1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which school shoudl I apply to!?!?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ShoMeYourOhFace, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ShoMeYourOhFace

ShoMeYourOhFace Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am kinda in a weird spot... I have a 3.65 BMCP GPA, but I can up that to 3.73 if I retake 2 classes i got Bs in (statistics and genetics)... Should I do it? or will that look bad? At my school, if you retake a class, the highest grade is factored into your GPA. Also, I have a 36R on the MCAT (all 12's), but I don't have any research experience. I obviously hope to get some sort of research experience soon (I am a junior at a top engineering school and I am majoring in radiological health sciences btw). My ECs are good, but not strong or of a top applicants. My GPA isn't high but acceptable... and my MCAT score is very strong.

Should I be applying to Columbia or Yale??? What I am trying to figure out is what kind of caliber of school should I be looking at with average ECs and GPA but a high MCAT... I know it is important to apply to a few schools in the top 20, lower 20, and unranked schools but I want to save myself money. I am looking for schools on the east coast and hopefully in a large city...

Thank you for reading this

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Even if you retake classes, ALL of your grades factor into your AMCAS gpa. So, you can't replace low grades by retaking.

What do you mean when you say your ECs are average? What have you done, and for how long?

I'm unclear as to what you're asking with your Columbia/Yale question? You will be applying to multiple schools, right?

4. golftrippy

golftrippy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

1) It doenst matter what your school factors into your GPA, AMCAS factors in both...and med schools see both...DON'T RETAKE...it will look ridiculous, your GPA is fine

2) Get some summer research, it will be helpful to talk about in interviews...do whatever you can between now and then

3) If you wanna save money apply to 10 schools: All your state schools (depends on the state), 2 unranked schools, 2 top ten schools, and around 6 schools that you like that are research ranked outside of top ten...you should definately get in one of these schools with your stats. Schools like Pitt, Dartmouth, Brown, Wake, BU, U of Chicago...you should be able to get into one of these great schools with your stats...good luck

5. DrERD

DrERD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I wouldn't bother retaking the classes you have B's in. AMCAS does everything differently than your institution, so your GPA won't be that much higher than what you have now. Not to mention, I think ADCOMS would rather see you taking a higher level subject and excelling at it, rather than you retaking a class that you've already done well in. Apply to both columbia and yale- they are both completely different schools so I suggest you take a look at what they are all about and decide.