Which school has the highest pass rate for the USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a list of the stats for this?

Members don't see this ad.

no one knows for sure and if they say they do they're lying.

I think the real question you need to ask is what percentage of each of the classes at each school take the USMLE? And, then what is the pass rate out of those students. A school can boast a really good pass rate but what does that mean if only 10% of the class actually took it. Those 10% could be the top students in the class (or the worst), so I don't think you can really determine how well any one school will prepare you for the USMLE unless you find out that at least 75-80% of the students at a particular school are actually taking the USMLE.

Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
exactly, (other people say what I want to say better than I say it)if school x has a lot of non-commital students with pipe dreams take the exam, the rate is lower than it should be. if school y has only the top 10% take it then it is skewed high, therefore, impossible to tell.

Shouldn't the COMLEX pass rate be the focus anyway?

That is what your education is geared towards.

It's like asking a bunch of English professors how they all did on the Math section of the SAT.

I can see a valid point for Kumar to ask about the USMLE. What if for example he wanted to do a really competative residency then he would maximise his chances of getting the residency if he applied to both allo and osteo programs. Some allo programs who are DO friendly still prefer you to have the USMLE so they can compare across the board. I think what we really need is a unified licenceing exam with a OMM section for osteo people and something else for the allo phys.

I see his point as well, however, DO schools gear their education towards the COMLEX.

You can be reasonably confident that the DO school you attened (any DO school) will prepare you well for this exam.

As far as the USMLE, if you choose to take this you will be doing a great deal of self-preparation.

Therefore, it seems that the school you attend does not make much of a difference in this case.

Sure, there are variations within the curricula of the different osteopathic schools, but as someone noted...with all of the variables that can factor into this equation, having the data means little.

Any DO school you attend will give you a good education. If you want to take the USMLE on top of that, then get the review books and study. Good grades in your classes in school will not guarantee a good grade on the test.

I also agree that there should be more similarities between the two exams. Maybe that way in the future residency directors will be more familiar with what osteopathic candidates bring to the table.

I'm not sure what question it is that I'm dodging.

If there comes a time when I need to take the USMLE for whatever reason, then I will do so.

For now, the education I am getting will prepare me for the exam that I NEED to take, the COMLEX.

Maybe MD students should try their hand at a 3-day, 800 Q COMLEX and see how they do.

That would be interesting.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would an osteopathic graduate want to take the USMLE? Do you have to take it to enter an allopathic residency? What is the benefit of an allpathic residency? Subspecialties? Do you still have to take the COMLEX if you take the USMLE? Are you required to take the COMLEX no matter what?

the answer to the original question is-- whichever school you are attending/talking to. They all say they have the highest pass rates!;)

The usmle is good to take if you want to leave all doors open for residency/future plans. If you already know you are set on a DO residency it may not be the best use of time-- if you aren't too sure it can't hurt to take it and get your foot in that door.