Which programs have younger, unmarried residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EC3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious since a lot of the bios i read tend to be older folks (late 20's, early 30's). Are there programs out there where the residents are more likely to be single and around 24,25,26 or so? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

"Single" is one thing, but residents 24-26 years old? Only if the program is LOADED with people that graduated HS at 16 or were in 6 or 7 year bachelor's/MD programs.

And, believe it or not, even if they start out at age 26, they're "older folks" by the later part to end of residency.

I guess I will be 26 for about 3 months of my residency, and I only took 1 year off starting from kindergarten. So, I'm guessing there aren't a whole lot of programs out there unless those 6 year pre-med/med programs start cranking them out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apollyon said:
"Single" is one thing, but residents 24-26 years old? Only if the program is LOADED with people that graduated HS at 16 or were in 6 or 7 year bachelor's/MD programs.

And, believe it or not, even if they start out at age 26, they're "older folks" by the later part to end of residency.
i should have been more specific. i meant to say *incoming* residents that are 24-26 years old.

but this is splitting hairs; i'm just trying to get a general feeling about programs that tend to have younger residents who aren't already committed, established, etc.

EC3 said:
i should have been more specific. i meant to say *incoming* residents that are 24-26 years old.

but this is splitting hairs; i'm just trying to get a general feeling about programs that tend to have younger residents who aren't already committed, established, etc.

But that's what I was saying - since the average age of a med student in the US is 27, it would be highly idiosyncratic for an entering class of all to be even 26.

But, as to the essence of your question, it's impossible to say, because - invariably, year to year - it changes. The vagaries of the match are such that one year may be all singles, and the next all married (I've seen it happen).

Personally, I don't think picking residencies based on the meat market that is there is a good idea. Not that I'm saying that this is the OP's reason for asking.
Besides, I generally find more young, single, attractive people in the pediatrics residencies I have seen anyway. EM is always full of grizzled, mean old people.

Kidding.

IbnSina said:
Personally, I don't think picking residencies based on the meat market that is there is a good idea. Not that I'm saying that this is the OP's reason for asking.

Dating within your program is a bad idea anyhow. Don't even date ER nurses if you're in emergency medicine. (Matter of fact, I refuse to date nurses period. Of course I had to learn the hard way on this one when during my intern year I dated an ICU nurse, who made my life miserable when I had to rotate through her ICU as a resident.)

I use the gym, coffee shop, and a great bar as my meat market. :D

southerndoc said:
Dating within your program is a bad idea anyhow. Don't even date ER nurses if you're in emergency medicine. (Matter of fact, I refuse to date nurses period. Of course I had to learn the hard way on this one when during my intern year I dated an ICU nurse, who made my life miserable when I had to rotate through her ICU as a resident.)

I use the gym, coffee shop, and a great bar as my meat market. :D

Don't. Date. The. Nurses.

Words to live by. A few painful stories could be told here, too, in addition to your ICU story.

And if you do, for Christ sakes, don't let her know where you LIVE (shudder)...

for those of you talking about dating, this is not the reason i posted my initial question. i'm more concerned about being with a group of people who can go out after work, or camping, etc. and not have to be tied down with other things. it's just been my experience that those who have families or are married tend to be more tied down with other things and less able to be spontaneous.

and i would never date a nurse or resident for the reasons already mentioned.

Perhaps then your error is assuming that people who are married don't go out and that single people do.

I am sure that assuming that married people are not spontaneous is a gross misrepresentation and that you don't really think that all single people are spontaneous and fun while married people are stagnant and boring.

You would probably do wiser to pick your residency not based on percentage of married/single but instead on the cohesiveness of the residents (socially and at work) as well as the city. I imagine that if you pick a less metropolitin (ie suburban) location, you will have less of a social life. Where as in a major city, you will probaly find more diversity.

EC3 said:
for those of you talking about dating, this is not the reason i posted my initial question. i'm more concerned about being with a group of people who can go out after work, or camping, etc. and not have to be tied down with other things. it's just been my experience that those who have families or are married tend to be more tied down with other things and less able to be spontaneous.

and i would never date a nurse or resident for the reasons already mentioned.

Having people who can go out, camping, etc. is a huge difference from those that will. As an elder spokesman (30 when starting residency), I still can and do go out with co-workers and am more than capable than going camping. Being tied down is definitely not an age related issue. I know that in my medical school class half of them were married and "tied down" before starting med school and they were only 21-22 at the time.

I would recommend rather than looking for a residency with built in friends, you find the right fit and then find those individuals there whose company you enjoy. (you know if you smoke then respiratory would be a good fit, if you're into tattoos/piercings then check out the transport staff, etc.)

And as for dating the nurses, trust me some can be good fits. I know many a successful couple/marriage between a nurse and a physician. It's like any other relationship where you work together, but better make sure you don't get caught with your scrubs down around your ankles.