Which Psychology and Sociology Classes for the 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mounir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm a biochem and mathematics double major at the University of Michigan.

I wanted to know which psychology classes would be most beneficial for the 2015 MCAT. I'd also like to take psych classes that aren't dry and boring. I've taken Honors Intro to Psych as of now.

I can take two more Psych classes to fit in my schedule. My two ideas are taking Intro to Psychopathology next term and then Developmental Psychology or Mathematical Psychology next year first term or to take Intro to Cognitive Psychology next term and then Biopsychology next year first term.

Also, for sociology, would just taking the honors intro to sociology be fine?

And, finally, on an unrelated note, if I used AP Chem credit to get out of General Chem and its lab requirement, do medical schools take biochem labs for the general chemistry lab requirement?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

What about with med school requirements? I've heard some med schools require psychopathology.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about with med school requirements? I've heard some med schools require psychopathology.

MSAR tells you each schools BASE requirements for applying i think. So you should look into that and see what schools you want to apply to, and than make your class choice decisions. Not all schools are the same.

I don't think any school requires abnormal psych. However It along with social psych probably would be helpful.

I was a psychology major in college and I think I was extremely helpful for the MCAT and for understanding things outside of the little bubble I feel basic science throws you in. I don't know anything about the new 2015 MCAT but I would definitely recommend taking at least:

1. Intro to Psychology
2. Abnormal Psychology
3. Biopsychology
(4.) Research Methods

I would also recommend a class that facilitates thinking about social issues like a philosophy course in Ethics. These i feel prepared me enormously for the verbal section on the current MCAT, not only through a lot of experience with writing and comprehension but also experience with a lot of the social issues the verbal section talks about, funny enough. There are other psychology courses Ive taken which have actually helped me in medical school (a lot) by providing some foundation, courses like: clinical psychopharmacology, biopsychology, stats, etc... I hope any of this helps

Hi,
I didn't have any classes or courses in psychology/sociology in school. I really appreciate it if someone could share her/his course's pamphlet with me.
Thanks

I took intro psych and socio but I feel like they didn't cover much material and were so easy. We only went through like a third of the textbook :bored:

Reactions: 1 user
Very easy to self study both to be honest, classes don't help much (or at all).

Reactions: 1 user
Social psych if it's available, probably benefit the most from it. In my class we applied a lot of the concepts from general psych, which was surprising.

Man this 2015 mcat has finally made my psych degree worth something. Still not worth much, but oh well :)