Which school impressed you the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone goes into the application cycle with their favorites and preconceived notions. I was wondering for those who have been interviewed, which schools were the biggest surprise. In other words, which schools drastically changed your opinion of them; and was it because of the students, technology, location, or other?

Thanks

NCF

Members don't see this ad.

I went to Columbia thinking it would be pretty nice, considering it's a private school and the people I know who go there are really gung-ho about the place. . . and I REALLY did NOT like it at all. The area is super-urban, which I expected, but still don't like much, the dorm rooms were small and cold, the admissions people were impersonal and really didn't seem to give a crap, and my interviewer was 15 minutes late. Oh, and the food was bad.

I guess for somewhere that a) should be competing with other very top schools for the top students and b) likes applicants that are really "YAY COLUMBIA", they were extremely indifferent toward the interviewees.

Loyola.. super people, great facilities.. and Chicago - wow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without a doubt, U of Miami. I came in thinking that people who went there did so because they didn't get into "higher-ranked" schools or into UF (since Miami is private and still pretty pricey, even for in-states), but I left SO SO impressed. Everyone was genuinely, the students were all very intelligent, friendly people with good senses of humor, and they really got across the message that their clinical training is top notch thanks to Jackson Memorial. It was my first interview and I went in having relatively low expectations, and it is still my best interview experience.

I'm gonna agree on the post about Columbia. Really not impressed at all. Ditto for GW.

As for the impressive ones, obviously UVA is one. But I thought Northwestern was pretty awesome. Stanford has a great campus and facilities.

Oh, and to actually answer the question you ASKED. . .

Baylor was the one school that surprised me in a positive way. I walked in thinking 'Ugh. Houston. Urban. Concrete Jungle. Texas. Gross.' and came out of it thinking 'Holy crap, this place is really impressive and everyone I met has been so nice and the curriculum seems really interesting and progressive and . . and. . and. . . and oh yeah, it's DIRT cheap and I can afford a townhouse. Sweet.'

Pittsburgh really blew me out of the water when I was there. The simulation lab was really awesome, I loved the fact that it was in the city (but was also safe and affordable), the research opportunities seem to be really amazing there, the students and staff were happy and friendly, and I like the way the first two years are taught (plus 8-10 weeks off before STEP I helps too). After having gotten an acceptance there, it will take a lot for me to go anywhere else.

Jim

drexel was soooo nice and the students were soooo happy it seemed. I guess them not being highly ranked makes them a backup for most people. But wow, it was nice.

Flopotomist said:
Loyola.. super people, great facilities.. and Chicago - wow.

So I've heard about Loyola. I'm looking forward to checking it out sometime.

Praetorian said:
So I've heard about Loyola. I'm looking forward to checking it out sometime.
Be prepared to be blown away... I guess it just suits a particular personality type, but this school - I just can't say enough positive about my experience on interview day.

MrBurns10 said:
Without a doubt, U of Miami. I came in thinking that people who went there did so because they didn't get into "higher-ranked" schools or into UF (since Miami is private and still pretty pricey, even for in-states), but I left SO SO impressed. Everyone was genuinely, the students were all very intelligent, friendly people with good senses of humor, and they really got across the message that their clinical training is top notch thanks to Jackson Memorial. It was my first interview and I went in having relatively low expectations, and it is still my best interview experience.

I second this......Miami was excellent, and I also originally thought of it as a second choice school. But left my interview with it being one of my top choices....definitely my favorite Florida school. Jackson Memorial was impressive and all of the students seemed laid back and happy.

UF. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I was pretty prepared to not like it there, actually, but I had a fabulous experience. I thought everything about the school was tremendously impressive, although I don't love Gainesville. And I agree with seilienne about Baylor.

I actually was unimpressed with Northwestern, but mostly because I realized when visiting the school that I didn't want to be in that urban of an environment. I promptly withdrew from Columbia pre-interview b/c of that. Nothing wrong with the schools themselves, I just realized when stepping out of the parking garage that it was not the place for me.

WashU impressed me more than I expected. The facilities, faculty, and setting (yes, I'm a midwesterner) really wowed me. I went thinking of many of the negative comments I've seen on SDN, but was pleasantly surprised. I don't feel, however, that I've seen enough of the students to know for sure if I'd get along with them, but initial impressions refuted my expectations...

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
UF. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I was pretty prepared to not like it there, actually, but I had a fabulous experience. I thought everything about the school was tremendously impressive, although I don't love Gainesville.

I interviewed at UF last year and was very impressed with it also (I actually lived in Gainesville last year, and yeah it kind of sucks).

However, the school that impressed me most was OU (that's why I'm here now). I only applied here initially because my wife wanted me to (she was born here, her dad went here, etc.). I ended up absolutely loving it, even more than UF, was my initial top choice. I'm really glad that I went ahead and applied here, because it's fantastic. Boomer Sooner! :thumbup:

doc luv said:
I'm gonna agree on the post about Columbia. Really not impressed at all. Ditto for GW.

Really? I thought GW was awesome. The hospital is amazing, and everyone seemed very nice.

UVA ... When I was living in D.C., I picked up the snobby D.C. distaste for the Northern Virginia area - so rural, and all of those one way streets and confusing highways! So I really expected not to like UVA or Charlottesville - I couldn't have been more wrong. The students, staff, and interviewers were unbelievably friendly and welcoming, the campus was GORGEOUS (including the Lawn, with buildings designed by Thomas Jefferson), the facilities were quite good, and the town itself was totally cute. It went from being on the bottom of my list (below UIC and Maryland) to being on the top. :D

Biggest surprise for me was University of Vermont. Students, staff, faculty, facilities and even location surprised me. Other schools I have visited didn't seem to be as well rounded as this school. I went in with low expectations but was blown away by the whole experience!

I was quite pleasantly surprised by the University of Kentucky. The people there are incredibly friendly and supportive. It was a great environment.

I was pleasently surprised by Hopkins. I went there thinking that everyone was going to be cold, nerdy, and ultra intense. Instead, all the students I met seemed really cool, fairly laid back and nice. It really threw me off.

I second the great feel I got from Loyola! I wasn't really expecting that, and I had actually just gotten done with 4 interviews right in a row so I was tired and crabby and not really caring what my interview at Loyola would be like, but I was really impressed!

Northwestern (the day before) not impressed at all. I didn't like the environment (certainly couldn't picture myself living in a skyscraper) and to me it seemed kind of disconnected from the world (really cool hospital beds/rooms, but not really serving the underserved people in Chicago.)

JDWflash44 said:
Pittsburgh really blew me out of the water when I was there. The simulation lab was really awesome, I loved the fact that it was in the city (but was also safe and affordable), the research opportunities seem to be really amazing there, the students and staff were happy and friendly, and I like the way the first two years are taught (plus 8-10 weeks off before STEP I helps too). After having gotten an acceptance there, it will take a lot for me to go anywhere else.

Jim

yeah...me too! just interviewed there on monday and i'm anxiously waiting to hear back from them :scared:

I was rather unimpressed with WFU. The students were great and so was the faculty, but their format was odd (3 interviews, 15min each, in rapid succession) and the entire campus seemed like it was really small. I wasn't all too impressed with their layout, and the quality of their library and classrooms seemed a step below that of my undergrad, which is a small state school. Outside it was beautiful, but the school is right in the middle of a residental area and didn't seem like it had any room to expand if necessary. Of course this rant could be my own attempts at cognitive dissonance for being waitlisted there.

I was really impressed by UWM, MCW, and UMN-TC. They all had beautiful facilities, exceptionally cordial staff, and it just turned out to be a great day.
I would highly recommend these schools to anyone applying in the future.

vn2004 said:
yeah...me too! just interviewed there on monday and i'm anxiously waiting to hear back from them :scared:

Pitt was great as was Case but Vandy by far was the most impressive so far.

vn2004 said:

Hey- I must have interviewed with you...

I actually think I was set up for failure by this message board about Pitt. I would *definitely* go there, but I was literally expecting there to be no drawbacks when I got there, judging by how people rave about the place. I thought they were a little behind the times in technological support for their students (minus, of course, the WISER center).

And I would agree for sure about Miami exceeding expectations.

Northwestern was incredible: the hospital, the facilities, the, the....well money. Chicago is also great and I thought the people there were very nice.

For all the knocks that Georgetown gets on this board I was not expecting to be impressed. It's true that the buildings and facilities are not as modern as at other places but I was blown away by the people there.

seilienne said:
I went to Columbia thinking it would be pretty nice, considering it's a private school and the people I know who go there are really gung-ho about the place. . . and I REALLY did NOT like it at all. The area is super-urban, which I expected, but still don't like much, the dorm rooms were small and cold, the admissions people were impersonal and really didn't seem to give a crap, and my interviewer was 15 minutes late. Oh, and the food was bad.

I guess for somewhere that a) should be competing with other very top schools for the top students and b) likes applicants that are really "YAY COLUMBIA", they were extremely indifferent toward the interviewees.

ditto!

and i think i was most impressed with WashU...the facilities were amazing! and 2 hours from home :)

Rochester... I loved it!!! People were great... students were happy... interviewer was wonderful!!!!

I was prepared to be unimpressed by Jefferson. Actually, I already had a negative opinion of the school before I even got there for my interview; I woke up late on interview day and forgot my earrings because I thought I just didn't care. But then I was very surprised to find myself liking it. I came away from the day with a very positive impression.

Unfortunately in the meantime I've realized that most (if not all) Jeff students I've met have been complete jerks (and I think part of it is an inferiority complex thing going on with Penn). I welcome any Jefferson students to PM me to dispell this notion.

definitely loyola...considering my day started off being sick with a flat tire and it was raining...the fact that they were still my first choice after my interview is a testament to just what an impressive place it is. :D

I'd have to say Baylor was suprisingly impressive. I too went in with low expectations of Houston, but the medical center area (largest in the world) is amazing, the curriculum is innovative, and the students are open and friendly.

Brown definately impressed me the most. The interview day was great, and all the students and staff were definately the friendliest I've met. Also the fact the huge amounts of money are being pumped in the program and they are renovating all the facilities. Rhode Island hospital also had some amazing features like its super hooked-up ER and the Hasbro Children's hospital was ridiculously cool.

Emory disappointed me. Most people thought the students were friendly, but they came off as creepy to me and were kind of forced to come out with a big fake smile on. Also, its tough to go to school in the basement of that building as you watch them tear down the old nice med school building and put up a nicer one.

I would say the most surprising (and overall the most impressive I've been to so far) was Vanderbilt. I just loved it there.

I'm still hoping for the chance to be wowed by Loyola. Sending out an update letter this week...let's hope they don't just reject me before they get it...

golftrippy said:
Emory disappointed me. Most people thought the students were friendly, but they came off as creepy to me and were kind of forced to come out with a big fake smile on. Also, its tough to go to school in the basement of that building as you watch them tear down the old nice med school building and put up a nicer one.

Emory students creeped you out? I thought they were all pretty genuine.

I do think it will be tough the first year going to school there. Did you know that the gross lab is actually still in its same place (BELOW one of the gutted buildings)? And the WHSCB auditorium (where M1s have most of their classes) is not very comfy. But the second year on, there will be some awesome facilities there.

I also really liked that you get to do your SP work in the actual facility used by the USMLE -- I'd bet that helps you feel a lot more relaxed on the day of the exam.

ND2005 said:
Emory students creeped you out? I thought they were all pretty genuine.

I do think it will be tough the first year going to school there. Did you know that the gross lab is actually still in its same place (BELOW one of the gutted buildings)? And the WHSCB auditorium (where M1s have most of their classes) is not very comfy. But the second year on, there will be some awesome facilities there.

I also really liked that you get to do your SP work in the actual facility used by the USMLE -- I'd bet that helps you feel a lot more relaxed on the day of the exam.

Well I also really doubt they will have that building up for our class in 2nd year...they are still not done tearing down the old one. It will be a great facility for those that come after us though. The main thing that creeped me out I think was the fact that I would have to come out after every class three days a week and entertain the interviewees for 2 years if I went there...I think it would get old quick...

I was pleasantly surprised by Jefferson. I didn't expect to be very impressed, but found myself liking it more than I thought I would. I loved the location, and actually thought the students I met were really nice, and really enjoyed the interview day more than I expected to. I still ended up withdrawing my app, but that was b/c their research strengths weren't what I wanted in an MD/PhD program. As a med school, though, it's pretty great.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Maryland. I'm from Maryland and have no intention of staying here, but I truly liked the school and the research they ahd going on. If it weren't in Baltimore, it's be much higher on my list.

But the school that most impressed me? Cornell. Loved it. Too bad they rejected me. :laugh:

golftrippy said:
Well I also really doubt they will have that building up for our class in 2nd year...they are still not done tearing down the old one. It will be a great facility for those that come after us though. The main thing that creeped me out I think was the fact that I would have to come out after every class three days a week and entertain the interviewees for 2 years if I went there...I think it would get old quick...

They are done digging out the old building. (I just looked out my window). Currently they are working at the bottom of a giant ditch, laying foundation for the new building. Most construction projects like this at colleges take 16-20 months to complete. That would put the completion date for this right around summer of 2007.

And I don't think you HAVE to come entertain. Most of the ones who stopped by my day were skipping out on a boring meeting and just wanted some cookies.

ND2005 said:
They are done digging out the old building. (I just looked out my window). Currently they are working at the bottom of a giant ditch, laying foundation for the new building. Most construction projects like this at colleges take 16-20 months to complete. That would put the completion date for this right around summer of 2007.

And I don't think you HAVE to come entertain. Most of the ones who stopped by my day were skipping out on a boring meeting and just wanted some cookies.

Cool, I hope they do get it done...I just remember when I was there is December, part of the old building was still up because one of the interviewees said, "Oh the new building looks great" and our tourguide said, "Nope, thats the old one"...haha, even Emory's old buildings look good. No doubt Emory is a great school, and I'd certainly be excited to be admitted but couldn't go, because sometimes you just don't mesh well with a school and get a bad feeling...really nothing against the school...Emory's great

golftrippy said:
Cool, I hope they do get it done...I just remember when I was there is December, part of the old building was still up because one of the interviewees said, "Oh the new building looks great" and our tourguide said, "Nope, thats the old one"...haha, even Emory's old buildings look good. No doubt Emory is a great school, and I'd certainly be excited to be admitted but couldn't go, because sometimes you just don't mesh well with a school and get a bad feeling...really nothing against the school...Emory's great
You know, I didn't get the best feeling from Emory either and they were one of my top choices before I visited. Maybe the bad feeling came from the interview setup (which I really didn't like), the fact that I was tired of traveling/interviewing, or the weird nostalgia that I got since I hadn't been back to Emory for a good 12 years (my brother went there for ugrad). I tried separating my impressions about the school itself from those outside feelings, but it's hard to do. But I think sitting there and listening about the curriculum and everything made me realize it's probably not the school for me. Not that I need to worry about it yet, considering I haven't even heard from them...

I really really liked Loyola. The students seemed like they all knew each other and got along, facilities were awesome. I'll be withdrawing there though! tough:(

I was blown away by Mayo. The financial aid is awesome. At worse you pay 12 grand a year if your out of state. The administration and students were SO friendly and everyone knew each other by name. First school where I felt like med students were respected by physicians at the clinic, endless opportunities since its the number 2 hospital in the nation (behind hopkins). And the people I interviewed with were intelligent, fun, humble, and REALLY UNIQUE. First school where I felt blown away by the interviewees! Facilities here are amazing, and they literally have money to throw down your throat!

I was most impressed by OHSU and UCSF. Both schools have a great curriculum, are located in interesting and fun cities, have happy and accomplished students, and great primary care training. If accepted to both I'd really have to think it. :love:

Hmmm, I'm kinda wishing Loyola had interviewed me now. People seem to really like it. I dunno why I didn't get an interview there - I got an interview at Northwestern.

I loved Northwestern. I had driven by the campus a year before (on accident, actually - I had no intention of finding the school), and my jaw just dropped when I realized how it's exactly where I'd like to be. I've always dreamed of living on the 40th floor of some high-rise apartment complex (which is what many of the med students do). The facilities were top-notch, and the people were really friendly, especially the two deans that met with us. I also like the idea of PBL (less class time = more study time).

TheProwler said:
Hmmm, I'm kinda wishing Loyola had interviewed me now. People seem to really like it. I dunno why I didn't get an interview there - I got an interview at Northwestern.......

After hearing such great things about Loyola, I really wish I would have applied there! Oh well, moving on!

I wish I had applied to UCSF now! I LOVE California, but was discouraged from applying because of the high number of in-state marticulants (~97% at many of the schools). I should have just applied in hopes of getting an interview so I'd have an excuse to go out there...wouldn't have minded getting in either.

TheProwler said:
Hmmm, I'm kinda wishing Loyola had interviewed me now. People seem to really like it. I dunno why I didn't get an interview there - I got an interview at Northwestern.

I loved Northwestern. I had driven by the campus a year before (on accident, actually - I had no intention of finding the school), and my jaw just dropped when I realized how it's exactly where I'd like to be. I've always dreamed of living on the 40th floor of some high-rise apartment complex (which is what many of the med students do). The facilities were top-notch, and the people were really friendly, especially the two deans that met with us. I also like the idea of PBL (less class time = more study time).
I loved Northwestern too. If you're a city person, the location is perfect! Their class schedule is awesome too. The only thing I didn't like was the relative affluence of the patient population. I was definitely impressed by Northwestern, though I wasn't surprised. I expected to love it.

I'll put it another vote for Miami--esp. the Boca campus. I'm in love with that school :love:

While I was most impressed with Miami, I was most suprised by FSU. I went in with EXTREMELY low expectations, and was blown away! The school was awesome, faculty were great, and students were sooooooooo genuine and friendly! I really think it is an up and coming program.

harvard: i went in assuming the med students would be a bit arrogant, but when I got there they were the most friendly bunch i had met thus far. i must have been stopped 5-6 times by random students asking me how i liked it so far, who my interviewers were, if i had any questions. Also, the facilities were great and the interviewers were very helpful.
also, hopkins was very nice too despite my preconceived notions of what it may have been.

I was most impressed by Northwestern and hence I am here now. I could see how the location isn't for everybody as it is hyper-urban, but it is hyper-urban in a very clean, friendly, and safe way. If you want to live in a highrise with a great view surrounded by a walkable environment with lots of shopping, food, world class museums and parks at your disposal (not to mention the diversity of greater Chicago), and do this all in a very clean, safe, friendly environment, I don't see it getting any better. It is a rare combination from my experience to get urbanity, cleanliness, safety, and friendliness all in one package.

And of course the school and facilities mesh perfectly with such a lifestyle as I only have 2 hours of class per day most days which gives me a ton of free time to study or just hang out. And it's P/F. It really is perfect for me--no stress at all going here because there is ample time to "do what you need to do" in terms of studying and the administration is here for you rather than just a big brother. For instance if you fail a year you can just retake it without having to pay tuition. If you want to take a year off to do research or flip hamburgers, the administration doesn't have a problem with that. There is a real sense of community and taking care of their own here. Once you step inside you are part of the "community" and they are here to help you succeed and in that sense I really feel like I'm getting what I pay for. I feel like I am paying for a service rather than just paying to go to school in a way.

I'll be the first for a SUNY School. SUNY Upstate - -everyone was so friendly and accommodating. The interviews were low-stress, the lunch was awesome, and we were put up in a nice hotel for the night (Genessee Grande). The faculty and students both seemed very happy, and they let you meet A LOT of students.

MrBurns10 said:
You know, I didn't get the best feeling from Emory either and they were one of my top choices before I visited. Maybe the bad feeling came from the interview setup (which I really didn't like), the fact that I was tired of traveling/interviewing, or the weird nostalgia that I got since I hadn't been back to Emory for a good 12 years (my brother went there for ugrad). I tried separating my impressions about the school itself from those outside feelings, but it's hard to do. But I think sitting there and listening about the curriculum and everything made me realize it's probably not the school for me. Not that I need to worry about it yet, considering I haven't even heard from them...

I went to Emory for undergrad, and I also interviewed there just last month. My first impression of Emory was that it was really nice, and the culture was very different from the undergrad (which is a good thing), but the more I think about the school, the more I'm getting turned off. I know some people that attend Emory med currently, and they are all people I like, so I figured it has a cool student body, but none of the other students I met that day were particularly cool. In fact, they seemed more stand-offish or "too cool" - not unlike the undergrad. I always hear Emory students putting down the other medical schools in Georgia, and whether it actually is better or not, I get really turned off by elitist attitudes. While I'm sure it's a great school, I don't think I'll be going, but like Mr Burns, I have yet to hear, so that's not really a problem of mine. :laugh:

On the flip side, the school that really has impressed me so far was my state school, Medical College of Georgia. Sure, the facilities aren't the best, but it's the people that make up your experience. The student host I stayed with was very cool, and we went out to dinner the night before with some other med students who seemed very cool. The town itself was very charming and historic. After having lived in Atlanta for a couple of years, I think I'm ready to move out to somewhere more laid back and with less traffic. (In fact, I LOVE Atlanta, but really, the ONE thing that is driving me away is the traffic. Yeah, it's that bad!)

Another school that impressed me was Wash U. I knew it was very research oriented, so I was expecting more introverted, serious people, but the students were really cool, and the pass/fail grading made a more cooperative student body. As my interviewer said, "Everyone who comes here knows they are smart, so they don't really need to compete or prove themselves" A student mentioned that he didn't know the MCAT scores of any of his classmates - although I'm sure they're all very good.

I've heard very good things about UVA as well, so I'm really excited about my interview there next month.

MrBurns10 said:
You know, I didn't get the best feeling from Emory either and they were one of my top choices before I visited. But I think sitting there and listening about the curriculum and everything made me realize it's probably not the school for me.

What didn't you like about the curriculum? Honestly at this point I can barely remember which school has which curriculum, except for Duke. It's all a big blur of schedules and PBLs and half-truths about how great it all is. I do remember Emory had ABCD grading, which isn't functionally much different than H/HP/P but looks worse.