Which School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siddhartha

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently holding acceptances at the following schools...UVa., Wake Forest, MCV, Georgetown U. Anyone have any advice, thoughts, experience with these schools? Thanks! Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,I was wondering,what does anyone think of Morehouse medical school,and Howard medical college.Do they Accept international students?

I'll appreciate your feedback.

------------------
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN,MUCH IS EXPECTED.

Sidharta,

Those are all excellent schools and you are in a wonderful position. I would look at it as that you can't make a bad choice. You can certainly justify going to any of them. Go to the one you will be happiest at. They all have good matches, which is more dependent on the individual anyway. The moral of the story is: You can get the residency you want based on the results of YOUR work, and how well you did. If you go to any of those schools and kick butt, you should have your choice of residency spots. Therefore, you should go where you would be happy living. I know students from all those schools, and they are all pretty happy.
smile.gif

Go watch some Superfriends on TV, grab a nutrageous, and do the FREEDOM DANCE backwards...
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
hey siddartha..could say more about youself...like which year in undergrad, gpa, mcat score, extra-curricular etc..

thank you

lumanyuka:

As of 1998 Morehouse had only 36 new slots per year so your chances of getting in there are not so great. I've heard rumor that the number is increasing to 64 soon.

Howard definately takes international students.

Siddartha,

Are you a VA resident? If so, I would definitely go for UVA, which in my opinion is the better of the two VA schools you were accepted to. If you're out of state, I'd STILL go to UVA. It's got a great program with a new curriculum, its reputation should help you in residency placement, and from what I can recall, its hospital is in a pretty good position. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think financial considerations are pretty important, but of course other factors like geographic location, quality of life, and a suitable curriculum for YOU are also important.

I wish you the best in making your decision!

VAD
tongue.gif

Siddhartha - check out Georgetown's financial situation - they are going through some very rough times and you may want to look into how their administration problems are rolling downhill to their students. Just a thought.

Thanks Sheon.I appreciate your advice.

Anyone eyeing a neurosurgery residency??

hi congrats on your acceptances to UVA, georgetown, etc. by the way i was interested in georgetown too how was the interview, are they nice?

anyway, as far as advice is concerned, georgetown is in DC which is way cool, but UVA actually has a better rep....just go where you feel good. haven't heard much about med coll of va, so you're on your own there.....

good luck

Thanks for the kind replies! I'm pretty sure I'll be going to UVa next fall. They made me a nice offer and Charlottesville seems like a wonderful place to be during medical school.
I was pretty average in terms of stats/MCATs/research/extras, etc.
My experience w/ G'town was terrific, but I felt it was an irresponsible choice for ME because of the high tuition/financial instability, etc. Their interview process is a bit different, you'll either love Donna Sullivan or...you won't. Personally, I thought she was great, but I know others who were extremely put off by her. Try interviewfeedback.com for more info.
Again thanks for the input, support and advice, if I can reciprocate in any way please post here. Good luck!