Which profs should I choose for LOR??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little127

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is long, please bare with me :)

So I'm trying to decide who to choose to ask for my LORs and I have a predicament (sorry i'm new to this whole app process). I have a lower than average GPA and I want to reflect my personality as well as being a good student.
From my understanding, in general, we are supposed to get one from a dentist, one from a nonscience prof, and two from science profs. So far I got a LOR from the dentist i have been working for as a DA. I also never have been able to become "close" to any of my science profs. So two of the LORS would probably be like, "oh she was a good student because she got this grade in my class.." bs bs bs. My nonscience LOR i'm trying to choose between two....

1. A prof who I had 4 upper div classes with and got all As that knows me. (btw i'm not a science major)
2. A prof I worked personally with and I helped mentor her class with. She probably knows my personality a bit more than #1 prof but never had class with.

Since I have a lower GPA and lack of strong LOR from science dept, i was wondering who should I choose since I already have a strong letter from the dentist about personality/work? I dont know which combination would benefit me the most?

Also, another dentist who I know offered me to write a great LOR. Does having more LOR (having 5 total) hurt me?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

from what i've found, most schools only require 3 lor's, not four. i think unlv requires four? maybe?
i have found that most schools require 2 sci prof and 1 other prof. or 2 sci prof and 1 other person. but i think the dentist option is a good one. i plan on doing that myself.
look at each school you want to apply to and find out what they specifically want.

i would:
get lor's from both dentists and 2 sci prof. try to talk with sci prof first to strengthen their knowledge of you. give them a resume and maybe even a personal statement so they have something to base it on. if you do choose to get one from a non sci prof, i would choose the 2nd one. that prof will know your personality, yes, but more importantly can speak to your extra curricular activities/leadership/mentoring skills which will set you apart more than the grads.
good luck!

thank you so much for your advice!! much appreciated.