1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which Research Opportunity to Take

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Merissa87, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Merissa87

Merissa87 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have the option of taking part in one of these 2 research studies in the Texas Medical Center this fall. I am a Nutrition major. Ok.. here they are:

1.) The general theme of his research is related to the physiology of chronic inflammation and inflammatory obesity.

2.) Dr. XXX, from the College of Pharmacy , is currently recruiting students for his research in infectious diseases and anti-infective pharmacology.

Which one would be viewed as more valuable on my app?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. VPDcurt

VPDcurt 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Personally, I think both would be equally valuable. What you get out of the research is essentially equivalent to what you put into it. I would just go ahead and pick the one you are more interested in. For me, it would definitely be the first one. Second one sounds like hell on earth.

4. burntfries

burntfries Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    if you are equally interested in both, pick the lab where you will be able to do the most (i.e. independent projects, research theses, publication possibilities, etc) and get the most interaction with your professor. the latter is especially important if you hope to eventually get a strong LOR from him/her.

5. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Go with #2. Sounds kinky.

6. ParvatiP

ParvatiP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would also pick whatever interests you most, I think they would both be viewed equally on an application. You should contact the doctors in charge of each project and find out what sort of role you will have with the research too, what kind of things you will be doing, etc. to help you choose. Both sound cool to me, the second one more so bc I'm interested in infectious diseases!

7. bbas

bbas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    In terms of med school admissions, research is reseach. Go with the one that interests you most. (For me, that would be #2)

8. g3pro

g3pro Dr. Mogley
    7+ Year Member

Be wary of professors who openly recruit students. They're either desperate for some side-action or they need help to get some data for a grant proposal because otherwise they'd be out on the street.

9. hateroftheyear

hateroftheyear professional player hater
    5+ Year Member

Assuming that you are equally interested in both areas, and the mentors both click with you, might want to tour the lab and see if any attractive members of the opposite sex catch your eye. Trust me, after three years of looking at the same decaying forty-year old postdoc and japanese grad student, I'm getting a little sick of the utter lack of change in scenery.

10. Sarak510

Sarak510 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hahaha ouch. yes...this is very true

11. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    go with the second. the first one's scope is too narrow and while you'll learn a huge amount of physiology, i doubt the actual work will be very interesting.

but that's from my standpoint. you have the opportunity to weigh other factors to determine which would be best for you. don't choose for med school apps as both are equally weighed probably.