Which school offers the best rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSW2DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It appears as though most osteopathic schools require their 3rd and 4th year students to travel all over the country for their rotations. Which schools offer the best chance for remaining within a 100 mile radius of the school for the 3rd and 4th years?

I'm curious as to how people would rank the various osteopathic schools in terms of 3rd and 4th year rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Not having specifically researched, I can only offer you theory. The odds of remaining clos to home would be best for the schools located in proximity to major metro areas. For example, I know approx 50~60% of UHS' students remain in the KC-metro area. I believe the preponderance of CCOM students remain around Chicago...but only 8 or so of the KCOM students remain in Kirksville.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Practically all NYCOM students are in the New York Metropolitan (New York City, Northern New Jersey, and Long Island's Nassau County) area during the MS3 and MS4 years.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Almost all of Midwestern University-AZCOM students do their clincal rotations in the Phoenix Metropolitan area. Those that do go elsewhere, choose to. Most who travel want to experience a particular facility's environment for future info on residency site selections or they have a particular interest in a field of study.

TCOM students stay nearby to do their core rotations, then they can rotate anywhere they wish. MSU-COM students stick close to home, so do UMDNJ-SOM students. PCOM, of course, has good rotations in the Philadelphia area...I imagine Lake Erie overlaps quite a bit with PCOM. OU-COM also has a highly developed clinical rotation infrastructure. Don't know about NOVA or Pikesville. It's my impression that mostly the western schools (WUCOMP, TUCOM, and AZCOM) are the only one's with sites sort of spread out. I think Kansas City and Des Moine also "scatter their students to wind" their third and fourth years.

UHS does not really "scatter us to the wind" if you mean students are responsible for setting up their own rotations and can go anywhere. We have a number of affiliated hospitals where we can choose to go (if we are fortunate enough to get "matched" to our first choice location.) From what I heard from the rotations office last Friday, at the present time there are 60 slots available for us in Kansas City. While some students choose to leave KC, the majority of the ones who want to stay can. We do not have the freedom to go anywhere we want to (at least not until 4th year electives.) Current UHS 3rd and 4th years may be able to add more to what I have said.

At CCOM 99% of students do their required 3rd and 4th year rotations in or near Chicago. The ones that don't do so by choice.

Johan MSIII CCOM

Here at Pikeville (PCSOM), students choose one of nine possible rotation sites. These are all in KY with the exception of one which is just outside of KY in Norton, Virginia. Tertiary hospitals and rural clinics exist at nearly every site.

Also, why is it that so many people call Pikeville, Pikesville? I see it being called that on here all the time.

I always used to add the phantom "s" because I'm so used to saying Kirksville. I know it's weak, but I assume many others do the same thing. Kirksville/Pikeville you must admit there are some name similarities. A slip of the toungue, I guess. Anyways that's my excuse.

Purely from ignorance...I thought the school was Pikesville. It was not a school I researched; so I never thought to ensure I had the spelling correct...sort of had a 'lemming-mentality' and followed the crowd on calling it Pikesville, I guess. Oh well, no harm done!

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

TUCOM clerkships are mixed, about half in the SF bay area, the other half in Las Vegas. There are a few positions in New York state also.