which school would you go with...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

represent_CV

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
assume you are a southern california resident and you were hypothetically accepted to both UCLA and UMich...which would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

i'd want to be near my family...

UCLA hasn't accepted anyone yet have they?

I think it depends on a lot of things...UMich and UCLA have very different demographics (population) and atmosphere.

Financial aid might be another factor.

As far as U.S. News research ranking...UCLA was 14 last year and went up to 11 this year. UMich was 7 last year and is now at 9. I guess you could wait until the new ones come out in march? Its all subjective...

Family/friends is another consideration...you should definitely go to both second looks. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think ucla has accepted anyone yet, my question was purely hypothetical...also, where can you get us news rankings from previous years?

Elastase said:
UCLA hasn't accepted anyone yet have they?

I think it depends on a lot of things...UMich and UCLA have very different demographics (population) and atmosphere.

Financial aid might be another factor.

As far as U.S. News research ranking...UCLA was 14 last year and went up to 11 this year. UMich was 7 last year and is now at 9. I guess you could wait until the new ones come out in march? Its all subjective...

Family/friends is another consideration...you should definitely go to both second looks. Good luck!

i don't think ucla has accepted anyone yet, my question was purely hypothetical...also, where can you get us news rankings from previous years?

represent_CV said:
where can you get us news rankings from previous years?
the wayback machine at the internet archive. No, I'm not being a smart ass. I'm serious.
Find out the URL of the current rankings at USnews.com and search for it.
We posted this for someone else a few months ago. Search the posts here.

I know it was hypothetical, but if you do get into both, I HIGHLY suggest you fly out to Michigan to check out the school again. I went there for undergrad, and I absolutely loved it. The medical school has an excellent reputation, but you have a lot to consider.
Many people will tell you that tuitiion should not be a factor and to "just go for it if its a better school". I think that's total BS. I currently go to an out of state med school, and the only way I am able to do this is because I could get in state residency after the first year. I don't know what the out of state fee for UM medical school is, but if its anything like undergrad, you'll be paying close to a $20k fee PER YEAR as the state of Michigan does not allow students to get residency for the whole time you are there (at least this was how it was for undergrads).
You should talk to as many med students as possible and see if the atmosphere jives with you. I have 2 friends there, one that went there from undergrad, and one from Cali. The guy (extremely extrovertive) from undergrad loves it, just like he loved it in undergrad. The girl from Cali (somewhat introvertive, but I wouldn't call her shy) doesn't like it so much, she thinks it a mixture of her personality and huge change from "back in Cali". Start to check out the cirricula, Umich has weekly 10 point quizzes all year, followed by cumulative final exams at the end of the semester. Also ask about clinical rotations, etc. In retrospect, this would have killed me, I much more prefer my school's no weekly quiz, 3-4 week block, non culmulative test approach.
If I were in the situation you originally posted, I would have stayed in Cali unless the cirriculum did not satisfy my needs.

sscooterguy

represent_CV said:
assume you are a southern california resident and you were hypothetically accepted to both UCLA and UMich...which would you choose?

california all the way, the girls are fiiiine! ( the fact that mich is ranked higher in US news does not mean much at all. UCLA has a great rep.)

UCLA b/c very close to home.
I live 15 min south of there (via 405 S.). Of course it would be more like 45min-1.5hrs during rush hour.

[cartman voice:] so . . . am i to understand there will be no scholarships?

unless money is no object, rankings mean a whole lot to you, you like college towns (but ann arbor is a pricey one), and you like snow, i say you should lean heavily toward ucla. isn't oos tuition at umich something like $40,000 total, compared to something around $20,000 in-state at ucla? i think the difference in rankings is negligible relative to the difference in cost. for me, the only additional factor that would justify the higher cost is if i really liked the locational factors of umich or thought umich's program was incredibly suited for me way beyond ucla. i think even if you're interested in academic medicine, they both have a good enough reputation for a favorable outcome. if you weren't interested in academic medicine, then that's even less reason to choose umich in this particular situation.