Which school is best known for their clinical aspects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vcuchic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering which dental school was best noted for their clinical experience. I'm kind of in the decision between Temple and Maryland... Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Both of those schools offer well thought of clinical programs. From the rumor mill, I would lean toward Maryland...or you could just wait for Jack to reply, he will tell you all about it.

It depends on what you want from a school. Maryland has a strong program although Temple is good for oral surgury.

I know how you feel I was between the two as well. For me Temple was a better choice 1 because it was closer to home, 2 it was instate and 3 I felt it was stronger in some aspects such as oral sugery and pedo.

Maryland is a great school, think about where you will be happier. Philly to me is more fun than baltimore, but Maryland's school is new and has strong clinical aspects (as does temple) however I think Maryland has more oppurtunity to do research.

Good luck deciding. If you go temple... welcome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I was wondering which dental school was best noted for their clinical experience. I'm kind of in the decision between Temple and Maryland... Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Did you not like Maryland a lot when you went? Where'd you sit that day? I can't seem to place you. At the far table next to the windows or the one next to that?

table by the far window haha
yeah I def like the city of Philadelphia better than baltimore
but i dont think any school can beat Maryland's new facilities...
I plan on specializing in ortho....
agh one week until I have to pay a deposit at either school...:confused:

well, you ask for the school with the best clinical rep and then state you want to specialize in ortho. :rolleyes:

joking aside, I feel as if our clinical program at Maryland is above average. I'm only a D1, but our pre-clinical profs are extremely helpful. When all is said and done, it really all depends on how much effort you put in. I've heard that our clinical graduation requirements are being lowered... some of which are now competency based. I'm not sure if it's because they were just too high to begin with, or if students are having a problem meeting them.

Anywho- I would choose the school based on price, location, and how happy the students are. I'm not sure which school will be cheaper for you. Baltimore is not my ideal city, but you can definitely have a good time here on the cheap-- lots of great bars and quaint neighborhoods filled w/ young professionals/students. As far as happiness, I'm very pleased with Maryland. My class is awesome and the professors are laid back for the most part.

Another factor that may sway your decision is when the schools take boards. We take ours after 1st year, temple after 2nd. This makes our first year relatively stressful. I, personally, am looking forward to knocking boards out ASAP so I can focus on the more relevant clinical aspect of our education rather than didactics. This is personal preference, however.

Best of luck w/ your decision. Let us know what you decide.

jB!:)

table by the far window haha
yeah I def like the city of Philadelphia better than baltimore
but i dont think any school can beat Maryland's new facilities...
I plan on specializing in ortho....
agh one week until I have to pay a deposit at either school...:confused:
I don't even know why I asked. I don't really remember many people there. Just the guy from Stanford and the Lehigh guy with the cool name. I vaguely recall you. At least, narrowed you down to 2-3 possibilities. I really don't play the SDN matchup game well.