which R the least & most diverse Top 20 schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jmejia1, Jul 11, 2001.

1. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member

I'm interested in knowing which top 20 schools are the most diverse. I know UC San Diego is one of the least diverse schools, actually a UCSD interviewer told a friend of mine that lack of diversity was a weakness at thier school. I know Duke and Johns Hopkins makes an effort to recruit African Americans but not Mexican Americans. Any top schools making an effort to get diverse entering classes?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. scootad.

scootad. Senior Member

UCSD is not top 20. :)

4. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Depends what you are counting as diversity --at UCSD, 50% of the class is made up of "minority" students, and I think around 9% of those are URM's. Baylor is also 50% minority students, 20% of the students are URM's, and they offer scholarships to some URM students. I found Wash U to be less diverse than these two schools, and the statistics supported that -- 35% minority students, and 9% are URM's.

One way to research the actual percentages is via the usnews.com site, and their med school search page Med School Search. You can then type in the name of the school you want, and when the info. for that school is displayed, there is a section "More info. on this school" with a pull-down menu -- select "student body." If you are truly interested in this question, I highly encourage you to research some of it on your own, and not just take for granted the impressions of others.

5. freshity

freshity Senior Member

that's a good question, jmejia. when i interviewed at case western, they distributed a list compiled by some organization that showed the schools with the highest %'s of urm's (i think--but it may have been just african am's) in their student body. if you really wanted it, i bet you could contact case western's office of student affairs/minority affairs to see if they can get you that info. or know from whence it came. unfortunately, i must have tossed it when i did post-iv clean-up. off the top of my head, case western was very high on the list, as was harvard, ucsf, and pitt.

6. Oceandust

Oceandust Senior Member

At this point in the summer, Stanford's class entering in fall 2001 must be among the most diverse.

28% are URM and 55% women in a class of 86. When you think historically about med school composition at prestigious medical schools, having only 15 students who are male AND white OR asian, or less than 17% of the class, it's mind boggling. I'm curious as to what percentage women and URMs comprised in the total applicant pool. Do you guys think they made up 55% and 28% respectively, or was the pool "enriched" to produce the current student body?
    http://deansnewsletter.stanford.edu/main.html#2

7. DJ W.R.

DJ W.R. Senior Member

Check out the AAMC MSAR...it gives a pretty good breakdown of the URMs accepted at each school

8. Denilson

Denilson Senior Member

I think politics and PC has a lot to do with the admissions process...well, the whole country is based onpolitics and political correctness due to the overwhelming number of lawsuits...

9. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

I doubt that Stanford had a significantly higher proportion of URM applicants relative to other schools.

My take is that Stanford is particularly devoted to choosing a diverse class and will go further than most schools will (even the other top schools) to ensure this.

The numbers you cited are certainly not representative of the URM population in the total applicant pool.

10. djipopo

djipopo SDN Angel

Resident [Any Field]
    hey fre****y,

if you could look up that information or point me in the right direction that would be excellent! thanks

seren