Which psychology class for 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

I will be done with all of the basic prereqs by the end of next year and will take the 2015 MCATS afterwards.
I already took Gen Psychology 101 and Sociology 101.

I have a free spot on my schedule and was debating between Social Psychology and Abnormal Psychology?
Any thoughts on which of the two would better prepare me for the 2015 MCATs?

Members don't see this ad.

probably social psych

Members don't see this ad :)
Learning and Social Psych. Both go in detail that gen psych didn't into.

Kaplan endorses Abnormal Psychology as they claim there will be a lot of emphasis on schizophrenia in psychology/sociology section of the new MCAT.

I just finished social psych, and it went into much more detail than did the intro.

However, not sure if its because of my prof teaching style, we didnt really came across any theorists names during this class, but also not saying I didnt learn.

I enjoyed that class together with child development and psych brain and behavior much more than i did my into to psych.

I don't think you really "need" any...the sections supposed to have passages that you answer questions to, so it'll be a matter of practice not "learning" material. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm too lazy to check AAMC again. I'm a rising junior and i'm not gonna stress to fit these classes in because it's really not fair to expect us to take these new recommended courses in time (and I honestly don't think adcoms will). Already gonna be scrambling to get biochem in. Social sciences can hold off, pisses me off, the science classes we have to take are already hard enough and they just keep sprinkling on more. How are we supposed to double major or minor (AKA be human) if these so called requirements to do well on the MCAT keep bumping out open time.

I bet A+P or biochem would be a better use of time if you haven't taken those yet.

I don't think you really "need" any...the sections supposed to have passages that you answer questions to, so it'll be a matter of practice not "learning" material. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm too lazy to check AAMC again. I'm a rising junior and i'm not gonna stress to fit these classes in because it's really not fair to expect us to take these new recommended courses in time (and I honestly don't think adcoms will). Already gonna be scrambling to get biochem in. Social sciences can hold off, pisses me off, the science classes we have to take are already hard enough and they just keep sprinkling on more. How are we supposed to double major or minor (AKA be human) if these so called requirements to do well on the MCAT keep bumping out open time.

This isn't another verbal section. I'm going to assume that if AAMC recommends you take these courses, there will be an expectation to know the material and terms they use. Skipping these courses will make studying much more difficult and probably result in a lower score consequently.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

This isn't another verbal section. I'm going to assume that if AAMC recommends you take these courses, there will be an expectation to know the material and terms they use. Skipping these courses will make studying much more difficult and probably result in a lower score consequently.

What? Just because you took a course doesn't mean you're prepared. I took a psych class freshmen year, no way I remember any of it...gonna have to restudy anyway.

Stress yourselves out if you want but even my premed office is only heavily advising these new classes to the incoming freshmen, not the rising upperclassmen.

What? Just because you took a course doesn't mean you're prepared. I took a psych class freshmen year, no way I remember any of it...gonna have to restudy anyway.

Stress yourselves out if you want but even my premed office is only heavily advising these new classes to the incoming freshmen, not the rising upperclassmen.

So I'm also assuming you recommend studying for the MCAT without taking any of the prereqs either? Same logic.

Restudying something is much easier and faster than learning it for the first time.

Also your premed advising does that because most people who will take the new MCAT are underclassmen. They assume rising/current upperclassmen will take the old one.

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm also assuming you recommend studying for the MCAT without taking any of the prereqs either? Same logic.

Restudying something is much easier and faster than learning it for the first time.

Also your premed advising does that because most people who will take the new MCAT are underclassmen. They assume rising/current upperclassmen will take the old one.

1. pre-reqs are REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION, totally different
2. No, premed office still always recommends taking MCAT spring of junior year so no they don't all assume we're taking the old one...it's understand that the class will be split between old and new MCAT

1. pre-reqs are REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION, totally different
2. No, premed office still always recommends taking MCAT spring of junior year so no they don't all assume we're taking the old one...it's understand that the class will be split between old and new MCAT

Read carefully. I will repeat myself with different words this time. I'm assuming you also recommend not taking the prereqs prior to studying for the MCAT as well? Restudying old material is much easier and faster than learning it for the first time.

If your premed office thinks that upperclassmen have some magical powers that allow them to take a test without the required classes better than underclassmen can, then I don't know what to say...

Physiology in Psychology is also a third option.

But from what I'm reading, social would potentially help the most?

Physiology in Psychology is also a third option.

But from what I'm reading, social would potentially help the most?

Physiology in psychology would probably pertain mostly to the brain and certain neurotransmitters (at least in my experience). The psychology on the 2015 MCAT looks like it will focus more on social psychology.

I'm trying to skip having to take sociology 101 when I can take social psychology. I would appreciate it if someone could weigh in regarding if the latter covers the material presented in intro sociology.

Basically, would someone who has taken these courses confidently say that social psych adequately covers intro sociology to the extent that one would be prepared for the MCAT?