Which prep course did you guys take for the USMLE step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BlackPuma

thanks

and which books u recommend besides First Aid...

Members don't see this ad.

Most AMGs don't take prep courses for USMLE exams. However, amongst those that do, Kaplan is popular (as it is for the MCAT). Review books are highly personal; most people I know used the "A" rated review books in the back of First Aid (which is a MUST).

I'll move this over to the USMLE Forum where you might get more action.

I signed up for kaplans Q-Bank, it was totally worth it, I had questions on the StepI that I saw on q-bank, the only thing is it was much cheaper when I took it because it was the first year it was offered! :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
Question bank, (Q-bank) it's aroung 2000 questions online that you can arrange by subject or randomly, after you take a 'test' (50 quetions or so) it will tell you the percentages you got right and wrong for each subject, I did 50 questions a day for 40 days before the exam and it totally helped me out, go to kaptest.com (no I'm not getting paid for this!)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by intern in waiting:
•Question bank, (Q-bank) it's aroung 2000 questions online that you can arrange by subject or randomly, after you take a 'test' (50 quetions or so) it will tell you the percentages you got right and wrong for each subject, I did 50 questions a day for 40 days before the exam and it totally helped me out, go to kaptest.com (no I'm not getting paid for this!)•••••how much does it cost?

QBank is $99 for one month or $199 for three months. you can sign up online, pay with a credit card, and it's active right away. Go to kaplan.com and follow appropriate links, it's easy to find. Note that when you sign up and pay for it, it automatically activates - you can't buy it and specify that you want it to start in, say, two weeks. I am already a huge fan and I've just started doing questions. The build-your-own exam deal is really cool, the explanations are a great review because they explain right AND wrong answers thoroughly. No, Kaplan's not paying me either. On another thread someone commented that doing questions was the only non-boring way to study - I agree. Okay, it's not fun but it's not horribly boring either.

I'm using it too (Q-Bank), and I think it's going to be a huge help. However check with your school and/or classmates first, because you may be able to get a group rate. We were able to talk the Kaplan people down to $60 for a month since so many signed up for the Q-bank. Then again, that price also reflects some cash that our school threw in to help lower the cost even more. In any case, it's a great help, and I would have signed up for 100 bucks too.