Which schools accept science prerequisites older than 10 years?

Jun 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I know most schools do not and it will take forever to call every school to find out. I'd appreciate if you can kindly post the names of the schools you know that do not require science prerequisites completed within 10 years. Thanks a lot!

Thanks to all who are willing to share and help! Below are the responses we've got so far. I'll keep updating this and hope the thread can provide useful information.

Midwestern CPG for example will accept them but they say this:

"View with concern those applicants who include pre-pharmacy math and science coursework that was completed longer than 10 years ago. More recent (within five years) pre-pharmacy math and science coursework is preferred."
UCSF is one that accepts old prereqs.
if you have a good PCAT score and all the other requirements, older prereqs are not a problem at U of MN (at least in my case).

Last edited:

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Where the sun don't shine
Status
Pharmacist
I am sorry to say that you have to retake them.
That is not true. It depends on the school. Midwestern CPG for example will accept them but they say this:

"View with concern those applicants who include pre-pharmacy math and science coursework that was completed longer than 10 years ago. More recent (within five years) pre-pharmacy math and science coursework is preferred."

Now if you rocked your PCAT or had a career that involved lots of science, I'm sure they would have less concerns when viewing those old grades.

sungieality

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student

OP
M
Jun 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I am sorry to say that you have to retake them.
Too bad.
That is not true. It depends on the school. Midwestern CPG for example will accept them but they say this:

Now if you rocked your PCAT or had a career that involved lots of science, I'm sure they would have less concerns when viewing those old grades.
Thanks!
Thanks!

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
You might be better off making a list of schools you think you might be interested in and then contacting them directly. If you find their policies too restrictive, then expand your list. I don't think anyone here is going to give more than a few names.

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
I know most schools do not and it will take forever to call every school to find out. I'd appreciate if you can kindly post the names of the schools you know that do not require science prerequisites completed within 10 years. Thanks a lot!
AKA: I'm too lazy to research my own pharmacy schools of interest--do it for me.

That's determination right there.

Pharm08

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2007
Status
Non-Student
My undergrad science courses (except for Microbio and Anatomy) were quite a bit older than 10 years and I have been accepted for fall '09 at U of MN. The admissions committee does like to see recent grades and the ability to handle a full course load. Again, if you have a good PCAT score and all the other requirements, older prereqs are not a problem at U of MN (at least in my case).

ValeRx

PharmD
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Midwest
Status
Pharmacist
AKA: I'm too lazy to research my own pharmacy schools of interest--do it for me.

This place is great, ain't it? Dozens of people who want to be babied, spoon-fed, butt-wiped and powdered. Don't want to do any of their own work,any of their own research, devise their own answers to common interview questions.... the list goes on and on.

OP
M
Jun 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
You might be better off making a list of schools you think you might be interested in and then contacting them directly. If you find their policies too restrictive, then expand your list. I don't think anyone here is going to give more than a few names.
Thank you very much for the advice! I have already contacted my top choice schools, which don't accept old science prerequisites. I only expect a few names anyway, so it's not a problem. You have been very helpful. Thank you again!

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Status
Pharmacist

I would classify this as doing research. In the real world, often it is easier and more efficient to go to a person who knows the answers than to look for everything yourself. When you are a pharmacist, are you going to scour the literature or ask the guy down the hall who can answer your question in thirty seconds? In this case, the OP came to a place where it is likely that people will know the information already and won't mind sharing. I'm sure if she finds the answers unsatisfactory, she will continue researching.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I would classify this as doing research. In the real world, often it is easier and more efficient to go to a person who knows the answers than to look for everything yourself. When you are a pharmacist, are you going to scour the literature or ask the guy down the hall who can answer your question in thirty seconds? In this case, the OP came to a place where it is likely that people will know the information already and won't mind sharing. I'm sure if she finds the answers unsatisfactory, she will continue researching.
For once, I completely agree with you.

Shhhhhocking. :oops:

PonderingChoice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student

As other people have already noted: you can check the web-site of every pharmacy school (since I assume the OP isn't too picky) and hope their pre-requisites section mentions explicitly what their policies are about old courses, OR you can start a new thread, which has a very clear title.

You should only go with the former if you have a low people-crapping-in-your-thread tolerance. :p

OP
M
Jun 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Unfortunately, your logic is flawed.

First, posting a question here doesn't mean that I don't do my own research. I've contacted several, even though not all 120, pharmacy schools. This thread is simply another more efficient way of conducting the research.

Second, this is a public forum, so the answers are useful to everyone. I'm not just asking the question for myself. People have different schools of interest.

Jul 15, 2009
Orange County
Status
Pharmacy Student

First, posting a question here doesn't mean that I don't do my own research. I've contacted several, even though not all 120, pharmacy schools. This thread is simply another more efficient way of conducting the research.

Second, this is a public forum, so the answers are useful to everyone. I'm not just asking the question for myself. People have different schools of interest.
Very rarely do I see an OP who argues their logic and backs it up. I applaud you.

CopToEM

Livin' the Dream
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Southeast US
Status
Medical Student

Well done.