Which Residency/Specialty Do You Think Is The Best Choice...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am interested in working as an attending in the "Fast Track" area of an emergency room/Urgent Care center, and wanted some input from the various individuals here on which residency/specialty would be the best choice to proceed towards this goal.

I was thinking that an EM specialty would be the best course of action, but I was told that if I only want to work "Fast Track"/Urgent Care center then I would be better off doing a FP or even an IM residency and then possibly doing a fellowship in a field related to emergency medicine. Is this a good advice?

Furthermore, I have heard that many hospitals ER's, "Fast Track" area or not, are gravitating toward an EM only trained staff. Is this indeed the future of EM in the United States? or will there still be a place for FP & IM trained physicians as attendings in America's Emergency Departments?

For anyone who has never heard of or is wondering what a "Fast Track"/Urgent Care center is, its the area of the ER/Center that deals with injuries/illness that can typically be discharged inside of one shift and the patient usually doesn't need to be admitted or have lengthy/significantly invasive diagnostic procedures done (Think simple fractures, small foreign body removal, small lacs, non-complex infections, etc...)

Any information that can be provided regarding this topic or my queries is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the fast tracks in my part of the country are staffed with NP's and PA's who run over to the ER to talk to a doc if they are unsure of something. I think any physician is probably overtrained to deal with those kinds of issues. Doesn't mean it can't be done if that's what you want. From what I understand, ER's nationwide are still only staffed around 40% by ER trained physicians. I'd be real surprised if even ED's that require ER physicians require that for their fast tracks.

Yeah, our ER Quick Care is NPs and PAs - seems to be a waste of a medical education and residency to me to focus on "Fast Track" areas - I'd imagine you'd get bored quickly. I'd go for EM to expand your horizons and on the chance that you might be "tracked" to the regular ER from time to time.