Which school accepts foreign graduates to their residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheri

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A person who is a graduate of aaEuropean dental school and has done one year of comprehensive dentistry and 2 years of implant , a program for foreign graduates in NYU , wants to be able to practice in US but does not want to go back to attend dental schools and sit in third year. They say if he attends a specialty program, he can get license to practice in US, but I am having a hard time finding out which school in the US accept the foreign graduates to their specialty program? Can someone help me ? What is the other alternative beside going back to dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

None. Almost all specialty spots are reserved for US dental students. I would strongly advise you to reconsider attending dental school. Otherwise, I'm sad to say your alternative is probably becoming a RDA,

None. Almost all specialty spots are reserved for US dental students. I would strongly advise you to reconsider attending dental school. Otherwise, I'm sad to say your alternative is probably becoming a RDA,

Sad, but true.
Having said that, no other foreign country would allow a US dentist to practice there either without proper credentials and possibly a local degree or training.
You could skip an advanced standing degree and somehow backdoor your way into a residency and then what? You would still need a US dental license to practice!
The best advice is as per Orthros.

Members don't see this ad :)
in your case i wouldnt recommend you to spend two more years of dental school . There are many GPR , AEGD , pros , perio pograms in the country that would accept you . Just make sure that you got your part 1 and 2 of your nbde. If suggest you not only to send massive e-mails to every single GPR , AEGD , Pros , Perio program in the country but also to pick up the phone and call each of them . In your case with the 2 year implant fell at NYU i would try to concentrate in perio and pros . These two specialties have a huge rate of foreign trained dentist . Email and call . Do it

Last edited: