Which school is better? Baylor or UMich?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elias514

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what you all think.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a resident of Texas or Michigan?

What region do you want to do residency/practice in?

The schools are pretty close in most categories, if you are interested in practicing in the North or Midwest, Michigan will have the better academic reputation. Baylor will be more known in the southwest, and the southeast. This probably matters a bit in residency, though its quite easy to transcend this generalization I would imagine.

I think if youre a resident of one of those states, or prefer a specific region, your choice is easy.

If you're asking in general which school is better, I think they are close enough in many aspects that you would have to ask about a specific field (ie Baylor is better in pediatrics, but Michigan has a better internal medicine department, but Baylor has a fantastic cardiology program, but Michigan is awesome in biomedical engineering work) and so on.

Either way, you're going to a solid school.

I agree with Gleevec. UMich is ranked a little higher, but I think that once you're thinking about top 20 (or thereabouts) schools, they're all great. Both schools have unbelievable programs, great match lists, and geniuses galore.

I'm heading to Baylor because I love the TMC, I wanted to stay in Houston, and I'm interested in surgery. Also, I am really big into community service, and Baylor has a really, really good track record of giving back to the community, which I really admire. Finally, I know a lot of the faculty at Baylor, and there's not a single one that I don't entirely look up to for their brains and commitment.

Also, $6500 a year. I love Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was much more impressed with Baylor than I was with several schools that were ranked higher. TMC is pretty amazing, as is the flexibility in the curriculum. Warm weather, and dirtttt cheap tuition make it a popular choice.

that said, I'm going to UMich next year b/c I know that's where I'll have the most fun...ann arbor, the big house, and the whole UMich experience are things I can't even imagine turning down..

Interesting...I have the exact same toss-up in my hands right now. My personal take on the two schools:

Baylor
Pros: Early clinical exp (with real patients) and condensed curriculum = more time for clinical experiences - many top schools are switching to this innovative curriculum. Amazing breadth of experiences at the TMC. Friendly student body (gathered this from interviews). Amazingly cheap for the high quality of education. (I know Holly - I love tx!)

Cons: Intense courseload, grading system, lots of work, and apparently a lot of ppl have problems with Houston (although from my own exposure there it didn't seem particularly terrible.

U Mich:
Pros: Excellent tech facilities and amazing resources, friendly students/profs, ranked #3 by residency directors in the nation. Innovations in curriculum call for earlier patient contact and research opportunities early on. And a great financial aid program. Great little town - I really liked Ann Arbor and its intellectual atmosphere. You get four seasons!

Cons: Weather (for me...I've become a wimp when it comes to the cold, although I know I'd adjust). Cost of living is surprisingly high. Quizzes every Monday, although students said this prepared them well for exams/the boards. Seems like courseload is pretty intense, as with baylor.

I guess in sum both of them are simply amazing schools, and the subtle differences come into play when you consider your own personality and preference: i.e. warmer climate (albeit humid) vs. ice-cold winters, having an undergrad campus nearby vs. a big medical center, safety (i don't know much about houston, but a2 has virtually no crime), etc. etc.

anyone else have thoughts? :)

Im interested in seeing what people think...if you threw in WashU and UC Irvine into the mix.....as a cali resident...UCI is appealing bc of the tuition/location and WashU is fantastic as well but St. Louis wouldnt be my first choice in location... of the 4, I'd lean towards UMich bc of ann arbor and the overall enviornment....any thoughts?

Baylor all the way. But then, I'm a Texas res., hate icy winters, want to go into Peds, and love the Tx med center! ;)

Originally posted by somekevinguy
Im interested in seeing what people think...if you threw in WashU and UC Irvine into the mix.....as a cali resident...UCI is appealing bc of the tuition/location and WashU is fantastic as well but St. Louis wouldnt be my first choice in location... of the 4, I'd lean towards UMich bc of ann arbor and the overall enviornment....any thoughts?

hey man..i don't know much about UCI, but I'd pick michigan over washu (even though i don't have this choice) for the same reason you stated ..location.. and i actually like stl (at least compared to most ppl), it's a great sports city, but then again if you like sports you can't beat the big house...

it's tough to say WHY exactly i like michigan so much. i just got that gut feeling that i would ENJOY being at michigan for 4 years. it's really like being a part of a special tradition. washu and michigan both train excellent doctors, but if you go to michigan you'll be able to look back 20 years from now and know what it was like to be in the big house in november watching michigan destroy ohio state!

Steinway I hear ya.

U Mich would be an amazing experience; it just seemed like the ppl there were not only badasses when it came to med school stuff, but also love to have fun too. I am seriously considering it as well.

I liked Baylor, but I guess I am the opposite of spumoni. I need four seasons (i spent my undergrad in northern california, and can't stand the lack of snow sometimes even though I hated shoveling it back home...go figure :)), and I didnt like Houston that much.

If you're a michigan or tx resident, though, i think the choice is fairly obvious....but if you're not, I personally would choose, based on my preferences, Mich. (even though going to either place will be essentially the same, i think, in terms of residency matching).

-Ice

Originally posted by spumoni620

U Mich:
Pros: Excellent tech facilities and amazing resources, friendly students/profs, ranked #3 by residency directors in the nation.

Its actually ranked 7th according to US News, though that shouldnt be very important in the grand scheme of things. I think that number is from a previous ranking or some other magazine maybe. I remember hearing them say this and then thinking, that's odd, so I looked it up.

But yeah, you cant go wrong at either school. I really think it ultimately comes down to price and location when you have schools this similar.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Its actually ranked 7th according to US News, though that shouldnt be very important in the grand scheme of things. I think that number is from a previous ranking or some other magazine maybe. I remember hearing them say this and then thinking, that's odd, so I looked it up.

for those concerned with rankings:

these numbers are from the latest us news report:

School / Overall Score / Peer Assessment Score / Assessment Score by Residency Directors

Harvard University (MA) 100 4.9 4.7
Johns Hopkins University (MD) 97 4.9 4.7
Duke University (NC) 93 4.6 4.5
Stanford University (CA) 89 4.6 4.4
University of California?San Francisco 92 4.6 4.4
University of Pennsylvania 93 4.6 4.3
Washington University in St. Louis 97 4.6 4.5
University of Michigan?Ann Arbor 89 4.4 4.4
University of Washington 86 4.4 4.2
Yale University (CT) 87 4.4 4.1
Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons (NY) 90 4.3 4.2
Cornell University (Weill) (NY) 85 4.2 4.1
University of California?Los Angeles (Geffen) 8 3 4.2 3.9
U. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center?Dallas 81 4.2 3.9
University of Chicago 77 4.1 4.0
Baylor College of Medicine (TX) 85 4.0 3.8
University of California?San Diego 81 4.0 3.8
Vanderbilt University (TN) 83 4.0 4.0
University of Alabama?Birmingham 75 3.9 3.8
University of North Carolina?Chapel Hill 77 3.9 4.0
Case Western Reserve University (OH) 75 3.8 3.7
Emory University (GA) 78 3.8 3.9
University of Pittsburgh 79 3.8 3.8
Northwestern University (Feinberg) (IL) 77 3.7 3.9
University of Iowa (Roy J. & Lucille A. Carver) 75 3.7 3.8
University of Virginia 74 3.7 3.9
Mayo Medical School (MN) 78 3.6 4.0
Mount Sinai School of Medicine (NY) 72 3.6 3.5
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center 70 3.6 3.4
University of Rochester (NY) 71 3.6 3.5
University of Wisconsin?Madison 72 3.6 3.6
Yeshiva University (Albert Einstein) (NY) 70 3.5 3.3
Dartmouth Medical School (NH) 69 3.4 3.5
New York University 73 3.4 3.5
Oregon Health & Science University 70 3.4 3.3
Boston University 65 3.3 3.4
Indiana University?Indianapolis 66 3.3 3.5
Tufts University (MA) 64 3.3 3.5
Ohio State University 67 3.2 3.3
University of Maryland 65 3.2 3.3
University of Minnesota?Twin Cities 67 3.2 3.3
University of Southern California 69 3.2 3.3
University of Utah 64 3.2 3.5
Wake Forest University (NC) 65 3.2 3.4
Brown University (RI) 64 3.1 3.4
University of Florida 64 3.1 3.2
Univ. of Texas Health Science Center?Houston 57 3.1 3.2
Georgetown University (DC) 63 3.0 3.4
Tulane University (LA) 58 3.0 3.1
University of California?Davis 59 3.0 3.2
University of Cincinnati 63 3.0 3.1
Jefferson Medical College (PA) 61 2.9 3.1
Medical College of Wisconsin 61 2.9 3.1
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School 56 2.9 3.0
University of Miami (FL) 57 2.9 2.9
Stony Brook University 58 2.8 2.9
University of California?Irvine 60 2.8 3.0
University of Massachusetts?Worcester 61 2.8 3.0
University of Vermont 54 2.8 3.0
Va. Commonwealth U.?Medical Col. of Va. 55 2.8 3.2
George Washington University (DC) 52 2.7 3.0
Medical University of South Carolina 54 2.7 2.9
University of Connecticut 55 2.7 2.9
University of Nebraska College of Medicine 51 2.7 2.9
St. Louis University 52 2.6 2.9
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School 51 2.6 2.8
University at Buffalo (NY) 53 2.6 2.7
University of Oklahoma 51 2.6 2.8
Wayne State University (MI) 52 2.6 2.8

michigan is tied for #3 (score of 4.4) when you look at the "assessment score by residency directors", which is what i believe dean remick was referring to when he spoke about michigan's ranking by residency directors.

but as you can see, baylor is also very highly regarded by both peers and residency directors. both schools, i would venture to say, are most definitely in the same league and you couldn't go wrong at either place.

That's interesting, because I sorted the list by Assessment Score by Residency Directors and got (the 3rd number)

1. Harvard University (MA) 100 4.9 4.7
1. Johns Hopkins University (MD) 97 4.9 4.7

3. Duke University (NC) 93 4.6 4.5
3. Washington University in St. Louis 97 4.6 4.5

5. Stanford University (CA) 89 4.6 4.4
5. University of California?San Francisco 92 4.6 4.4
5. University of Michigan?Ann Arbor 89 4.4 4.4

Actually I guess UM is 5th.

Actually, I just realized its how you define ties. They are defining ties as equal in number, and then the subsequent score as next (even if multiple schools are tied higher).

So I guess its just how ya interpret it. Though its funny that US News will skip a rank for ties (ie JHU and WashU are tied for 2nd overall in research, and Duke is 4th) while UM didnt use a similar ranking system.

Doesnt really change anything though.

Actually, I just realized its how you define ties. They are defining ties as equal in number, and then the subsequent score as next (even if multiple schools are tied higher).

Yea that is kinda shady...i guess med schools will interpret data in absolutely the most positive way....

-Ice

So I guess its just how ya interpret it. Though its funny that US News will skip a rank for ties (ie JHU and WashU are tied for 2nd overall in research, and Duke is 4th) while UM didnt use a similar ranking system.

Doesnt really change anything though.

oh, i see now. good point about the ties. :) oh well, the difference b/t 0.5 points is probably not worth agonizing too much about anyway. i'm so impractical when it comes to things like that. i have a feeling i'd let things like weather, proximity to whole foods, and "school atmosphere" sway my decision any day over such mundane things as rankings. :D

Originally posted by ice_23
Yea that is kinda shady...i guess med schools will interpret data in absolutely the most positive way....

-Ice

Yeah, kinda like how 3 different schools told me they have the highest USMLE average in the nation. They could all be tied, but I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by spumoni620
oh, i see now. good point about the ties. :) oh well, the difference b/t 0.5 points is probably not worth agonizing too much about anyway. i'm so impractical when it comes to things like that. i have a feeling i'd let things like weather, proximity to whole foods, and "school atmosphere" sway my decision any day over such mundane things as rankings. :D

Thats not impractical, thats the best thing you can do. ;)

USMLE scores are no longer public so NO school can make comments about recent scores..........standard deviations and so forth aren't available....so all you know if the scores of your class..........

Originally posted by SunnyS81
USMLE scores are no longer public so NO school can make comments about recent scores..........standard deviations and so forth aren't available....so all you know if the scores of your class..........

That's interesting. Is there any particular reason this happened? Schools regularly publish their average SAT, ACT, MCAT, so what is so special/unique about the USMLE? What are med schools afraid of students finding out?

More important than going to a top ranked medical school is going somewhere you want to live. You are about to give up a decade of your life (the best one?). Do it somewhere nice.

You can get into almost any residency from almost any medical school. Great docs come from piddly programs, and terrible docs from well respected ones.

If you are going into:
Family medicine
Peds
Internal medicine
PM&R
Psychiatry
Pathology

Any medical shool will be fine.

If you like research (or don't) choose more carefully.

Philo