which school to choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andmillr

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is not really roations realted, but it will affect where mine are! I am having trouble deciding which medical school to attend. I have narrowed it down to UOMHS in Des Moines, IA or Midwestern U in Chicago, IL. Does anyone have any insight on either one of thse schools? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

yes, i have some insight! i got to CCOM and am a 2nd yr..

email me with your questions at [email protected]

Here's a plug for UOMHS.

I graduated a year ago and found I was well prepared for residency. It may not be Ivy-League, but there is a definate committment to students. On clinical rotations as a student and now as a medicine resident, I'm as well, if not better prepared compared to some of the other residents from 'big-name' MD medical schools. It's also nice that UOMHS has other colleges (podiatry, Administration, Physician Assistant, Physical Therapy), which equates to more resources for the med students. UOMHS offers dual degrees for DO students: I got my DO/MHA degree. They are now starting a Public Health program, so that's now another option for new students.

Des Moines is a nice town, cheap cost-of-living, and safe. There's plenty of jobs for the spouse, SO, etc... Also there's no other med school in Des Moines, so students have a good chance of doing rotations in Des Moines 3rd and 4th years if they want. There is some competition for spots with the U of IA med students from Iowa City, but it's generally not a problem.

When I interviewed for residency (UC Davis, U of CO, U of Chic) I was told by some programs that they generally don't interview DO's but I was considered for some of the interviews because I went to UOMHS. So it must have a good reputation for putting out strong people.

You'll get a good education which ever school you choose. Keep in mind, it's up to you to learn medicine, you can do that anywhere you go. But being happy where you'll live from 2 to 4 years is also important.

Where did you interview that they told you they usually don't take DOs. What a load of crap if they told you that. What purpose would saying that serve? (see below for my theory). There are plenty of DOs at U Chicago. UC Davis has them and so does U Colorado (though I haven't looked very hard at these places.)

Remember that residency programs are stereotypically disingenuous when giving information about applicants chances, etc. They may have said "we usualy don't take DOs" so that you would feel that they must really like you. Why? ROLIC. These programs want all their applicants to rank THAT program number one. Every year there are lots of stories of programs telling applicants that they are their number one choice so that the applicant will reciprocate on his/her ROLIC. Don't believe them unless you get it in writing.

By telling you that they are impressed with you despite your being a DO sounds a bit thin and could perhaps be a ploy. If they like you, your being a DO will not be an issue.