Which rejection hurt the most and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSF - I have worked at an affiliated hospital for 3 years WITH a member of the adcom... and STILL can't get an interview (booo).

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I see how it is.. I am the ONLY person to have ever received a rejection... geesh.

Flopotomist said:
Oh I see how it is.. I am the ONLY person to have ever received a rejection... geesh.

Sad but true. :rolleyes:

Ok fine I will chime in. I've received only one so far... but it still hurt because it made absolutely no sense. Wake Forest - pre-sec! wtf mate, my numbers are *well* above their averages for me to be rejected pre-sec.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:

Flop, you got a rejection?? I ain't never got onna dem!

J/K... my UCSF rejection sucked too, because I've been working for them for a while and figured that would actually help. I guess having us pay the secondary fee would have no effect since we are both employed by them.

Stanford. I was digging their medical humanities track, but got the axe so quick it must've been a pure numbers cut.

I vote any rejection hurts. They all suck :thumbdown: . Sorry for the delay flop, wiping the tears out of my eyes after being rejected from a caribbean school. Couldn't see the keyboard. :smuggrin:

My (inevitable) rejection from UCLA hurts. I'm doing 2 degrees here! Cut me some slack and AT LEAST send me a friggin' secondary!@#%$!#% What the hell!!

GEORGETOWN GEORGETOWN GEORGETOWN

I didnt like the way they wrote their lettter...at least other schoools still made you feel semi-important. It was just sad being told..."yes your suspicions are confirmed...YOU ARE UNWORTHY of our schooll..."

*sigh*

Can you tell I got the rejection today :smuggrin:

Hmmm, seems the consensus is that getting rejected from your ugrad school or a school where you have worked/volunteered is the worst.

Don't they know they're losing alumni donations if they refuse even to interview you...hehe

My boyfriend, freshman year in high school.

Oh, wait, we're talking about med schools. :oops: My bad. Mayo might hurt *almost* as much as that did. :)

i think the state schools you're most dependent on hurt the most. unless you're a Cali resident (with no safety schools), that could mean it's over.

TheDarkSide said:

Oh, wait, we're talking about med schools. :oops: My bad. Mayo might hurt *almost* as much as that did. :)
I read this looking at John Spencer's pic in your avatar, and hearing his voice in my head reading this - very disturbing image.

Flopotomist said:
I read this looking at John Spencer's pic in your avatar, and hearing his voice in my head reading this - very disturbing image.

Oh, wow, that would be. :eek: Clearly, it's time to change the avatar.

Members don't see this ad :)
we'll see.....if I get into my top choice, then none of them will hurt, but if not, it will be a painful rejection indeed :(

Waitlisted at my alma mater - that hurt the most. It wasn't my top choice, but it was supposed to be my "sure thing". Nothing creates panic like losing a sure thing.

gary5 said:
...but it was supposed to be my "sure thing". Nothing creates panic like losing a sure thing.
No such thing. :( :smuggrin:

Pewl said:
My (inevitable) rejection from UCLA hurts. I'm doing 2 degrees here! Cut me some slack and AT LEAST send me a friggin' secondary!@#%$!#% What the hell!!

I'm with you on this one. What. The. Hell. Not even a secondary?

I haven't gotten mine yet, but Colorado will be my worst one with Loyola a close second. Those should be two good days I have coming up. Maybe they will both come on the same day. One can dream.

Flopotomist said:
UCSF - I have worked at an affiliated hospital for 3 years WITH a member of the adcom... and STILL can't get an interview (booo).

My GWU rejection stung - mostly because it was my first rejection (post-secondary), but also because I am from the DC area and I loved GW's program. I did not think the first rejection would hurt so much. After getting other interview invites, though, my other rejections did not hurt so much.

BU-- because the email said something about how my rejection hurts them more than it hurts me...?

i think the worst so far is being put on interminable hold at schools you are really interested in. it's like a sideways rejection. you know they're never going to take you off of the hold list, so that means you will just be left to wonder until it's the first day of classes and you still haven't heard anything back.

GWU and UCSF, that means you.

TheDarkSide said:

I still think you are going to get into Mayo...You interviewed there didn't you? Keep your head up...You'll get in!

As for me, Vanderbilt hurt. I applyed last minute because my father told me to. I didn't even want it, but was still hurt when they rejected me pre-secondary. It was the first...sigh..okay i'm over it.

Well, I can now officially join this thread.

Pritzker.

It hurts b/c of multiple reasons:
1) It's the first one
2) My chances of ending up in Chicago now seem to be next to nothing, since I'm also on-hold at Loyola.
3) I really thought I was a strong candidate there.
4) I didn't apply to Duke b/c I had to choose which app to finish on time and wanted Chicago more.

Well, I can now officially join this thread.

Pritzker.

Great, now how the hell am I going to get into Pritzker when they reject people like you? That's a death sentence for me... did you screw your interview up or something? *sigh*

Wake Forst was tough because it happened within a few weeks of having my AMCAS sent out (July). I thought it was a sign of bad things to come. U of Chicago was difficult (although expected) because it really was the last school I hadn't heard from that I absolutely wanted to interview at.

titoincali said:
Wake Forst was tough because it happened within a few weeks of having my AMCAS sent out (July). I thought it was a sign of bad things to come. U of Chicago was difficult (although expected) because it really was the last school I hadn't heard from that I absolutely wanted to interview at.

I second that.. Wake Forest's rejection was like a dagger in the heart. So soon, so swift, so rude.. Maybe because we're Californians and are just applying there because we want to get in somewhere!!, anywhere!!

shinenjk said:
Great, now how the hell am I going to get into Pritzker when they reject people like you? That's a death sentence for me... did you screw your interview up or something? *sigh*

This was a pre-interview rejection

Pewl said:

But then you'd be b*tching that they took your money and rejected you post-secondary. :smuggrin:

LizzyM said:
But then you'd be b*tching that they took your money and rejected you post-secondary. :smuggrin:

Yow!

I'd gladly pay anyone $100 to erase the shame of a presecondary rejection...

UW-Madison...just because they were the only school that didn't even let me fill out their secondary.

which rejection hurts the most? none cos i have not gotten any rejections yet. I hope to hear back from NYU first, then i will reject everyone else apart from stanford even before they reject me.
They need to experience the pain too.
good luck guys

DocMD85 said:
GEORGETOWN GEORGETOWN GEORGETOWN

I didnt like the way they wrote their lettter...at least other schoools still made you feel semi-important. It was just sad being told..."yes your suspicions are confirmed...YOU ARE UNWORTHY of our schooll..."

*sigh*

Can you tell I got the rejection today :smuggrin:

They didn't really write that, did they? :wow:

Philo said:
They didn't really write that, did they? :wow:
I got their letter too. It wasn't good.

Stanford. those bastards! almost all my family went there and this is my 2nd time applying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Will Ferrell said:
i think the state schools you're most dependent on hurt the most. unless you're a Cali resident (with no safety schools), that could mean it's over.

Oh... so sad.. and such.. a reality.

... :p Oh well.

The SUNY Buffalo rejection hurt the most. I really really wanted to interview there and hoped I was at least a semi-somewhat match for their schools. I cried myself to sleep that night :( .

i wanted to go there because my best friend goes there and she loves it more than words can explain. she feels the school is like a family and they treat her wonderfully. plus the school is known for producing great physicians. i actually cried when the rejection letter came. In all honesty, they have the most polite rejection letter i have seen so far. they give you the impression like it is more of their fault than yours that you cannot be accepted.

NYU- they can kiss my not-so-hairy brown butt ;)

Alma mater and I applied through an Early Assurance program to the school (open to NYU undergrads only) yet I didn't even get an interview

Screw em!

This may be perverse, but it hurts me a lot more to withdraw from schools than it did to get any of my rejections. I was certainly disappointed about getting rejected, especially pre-secondary at what was initially my top choice school. But I felt much more angst about declining an interview even though it was to a school I knew I wouldn't attend any more. I finally did do it, but it definitely hurt.

slmsmith said:
BU-- because the email said something about how my rejection hurts them more than it hurts me...?

That is a load of crap...I'm sure they were really disturbed by having to reject us! I just got my rejection from there too. I got my masters at BU med (and did well), volunteered at their school, worked and did research at their hospital and yet no love.

Vanderbilt. Because it was my first one and pre-secondary and when I called admissions (I believe the dean), he basically told me my MCAT sucked and, then refering to my ECs, said, "Well, you are JUST AVERAGE."

CORNELL rejection pre-interview was a stab in the heart for me...and still hurts. Even though my numbers were not competitive enough, I work at the college for 2 years now and volunteer in their NYP hospital at nights. I love it, and hoped to at least get an interview :(

I have to add NYU. I did my Masters there with a 3.8 GPA, and have 3 LORs from NYU faculty. I did not get an interview at NYU. IT hurt at first, but now I just hate the arrogant bastards. Still, Cornell hurts more, since they are way nicer and a better school :oops: