Which prep course???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to take a prep course this summer and I want opinions on whether KAPLAN or Princeton review is better.

The KAPLAN course ends in time for me to take the MCAT in the begining of August and the Princeton review ends later so I'd have to take the MCAT on August 14th. THus I'd get my results a couples weeks earlier if I did the KAPLAN course which would obviously be to my advantages since I will already be later in the app cycle than I would like.

Other than that I am impartial. I always thought I would do KAPLAN hands down, but after being on this forum for a while, I'm not so sure which is better.

FYI: Not taking a prep course is not an option for me. I've already made that decision so please no replys telling me they are both useless!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been trying to figure it out and it's one day til I have to sign up and I'm still not sure!! URGH!!! This forum will never help you decide, it will only confuse you more. I think I will draw lots tomorrow night.

People seem to like EK in here...
I'm taking kaplan but I'm not sure if I like it yet.... Sometimes it feels like they are just trying to be "tough" so they can have that kind of rep... Who knows...
Right now I just want to :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

People seem to like EK in here...
I'm taking kaplan but I'm not sure if I like it yet.... Sometimes it feels like they are just trying to be "tough" so they can have that kind of rep... Who knows...
Right now I just want to :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

I should have mentioned that I am doing EK on my own a few hours a week from April-June before prep course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Kaplan's practice questions and explanations excluding verbal are the best.

their class blows.
True. BUT, with kaplan you have 19 practice exams at your disposal (11 kaplan, 8 AAMC). not sure about the rest but this convinced me for kaplan

If you live in California, you can go for the Berkeley Review. They are supposed to be pretty good.

If you need a lot of instruction, go with TPR class. If you feel you can do it on your own, I would go with the EK books, and supplement Physics, Gen Chem, and maybe even O Chem with Kaplan material. I hadn't taken Physics2 or Orgo2 when i took the exam, and felt that my PR class helped teach me that material fairly well. I also used EK bio and COMPLETELY used EK verbal, nothing else. But I got a 31, though (11,10,10), which around these parts is on the low end of the totem pole.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Kaplan's class, b.t.w.

How many practice tests do you get with TPR? Are the classes any better than the KAPLAN classes? People keep saying that KAPLAN classes are crap but the material is good....Both being good would be nice:)

I would do what I did since there really isn't any agreement on the matter...just see which course offers the best times that fit your schedule and take that one. I really don't see either making a big difference because its really your own personal studying that is going to make the difference anyways!

How many practice tests do you get with TPR? Are the classes any better than the KAPLAN classes? People keep saying that KAPLAN classes are crap but the material is good....Both being good would be nice:)

TPR has 8 practice and all the aamc tests as well. I stopped going to class because I just don't have the time to dedicate 2.5 hours on one chapter for a given subject. But the books are very good if you want to learn from the basics. I basically slept through physics 2 so I had to learn it all over again, had a lot of difficulty learning it from kaplan but with tpr I understood everything. Only drawback in my opinion is that they go way way too far into detail.

TPR classes are pretty detailed, which goes back to what I was saying earlier, if you need a lot of instruction, for instance, if it's been awhile since you took a couple classes or havent taken a class or two yet, I think they are the way to go (If you really need classroom instruction). If not, I would go EK books, and supplement with Kaplan or TPR for PS material