which school sounds more reasonable to attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lostone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into NYU, Temple and UMDNJ and have been living in NYC forever with my mom and my puppy :) I am very close to my mom and it would be hard for me to leave her alone. If I choose NYU I won't have to worry about paying for rent and food and will only need to pay for tuition and transportation. However, I also think that the other two schools are great clinically and etc. So if the cost is not an issue(as it is in my case because all three would be roughly the same) which school would you consider more?Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got into NYU, Temple and UMDNJ and have been living in NYC forever with my mom and my puppy :) I am very close to my mom and it would be hard for me to leave her alone. If I choose NYU I won't have to worry about paying for rent and food and will only need to pay for tuition and transportation. However, I also think that the other two schools are great clinically and etc. So if the cost is not an issue(as it is in my case because all three would be roughly the same) which school would you consider more?Thanks!

How far are you away from UMDNJ?? If it's not too far, then go there!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like NYU would be a comfortable choice for you.

well, I am 40 min away from Newark, but the whole idea of moving from NYC to Newark makes me nervous. :scared:

well, I am 40 min away from Newark, but the whole idea of moving from NYC to Newark makes me nervous. :scared:

Sounds like NYU would be the choice for you. I can tell you though that if you decide to go somewhere other than NYU, I guarantee you, although it will be really hard, you will grow a lot more as a person if you get outside your comfort zone and go somewhere else. Just something to keep in mind.

sfrice80, you read my mind :) and I have been thinking about it as well, but I don't even know what to do in my case...

Sounds like NYU would be the choice for you. I can tell you though that if you decide to go somewhere other than NYU, I guarantee you, although it will be really hard, you will grow a lot more as a person if you get outside your comfort zone and go somewhere else. Just something to keep in mind.
That is a pretty good point. I don't know about Temple, but how do you figure that UMDNJ will come out to be the same prices as NYU though? It's not the same, even if you live home and go to NYU. It's about 46k vs. 64k. So if you like UMDNJ better, I would say go there.

hmm 46k?have no idea where you took that # from. From the paper i was given at my interveiw,the cost comes out to be around 250k(including living expenses and tuition out of state the 1st year and then instate),while nyu would be close to 270k excluding room&board,food and etc.

In your case, it sounds like you would be much happier at NYU. If costs are similar, and you like NYU more, then go to NYU!

going from NYC to Newark will be quite a difference in atmosphere, but why rule out temple? If you are even thinking about moving away from NYC, Temple is only about 90 minutes away, so its not bad at all

hmm 46k?have no idea where you took that # from. From the paper i was given at my interveiw,the cost comes out to be around 250k(including living expenses and tuition out of state the 1st year and then instate),while nyu would be close to 270k excluding room&board,food and etc.

My fault. You wouldn't be a resident, so that's probably what you're thinking. However, it is very easy to get residence in NJ if you decided you wanted to live at UMDNJ, in which case you would be paying 34-38k/yr + cost of living. Your total would be around 43-48k/yr, which is where I got that number from. I spoke to a 4th year student on my interview who actually got residence before her first year and paid in state tuition for her entire stay there. I think you would likely have to wait until 2nd year though.

I still don't understand where you took those numbers from if the tuition, living expenses,fees, books and supplies, and rent would add up to $62,805(as it says on the paper from the red folder) for the first year and slightly less for the remaining years. I would appreciate if you could just explain where you got your numbers from? Thanks!

I still don't understand where you took those numbers from if the tuition, living expenses,fees, books and supplies, and rent would add up to $62,805(as it says on the paper from the red folder) for the first year and slightly less for the remaining years. I would appreciate if you could just explain where you got your numbers from? Thanks!
They have a "personal" fee on there, plus transportation, plus "fees" which you don't know what they are. And I don't really understand how they calculated room and board to be $13,660.

Click here: http://dentalschool.umdnj.edu/students/prospective/09-10%20TUITION%20&%20FEES.pdf

The first year is 38k and they get lower from there. Living expenses are around $850-950/month for their housing, and you can get a (shorter than a full year) student contract if you wish. So you're looking at $8,000-10,000 (ish) per year. So that's about 46-48k for the first year, and less for the second. If you take away health insurance since many people have their own, plus some other fees you may not need, you lower that by more than $2,000

Last edited:
My fault. You wouldn't be a resident, so that's probably what you're thinking. However, it is very easy to get residence in NJ if you decided you wanted to live at UMDNJ, in which case you would be paying 34-38k/yr + cost of living. Your total would be around 43-48k/yr, which is where I got that number from. I spoke to a 4th year student on my interview who actually got residence before her first year and paid in state tuition for her entire stay there. I think you would likely have to wait until 2nd year though.

Are you saying you can pay in-state tuition fees even if you're not from the school's state? I'm from NJ so my #1 is UMDNJ purely for cost reasons (80k for 4 years as opposed to 130+ pretty much anywhere else). If I can get pay in-state tuition at other schools it'd definitely change my decision-making process.

Are you saying you can pay in-state tuition fees even if you're not from the school's state? I'm from NJ so my #1 is UMDNJ purely for cost reasons (80k for 4 years as opposed to 130+ pretty much anywhere else). If I can get pay in-state tuition at other schools it'd definitely change my decision-making process.

Yes you can. If your residence is in another state for a significant period of time, they will let you declare residency there. I don't know how long that is though, and it varies per state on how difficult it is to obtain.