generationX

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2007
TX
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Hello guys.

I have applied to 4 schools for MPH: University of Texas, University of North Texas, Texas A & M and UMDNJ for spring 2008. I might get accepted in 3 of them. I am a foreign student. Can anyone suggest which of these would be a better choice.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks.

thedelicatessen

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Do you have a geographical preference? I'm not familiar with the specific cities, but the states are in vastly different areas of the country. Texas is a large Southern state with a large public university system, while New Jersey is a more densely populated state close to New York, which may be beneficial. Hope that helps.

About the Ads

EEL08

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
AZ
Status
Medical Student
Hello guys.

I have applied to 4 schools for MPH: University of Texas, University of North Texas, Texas A & M and UMDNJ for spring 2008. I might get accepted in 3 of them. I am a foreign student. Can anyone suggest which of these would be a better choice.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks.
What area of public health are you interested in specifically? I don't know anything about three of those schools but I'm an SPH student at UNT-HSC now so if you have any questions let me know. When I get a chance I'll try to check out the other schools' websites and see how I think they would compare.

generationX

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2007
TX
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Do you have a geographical preference? I'm not familiar with the specific cities, but the states are in vastly different areas of the country. Texas is a large Southern state with a large public university system, while New Jersey is a more densely populated state close to New York, which may be beneficial. Hope that helps.
I do not have any geographical preference and my selection was not based on university ranking systems. I believe they are mid-tier schools. When I applied in Aug-Sep I thought about tuition rates and open spring admission. I just want to know if any of the school among these four stand out for some obvious advantage they may have to offer.

What area of public health are you interested in specifically? I don't know anything about three of those schools but I'm an SPH student at UNT-HSC now so if you have any questions let me know. When I get a chance I'll try to check out the other schools' websites and see how I think they would compare.
Hi.
As it turns out so far I have been accepted to UNT-HSC and UT-HSC and other decisions are pending. I am interested in Policy and Management track. How is UNT-HSC? Since it was the first one to accept me I researched it as much as I could. It seems Public Health school doesn't pull much weight in unthsc according to dean's message on their site. Also housing seems to be a concern for me. However I would love to know if unthsc thrives on research and whether it gives plentiful assistantships to students. How long have you been at unthsc for?

EEL08

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
AZ
Status
Medical Student
Hi.
As it turns out so far I have been accepted to UNT-HSC and UT-HSC and other decisions are pending. I am interested in Policy and Management track. How is UNT-HSC? Since it was the first one to accept me I researched it as much as I could. It seems Public Health school doesn't pull much weight in unthsc according to dean's message on their site. Also housing seems to be a concern for me. However I would love to know if unthsc thrives on research and whether it gives plentiful assistantships to students. How long have you been at unthsc for?
I'm so sorry! I completely kept forgetting to check back to this thread. You may have already made your decision by now. This is my eighth semester at UNTHSC. I'm taking three years to complete the degree, my concentration is Epidemiology. Personally, I think that the school of Public Health pulls as much weight as the other schools here. I can't say I know a lot specifically about the Health Management and Policy concentration but in general there are always opportunities to participate in research. There is also a lot of places to live around the school but you don't have to live that close. There are tons of suburbs you could live in if you want better choices of cost and location.

About the Ads