Which program?? They all seem great!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in clinical research, preventive medicine, and working internationally as a physician. I've been looking at some one year masters that could complement my MD degree in this regard. I've come across the following programs:

UCSF MSc in Global Health Sciences
GWU MPH in Epidemiology
Stanford MSc Community Health and Prevention Research
JHU MHS in Health Finance and Management
Georgetown MSc in Global Health
Cambridge MPhil in Health, Medicine and Society
Dartmouth MPH

Which one would you choose? I am looking for the program that will help me the most career-wise.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that you could go the route of doing the Standford Msc in Community Health and Prevention Research as then you'd have the hard skills, plus clinical skills to work for an NGO like Doctors Without Borders, both on a clinical level and on an administrative/research level. I think MPHs can be kinda watered down, though you might want to look at the accelerated one at JHU which has a lot of physicians in each class.

I wouldn't do Georgetown, but maybe look at LSHTM too.

I'm interested in clinical research, preventive medicine, and working internationally as a physician. I've been looking at some one year masters that could complement my MD degree in this regard. I've come across the following programs:

UCSF MSc in Global Health Sciences
GWU MPH in Epidemiology
Stanford MSc Community Health and Prevention Research
JHU MHS in Health Finance and Management
Georgetown MSc in Global Health
Cambridge MPhil in Health, Medicine and Society
Dartmouth MPH

Which one would you choose? I am looking for the program that will help me the most career-wise.

I'm thinking that you could go the route of doing the Standford Msc in Community Health and Prevention Research as then you'd have the hard skills, plus clinical skills to work for an NGO like Doctors Without Borders, both on a clinical level and on an administrative/research level. I think MPHs can be kinda watered down, though you might want to look at the accelerated one at JHU which has a lot of physicians in each class.

I wouldn't do Georgetown, but maybe look at LSHTM too.

Hey thanks for the response! I like the Stanford program, but am worried that it won't be recognized since it is not a traditional MPH...would this be an issue for future careers? Unfortunately, I don't qualify for the JHU or LSHTM programs.

Also, why do you say no to Georgetown?

Georgetown isn't ranked on US News and World Report, not that I put a lot into rankings, but I wouldn't say Georgetown is a well-known school for public health.

I think people who are new to public health go for the MPH for a basic foundation, people who know what they're after, and want solid hard skills, go for an Msc in a specific field of public health that interests them. If you want to do Prevention Research you probably want to go to a school that will give you a good background in that. It's not like if you do a general MPH at whatever school then you'll know a lot about prevention research.

Hey thanks for the response! I like the Stanford program, but am worried that it won't be recognized since it is not a traditional MPH...would this be an issue for future careers? Unfortunately, I don't qualify for the JHU or LSHTM programs.

Also, why do you say no to Georgetown?