Which school is your first choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentistry321

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, All.

Out of your interviewed schools, which one is your first choice?

Thanks

Columbia for me (sent in my deposit already)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
KMF, would you mind sharing your Harvard interview experience?
Please can you tell....What are your stats?

Originally posted by vishal_k32801
KMF, would you mind sharing your Harvard interview experience?
Please can you tell....What are your stats?

I really liked Harvard because:
-it is pass/fail (less competition between students)
-No Ranking at all
-the small class size allows you to get to know your professors well and get a lot of individual attention.
-the research opportunities are HUGE at Harvard - you could do anything you wanted basically.
-I like the philosophy that dentistry is a specialty of medicine. Although I know it may be annoying to learn about all the muscles in the foot, I think in the long run, it's good to know (and it can't hurt you - it can only help you).
-PBL - I really like the idea of problem based learning. I think that you can really learn everything in a very comprehensive manner that would help you really understand the material instead of simply memorizing everything.
-they have been #1 in the National Boards Part I consistently for the last 20 years and either #1 or #2 on the National Boards Part II consistently as well. (I know a lot of people seem to have a large concern about Harvard graduates not having adequate clinical skills, but I think the National Boards Part II speak for themselves).
-In the clinic, they do not have a set number of root canals, crown and bridges, etc. that you have to do. Instead, they believe that once you know how to do a procedure really well, it is ok for you to go on and learn something new, or perfect something else that you are having trouble with.
-Boston - the campus is in a great location!
-Most people specialize after graduating from Harvard. I think last year, 33 out of 34 people specialized. That is something I am interested in, so that obviously interested me. In the class of 2003, 9 people are going into ortho, 4 people into OMFS, 7 people into Perio, 2 people into pedo, 6 people into Endo, , 1 person into Prosth, 1 into GPR, 1 into Research/Academics, and 1 into Private Practice.
-People were really down to earth and really friendly. While it is an intense academic load, it seemed that the class is very united in trying to help each other through.

So that's basically why Harvard is my #1 choice so far. I still have a few more interviews to go to so far, so we'll see if that changes. Saying all this, who knows if I'll get in.
My GPA is: 3.71, Science: 3. 5
DAT: AA 23, PAT 20, QR 26, Bio 22, GC 19, Orgo 23, TS 21.
(That was the second set of scores).
I took it once before and got about the same scores, but had a 17 PAT and decided to retake it.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Thanks KMF for sharing. So, how many they interview, how many
they select? How do you feel after your interview? Did they ask
a lot of questions? Was it stressful? Thanks again for feedback.
I am going there on 11/20.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think they said they interview about 100 or 120 people, and their class is 35. I don't know how many they have to accept to fill their class. They also mentioned that on Dec. 1 a lot of people get waitlisted because they want to see the rest of the applicant pool before deciding who to accept. They said that out of their incoming class this year, 40% were initially waitlisted.
The interview was great. Like I said, the people there are really down to earth and really easy going. They just want to get to know you. It wasn't stressful at all. It was just like having a conversation with someone.

Good luck Vishal!

Wow glad to hear someone had a GOOD interview at Harvard. Cause mine was rough to say the least and I've talked to many others who have had similar experiences. I think Harvard is great but their facilities are terrible. I walked in and thought i walked into a bus stop. Oh they do take you go see the Med school which is absolutely beautiful but don't forget YOUR NOT A MED STUDENT. The financial aid lady told me that Harvard does not share money between the different schools and financially the dental school is the poorest. Compared to UPenn's facilities, Harvards looks like ghettotown. Easily like 20% the size of Upenn's.

I think Harvard is building a new building for the dental school right now, so the tiny pre-clinical lab that you see on the tour won't be what you will be using and the facilities overall I think will be nicer by the time you would get there because of that.
I really liked Penn as well, however, it seemed like all the student's complaints there revolved around the facilities. I thought the facilities looked fine though. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that the new building they are building is for research only.

Arizona, and with the wiche update from itsgavin, I really hope I get in....

i believe the building is also being built as an educational facility. some classes will have the oppurtunity to use the new building.

can anyone clarify on this?

#1 Loma Linda
#2 Arizona
#3 UNLV

Have an Interview at COlumbia and that is my 1st Choice. I want to stay in the City and COl. is a great school. Not in the best neighborhood but it's not the worst either.

1. UIC
2. SIU
3. IU
4. Pitt
5. Case

This thread begs the question why you put the school as your first choice.

#1- Arizona
#2- Colorado
#3- UOP

#1 Iowa
#2 Nebraska
#3 Marquette
#4 Michigan
#5 Colorado

MCG- medical college of georgia
$9k a semester and living expenses are very cheap. Downside is that they only accept instate folks.

1. UT-Houston
2. UT-San Antonio
3. Baylor

1. UCLA
2. USC
3. Loma Linda
4. UOP
5. UCSF
6. Tufts
+pad+

1. UCLA
UMB