Which school would be the best choice for my sister?

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
My high school senior sister just got acceptances from

Cornell
UVA (possibly honors)
WashU
Northwestern
Rice
University of Florida Honors program

Which one would be the best if she considers premed(science) as one of her top choices, want to study music as minor and explore non-medical fields?
There is a financial matter as well though not as important as her exploration to future career. She is a Florida resident and would be able to go to UF for free(yeah almost $0), but other schools would cost 30K to 40K annually.

She is pretty talented in math and music. She took differential equation and calc3 at UF and was the permanent first chair clarinet in both marching and symphonic band, Florida all state second chair every year and the third chair in tri-state(FL,GA and ?).

Dec 18, 2009
under the sun :)
Status
Medical Student
Unless she HATES it, or gets scholarships from any of the other ones, she should follow the money. At least thats what I would do...If money is no object, then pick whichever one she absolutely likes best.

BBender716

Med school drop out!
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Illinoisville
Status
Non-Student
If she is at all interested in anything business, go for prestige hardcore (Cornell, Wash U, NWU, possibly Rice). For everything else, prestige of undergrad matters relatively little compared to the difference in expense. However, for business, elite positions seek out grads from prestigious colleges, no matter how smart you are (I speak from experience).

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
Cheapest school. Undergrad doesn't matter to anyone if you went to med school.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
If she is at all interested in anything business, go for prestige hardcore (Cornell, Wash U, NWU, possibly Rice). For everything else, prestige of undergrad matters relatively little compared to the difference in expense. However, for business, elite positions seek out grads from prestigious colleges, no matter how smart you are (I speak from experience).
What about other areas besides business? like applying to law school?

BBender716

Med school drop out!
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2009
Illinoisville
Status
Non-Student
What about other areas besides business? like applying to law school?
Matters slightly more than for med school, but law school, from what I've heard, is all about GPA + absolutely killing your LSATs. Any of the schools above will provide you with ample opportunity to go anywhere with the appropriate GPA + LSAT.

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Go with whichever one is free if she's considering med school.

I did this for undergrad and could not have been happier. There are so many people out there carrying 150k+ in undergrad debt and then about to enter med school. Plus, UF is a good school (even though I might rather die than go there).

Xcited392

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Which one would be the best if she considers premed(science) as one of her top choices, want to study music as minor and explore non-medical fields?

She is pretty talented in math and music. She took differential equation and calc3 at UF and was the permanent first chair clarinet in both marching and symphonic band, Florida all state second chair every year and the third chair in tri-state(FL,GA and ?).
Well, in terms of music opportunities, Northwestern and Rice have some of the best music performance programs in the nation (excluding stand alone conservatories like New England Conservatory, Juilliard, etc).

However, if she's not actually in the School of Music, it'll be hard to get lessons from professors. But she could try and ask (persuade the profs by having them hear her play). A music minor can still give her access to music theory and music history courses and she will be sharing the classrooms with actual music majors.

As far as performance opportunities, some organizations like the Symphony Orchestra are usually reserved for music performance majors. Some organizations will occasionally let a non-music major float in and play with the orchestra/band, but since she's a clarinet player, it'll hard because there's less chairs in the section. But an all-university music organization (for non-majors) is available.

It'll be better for us to decide if she had a firm idea of what she wants to do. Tell her to think about it before committing to a school.

I'd say UF for pre-med: it's cheap and not as competitive as the ivies=better chance at getting a good GPA.

For liberal arts/business/whatever: ivies or the equivalent. In some fields, reputation DOES matter.

My personal philosophy: go to the school where she's most happy (consider location, environment, etc.).

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2010
Status
if we're talking about potentially going into business or law, keep in mind UVA is powerhouse in these areas as well. I would think it would help to have access to the resources of top-tier professional programs. I think UVA's undergrad business program is in the top 10, with its business school in the top 20. Its law school is one of the magic T-14 schools.

Just thought I'd plug my soon-to-be med school ;)

Vvandenn

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Rice is a VERY good school. I live in Houston and have many friends going there. Very prestigious. They have a ton of affiliations with the Texas med center and Baylor COM and provide insane opportunities for their pre-med students (The school itself is literally across the street from UT-H, Baylor and tons ((tons)) of hospitals and medical clinics). It's quite a difficult school academically however, so beware.

Note: every pre-med I've known that went to Rice is in med school now.

I'm sure those other schools are badass too. You really need to tour as many of the campuses as possible and see which one you feel most comfortable at.

Although UF does sound enticing with the non-existent pricetag...

schrizto

10+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
puh puh pitt
Status
Pre-Medical
Rice awards merit aid and good FA, has lower overall tuition than most privates, and is in Houston with TMC not too far away.

Considering finances though, ehhh UF would be hard to turn down.

Daedra22

7+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would definitely go with the cheapest school, as long as it seems acceptable. It doesn't matter where you went to school, as long as you're successful... and being debt-free (or close to it) is extremely valuable. I was able to keep my debt low, and as I'm considering how much medical school costs, I'm VERY glad that I did.

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Money is all SDNers can think about.

Go to the one she would like the most, what sort of life does she like?
Urban? Suburban?

Homogeneous culture?

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Money is all SDNers can think about.

Go to the one she would like the most, what sort of life does she like?
Urban? Suburban?

Homogeneous culture?

Geographic locations

Northwestern: Urban enriched with art and music
Cornell: Country + wine
UF Honors: suburban - hometown
UVA: suburban
Washington Univ: Urban
Rice: Urban + loaded medical complex

From here, Rice seems to be the best choice by looking at geographic location. Considering financial issue, it's cheaper than the rest of private schools.

Scale out of 9
Geographic Location(9) + Academics(9) + Money(9) = 27
3: bad
6: not bad
9: good

UF Honors: 6 + 6 + 9 = 21
Rice: 9 + 9 + 6 = 24
Cornell: 6 + 9 + 3 = 18
Northwestern: 6 + 9 + 3 =18
UVA: 6 + 9 + 6= 21
WashU 6 + 9 + 3 = 18

So Rice wins?