Which residencys offer in-patient eating disoder facilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barbiegirl3000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year medical student interested in going on to Psychiatry residency training followed by Child and Adolescent Psychiatry fellowship training. One particular area I am interested in is treatment of eating disordered patients. I am having trouble finding out which residency programs have in-patient eating disorder facilities affiliated with the programs so I can further investigate them for audition rotation and application purposes. If anyone knows which programs offer such training opportunities, I would very much appreciate if you could share that information with me. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a third year medical student interested in going on to Psychiatry residency training followed by Child and Adolescent Psychiatry fellowship training. One particular area I am interested in is treatment of eating disordered patients. I am having trouble finding out which residency programs have in-patient eating disorder facilities affiliated with the programs so I can further investigate them for audition rotation and application purposes. If anyone knows which programs offer such training opportunities, I would very much appreciate if you could share that information with me. Thanks for any help you can offer!

I believe that there are only a few inpatient treatment facilities in the country for patients with eating disorders. I don't know if they are associated with a training program but my impression is that few programs provide residents with specific rotations in eating disorders. There is no good way to find the information except to search the website of each program. In our program our PGY2s receive a full rotation at an intensive day hospital/residential treatment program that deals specifically with eating disorders.

Members don't see this ad :)
Western Psych (UPMC) had a program when I rotated there as a med student and I still believe they have one although I am not sure.

Of note, I did my eating disorders rotation on an outpatient basis as an adult psychiatry resident. I found it was more representative/pertinent to what I am seeing as a practicing psychiatrist. Just my 2 cents and it may not be applicalble to you situation.

I think WPIC (Pitt) has one, but am not 100% sure.

Harvard Longwood/Children's Hospital Boston

Harvard Longwood/Children's Hospital Boston

I am not aware that Children's has an inpatient eating disorder unit, although I'm sure they admit eating disordered patients to the inpatient child unit.

Maryland and Hopkins both have specialized eating disordered teams/units.

1) University Hospital at Princeton
(No, it's not part of Princeton U., it's only carefully worded to make it sound like such. Princeton has no medical school. It's actually a part of UMDNJ).

It's not part of a residency program. They will take people for electives but be prepared to go through a lot of red tape.

2) SUNY Stoney Brook.

Columbia has a required rotation on an inpatient unit that is mostly patients with eating disorders enrolled in research protocols, but who usually require intensive treatment before they begin research participation.

Columbia NYP has an inpatient Eating Disorders, through which resident rotate. All pts (about 12) also enrolled in various ongoing research projects

You don't need child fellowship to go to ED. Child and ED are very different, there is little overlap. Most of the experts in ED are not child psychiatrists. If you are interested in both child and ED, then residency and child fellowship in Iowa City should be a good bet. If you are interested only in ED, but don't like child, then you can combine general psych residency with ED unit and a research fellowship in ED. Residency in NYSPI, Columbia is always a good thing to do, especially having in mind the 12 bed ED unit, where PGY 2s are required to work for 2 months.They also have 4 (four) year research fellowship in ED. To learn more about the seriously medically ill anorexia patients, with very low BMI, you should probably do a residency in Denver, CO or Fargo, ND.
UCLA,UCSD, Pittsburgh, Sheppard- Pratt , John Hopkins, Cornell, Princeton have ED units, you can do residency in one of these places and even if ED rotation is not part of the curriculum, you should be able to arrange an ED elective.

Research fellowships in ED are (as far as I know):
Columbia - NYSPI, U of Minnesota - Minneapolis, UND - Fargo, ND, Chapel Hill, NC, U of Chicago (some of these fellowships are primarily for psychologists, as they have difficulties recruiting MDs for these positions)

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
You don't need child fellowship to go to ED. Child and ED are very different, there is little overlap. Most of the experts in ED are not child psychiatrists.

Inpatient-wise, many major hospitals, and probably most of the ones that have inpatient eating disorders, will simply not let you see patients under 18 if you don't have a child fellowship. Maybe the clinical skills are dissimilar, but you can't see the patient if the bureaucracy won't let you in the door. And good luck explaining to the jury why you are treating a 12 year old as an adult psychiatrist even though you are an "eating disorder expert." Just because many of the current experts did not do child fellowship does not mean this will be a viable option in the future if you really want to see people in the child and adolescent age range.

During my last week of the ED rotation, I told Russell Marx that I was starting fellowship. He said something to the effect of "that child fellowship will be glad to have you." I informed him I was going into a forensic fellowship and that surprised him.

He told me that since I had an interest in seeing people with EDs he thought I'd go into child fellowship. We talked about hit more. As he put it, a child fellowship is not required in treating EDs but it does help.

In many areas there are no doctors with training on treating these disorders so anyone with an interest and training in it will stand out, but as he put it and as mentioned above, there are several issues that go on during child development that are not emphasized in most general psychiatry residencies that have correlations with eating disorders.

Almost every single patient in the ED unit at Princeton were minors. Some states have tightened regulations on treating children. A child fellowship in that respect is very nice for peace of mind. Very few were adults. I'm talking on the order of 1 adult for every 30 minor patients.

As for me and why I chose to do the ED rotation, I was sick of seeing ED patients come into the hospital and no psychiatrist knowing what to do. ED patients came in on an order of frequency where I felt every doctor should have at least a minimal level of training on it that is not in most residencies. I went proactive and sought out a rotation in it instead of choosing a rotation where it didn't have much to offer me in learning. I had to do a lot of extra work to land the rotation but it was that or just do a rotation at a place where I already worked.

Thanks to everyone who responded! I have been on a lot of these program websites to learn more about their residencies and it is really getting me excited for the coming years of my medical training.
Any words of wisdom/advise regarding an osteopathic medical student applying for some of these pretty impressive institutions??