Medical Which school should I attend - DO school or Caribbean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten into both a DO school and St. George in the Caribbean. I was wondering if anyone can give me their insight into which I should choose (leaning toward DO school).

Others will attest with applicant and historical experiences while I’ll attest with first hand reading, observance, and recent job claims:

Stay away from Caribbean. Go DO route with a congratulations and never look back.

Members don't see this ad.

DO for numerous reasons. I know quite a few Caribbean med students and they've all had issues time and time again with finances/costs (and lack of funding from gov based loans), have to move a million times for rotations, one school (that I know of, maybe others) don't allow their students to use VSAS to set up 4th year, and from speaking to a PD last month - it was said that the carib students applying there often have a hard time, even when they have rotated at that site when applying for residency. These are just the bigger hitting reasons. There are others.

The DO school, even if it's LUCOM (which I despise on political and moral grounds). Here's why:

The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of US med schools that will reward reinvention.

It's likely you'll be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they ‘d be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib threshing machine (like Bedevilled Ben or mikkus) into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

Million $ Mistake

http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu

Thanks! Just making sure to confirm what I already kind of knew was the right answer. Family was upset I'm going DO route because it's not going to be MD after my name but I'm trying to explain to them it's the best route possible.
Also where can one find international practice laws for DO's? Definitely interested in doing some work abroad

Are you looking to move somewhere else, or do some sort of volunteer work?

Doing work abroad through any organization that will take you (based on need, your field, credentials, experience, etc) will give you autonomy based on where your degree is from - the US in this case, which is the same for MD. The international practice laws come into play mostly when considering moving to another country. If you're not considering moving or working there in some capacity outside of an organization for a relatively short period, then I wouldn't worry about that as much. MDs have just as many hoops to jump through as DOs who want to practice elsewhere, just more countries will take the MD in those cases. Those hoops includes things like speaking the language fluently, being able to take their version of the board exam in their language, in some cases not being allowed to take a job unless they have made every attempt to fill a position that has gone unfilled otherwise by a citizen, having to practices as a generalist for a period of time first, having to work for a government entity or hospital as an employee for X number of years before having the ability to go into private practice (if that's the goal), having some sort of employee sponsorship ahead of time, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.