summer and why? Whichever course I don't take during summer I will take this spring.

Thanks for your input.

I guess it depends on if you're better in math or science. Personally, I would prefer micro during the summer. I don't think I would want to go to calculus everyday for 6wks.

The more difficult course here is Calculus, so if you can take Calc. by ITSELF during the summer, than I think you will do well, since you will devote all your attention to it. Microbiology is OK with other courses, its doable.

Hope that helps, works for me, that is how I raised my GPA, taking hard courses by themselves.

animal_lover said:
I guess it depends on if you're better in math or science. Personally, I would prefer micro during the summer. I don't think I would want to go to calculus everyday for 6wks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with JordanP, the more difficult course is Calculus. I have taken all of my hard classes in the summer so that I may concentrate on them. Calculus is tough, but Micro would be a heck of a lot tougher in the summer. There is just way too much info to try to push into a summer term, which I am assuming is much shorter than a regular semester or quarter. So my vote would be to go ahead and take the Calculus, that way you when you take Micro, you can take your time and fully understand the material. Good Luck to you, rxdude!!

At my university, Microbiology is a 5 credit course that includes a lab. If that's the same for you, I would take Micro... so you can focus on getting a huge 5 credit hour A boost to your GPA.

Micro. Calc would move too fast in the summer for me to do well.

I dunno, there are pros and cons (for me) of taking either in the summer

CALCULUS
-Full immersion works well for me with math. Doing it every day, intensely for 6 weeks might make it easier than in the regular semester. Sometimes math is easier this way.

MICRO
-It's not math. Also at my school it is 5 hours credit instead of 4 like Calc. This could be a pro or a con, depending.

I think total immersion works better (for me) with math than with other subjects so I'd be inclined to take the math, I think. Also make sure which teachers are teaching these summer classes, and that may affect your decision also...

I'd take whichever course you anticipate will be more difficult as a summer course. For me that would be calculus. I think having it as my only course (although it moves faster) would be better than taking it during the regular semester.

I think Science courses tend to be easier in summer just because they don't have enough time to cover all the materials. I mean they might cut some unnecessary materials at the end. I'd pick Micro.
Good luck! :luck:

JordanP said:
The more difficult course here is Calculus, so if you can take Calc. by ITSELF during the summer, than I think you will do well, since you will devote all your attention to it. Microbiology is OK with other courses, its doable.

Hope that helps, works for me, that is how I raised my GPA, taking hard courses by themselves.

I would agree with this as well. Additionally, Microbiology is very interesting in my opinion and I would not want to rush through it.

Calculus, because I like to get math over with.
I am good at it, but I hate it! Rather take it as a shot, than nursing it for 12 weeks.

Personally, I hate Math and would prefer to get a class like Calculus over with ASAP. I actually decided to take Calc over the summer just for that very reason. If I remember correctly, it was Mon-Fri, an hour and a half a day, and lasted around 5 weeks- but it was totally worth it. I can't imagine having this class drawn out over a whole semester. :sleep:

I completely agree with Smilescali... I found Microbiology to be interesting and very pertinent to pharmacy (you learn all the different types of bacteria and viruses and the illnesses they are associated with). Microbio information is material I would much rather take my time learning about. It's not something I would want to cram into a 5 week summer course, especially because you may use some of your Microbiology knowledge as a pharmacist (whereas calc isn't relevant to actual pharmacy practice). Just my opinion though!

I disagree with the people here.

Elementary Calculus 1 is honestly one of the easiest University courses there is. Actually, most people consider it the easiest first year science course. But I guess if you aren't good at math, then you just aren't good at math.

I'd get Micro Over with, since there's probably a lab component to that.

I would probably not want to cram Micro into 6 weeks. There is a lot of information and as someone posted earlier, it appears a lot more relevant to pharmacy than Calculus.

Calc isn't so bad. Just do the homework and keep practicing. If you do all the practice problems, the problems in the exams should be very similar.

cosmicstarr said:
I would probably not want to cram Micro into 6 weeks. There is a lot of information and as someone posted earlier, it appears a lot more relevant to pharmacy than Calculus.

Calc isn't so bad. Just do the homework and keep practicing. If you do all the practice problems, the problems in the exams should be very similar.

couldn't agree more :)

calrx said:
Personally, I hate Math and would prefer to get a class like Calculus over with ASAP. I actually decided to take Calc over the summer just for that very reason. If I remember correctly, it was Mon-Fri, an hour and a half a day, and lasted around 5 weeks- but it was totally worth it. I can't imagine having this class drawn out over a whole semester. :sleep:

I completely agree with Smilescali... I found Microbiology to be interesting and very pertinent to pharmacy (you learn all the different types of bacteria and viruses and the illnesses they are associated with). Microbio information is material I would much rather take my time learning about. It's not something I would want to cram into a 5 week summer course, especially because you may use some of your Microbiology knowledge as a pharmacist (whereas calc isn't relevant to actual pharmacy practice). Just my opinion though!
:) you said what I was thinking a lot better than I said it. I agree.