Which school to choose? (UD, Pitt, Miami...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bee bee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current student at University of Miami for undergraduate studies but I am from outside of Philadelphia. So far, I have gotten into Miami, Delaware, and Pitt. I absolutely LOVED Delaware, and I plan to go out to Pitt to look at the school over Thanksgiving break. I love Miami, and the program looks great, but part of me did want to go home. I know that Miami is reasonably priced and I received a scholarship at Delaware so both of those schools would end up being around 90k.

In terms of education, all of them are very good programs. I want a program where the students are close as well. I also would love to be in a city where things are happening. I know the Pitt and Miami have medical schools, but UD doesn't. Does this really make a difference? I also loved UD's on campus rehab clinic.

It's a REALLY hard decision. I was just curious if anybody had any input!!

Good luck to anybody else applying!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea why the presence of a medical school would make any difference. No program can define how close the students in it will be, that will just depend on the individual class. Chose the cheapest program. If they all cost about the same, then choose the place where your living expenses will be lowest (like if you can live with your family and avoid paying rent, go for that). Student loan debt sucks, the less of it you have, the happier your future self will be.

Go to the school where you will be most comfortable. Since they're all private schools, then your student loans are going to be similar, except for living expenses. Living in Coral Gables might be a little more expensive than Newark, but if you want to be a city where things are happening, then UM or UPitt might be better choices. Nonetheless, all three are excellent programs. I was impressed with UM and UD. UPitt also has paid internships.

Congratulations on getting into those schools..

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current student at University of Miami for undergraduate studies but I am from outside of Philadelphia. So far, I have gotten into Miami, Delaware, and Pitt. I absolutely LOVED Delaware, and I plan to go out to Pitt to look at the school over Thanksgiving break. I love Miami, and the program looks great, but part of me did want to go home. I know that Miami is reasonably priced and I received a scholarship at Delaware so both of those schools would end up being around 90k.

In terms of education, all of them are very good programs. I want a program where the students are close as well. I also would love to be in a city where things are happening. I know the Pitt and Miami have medical schools, but UD doesn't. Does this really make a difference? I also loved UD's on campus rehab clinic.

Do you mind me asking when and how you found out about UM? that's my top choice and I haven't heard a thing!

Do you mind me asking when and how you found out about UM? that's my top choice and I haven't heard a thing!

Oh, and I would choose the school nearest to where you want to live and practice after school. These are all great schools (congrats!) so why not be near the place where you want to make connections and whatnot.

UD grad here. PM me for questions if you like.

I actually go to UM for undergrad so they had a day where it was for local students and UM students to interview. I knew they had a few sets of interviews the last few weeks and I am assuming they should be doing a second round soon! When did you apply? I applied VERY early, like at the end of July. So I am sure they will be having more interviews soon. They sent me an e-mail! Also, I am sure you could always call and inquire. I wouldn't worry, I assume you should be hearing soon and best of luck to you!!! Miami is a GREAT place! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I live in Pittsburgh, so I can tell you a bit about the city. I love living here (obviously, wouldn't be here if I didn't). Pittsburgh is nice because it is a "small" city. There is lots to do and lots of different types of things to do. Definitely plenty of outdoor things to enjoy (hiking, kayaking, biking, jet skiing, etc) if you are into that, lots of sports related things (especially with the Pirates making a comeback, it's been great!), lots of art/cultural places and things, plenty of museums and parks, etc.

I actually go to UM for undergrad so they had a day where it was for local students and UM students to interview. I knew they had a few sets of interviews the last few weeks and I am assuming they should be doing a second round soon! When did you apply? I applied VERY early, like at the end of July. So I am sure they will be having more interviews soon. They sent me an e-mail! Also, I am sure you could always call and inquire. I wouldn't worry, I assume you should be hearing soon and best of luck to you!!! Miami is a GREAT place! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I already interviewed, I meant I hadn't heard back from that (17 days and counting!!). I applied end of July also so I am crossing my fingers so hard that I hear very very soon, like yesterday.

Congrats on all your acceptances!!

UD professor here. It's an amazing program. I also had good friends who graduated from both Pitt and Miami. You seriously can't go wrong. Feel free to message me with any questions.

I already interviewed, I meant I hadn't heard back from that (17 days and counting!!). I applied end of July also so I am crossing my fingers so hard that I hear very very soon, like yesterday.

Congrats on all your acceptances!!

Did you hear anything yet??? and thank you for the input!

And thank you to everyone else!!! I think I still need sometime, but all three programs sound wonderful. Good luck to everyone else! Maybe I will see some of you at PT school! :)

Did you hear anything yet??? and thank you for the input!

And thank you to everyone else!!! I think I still need sometime, but all three programs sound wonderful. Good luck to everyone else! Maybe I will see some of you at PT school! :)

No! Do you know of anyone else who has been accepted? I'm so stressed out all day long hoping I hear from them, I really need to relax :p

Good luck with that decision, must be really tough choosing between three amazing programs.

One factor to consider is the clinical affiliations you will have exposure to. As a Pitt grad I had the opportunity to have Clinical Instructors who were leaders in the profession of Physical Therapy. There are amazing chances to work along side the best in the field in a wide variety of settings, as you train to be a PT. I do not think many students consider this when looking at PT school. In addition, the teaching environment at Pitt is supportive of student needs and taught by instructors truly concerned with equipping students to succeed after graduation. Just thought I would add some food for thought. My best with your decision.