Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Which School doesn't accept community college credits?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by goheel, Apr 15, 2004.

1. goheel

goheel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Does anyone know?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emogrrrrl

emogrrrrl I like my freedom
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I don't think I've ever heard of a pharmacy school that doesn't accept community college credits.

4. 28657

28657 Smile like you mean it
    10+ Year Member

I'm pretty sure all pharmacy schools will accept credits from any accredited college as long as the course is comparable.

5. EarlyEditionDude

EarlyEditionDude Membership Revoked
    Removed

Most, if not all, PharmD schools accept CC credits, however I would recommend in not taking too much CC classes esp. science classes.

Try to take a majority of your classes at a university because it looks better on the transcript, even if the nearby CC is better academically than the state university, like mine is.

6. rxqueen

rxqueen Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oregon State University doesn't accept any community college/city college courses as pre-requisites. At least that's what they told me. I received my BS in biology two years ago but didn't take microbiology or anatomy & physiology. I'm taking them now at a city college, but could not apply to OSU because of it's stipulation.

:cool:

7. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

The University of Michigan is usually pretty hard on CC or JC applicants, but I don't think I would say that they "won't accept JC credits".

8. I think the issue is probably not that they dont take CC credits.. but that they don't take 100 and 200 level classes. I have heard of some schools that require certain classes to be in upper level classes, which I 'think' you can only get at a college/university.

9. goheel

goheel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm in a state university right now, but fulfilling my writting prereqs(2 classes) at a CC over the summer. All my other classes beside those 2 writting classes will be taken at a major university. Will pharmacy schools look too much into those writting classes? since they're not really core science classes.

10. 28657

28657 Smile like you mean it
    10+ Year Member

I think the only way to get an answer to your question is to ask the schools that you want to apply to.

Also, by "writting" classes do you mean your English credits or the technical writing pre-req?
    Writing is spelled w-r-i-t-i-n-g. ;)

11. goheel

goheel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Doh, I always spell "writing" wrong for some reason. :rolleyes: Yea, I meant my english credits.

12. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

One of the funniest stongbad videos is "english paper". It's got a pretty funny line about misspelling "english". :p

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail64.html

Let's hope that link works.

13. Spyris

Spyris Member
    7+ Year Member

just go to www.assist.org you can find out what schools transfer what credits.

14. Roxicet

Roxicet warning: I'm addictive!
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  15. Monkeyguts

7+ Year Member

This is not exactly true for those of of you applying to Oregon State. I applied with lots of CC science courses and was all right. The only pre-reqs they don't accept from a community college are the Microbiology, physiology, and biochemistry sequences.

Anyway, here is the link to the pre-reqs at Oregon State:

Oregon State Pharm. D. Pre-reqs