Which schools are open to giving feedback to rejected applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping we can get a list of schools that give good feedback even to applicants rejected pre II!

Members don't see this ad.

My guess would be none. Admissions seems like a pretty closed door process. If they started giving out confidential admissions info, they could be opening themselves up to lawsuits.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is very difficult to give honest feedback without liability.
I have occasionally seen decent feedback given by state schools to their IS applicants, though.
This.

My state school invites all rejected applicants to a meeting to discuss areas for improvement.

Reactions: 5 users
Best best is to call each individual school and hope you run into the lucky person willing to go out of their way to give you input; who is answering the phone is probably the bigger variable than the school you call. Your odds at legitimate feedback as stated above will likely be best at your state school(which is the way you want it to be).

Last edited:
It is very difficult to give honest feedback without liability.
I have occasionally seen decent feedback given by state schools to their IS applicants, though.
It would be cool if we could sign a waiver to get honest feedback. Obviously I'm no legal expert but it would be helpful. Given that we will be applying for things for the rest of our careers (should we choose medicine, especially academic track) it seems reasonable to have a little bit of feedback from the *educational* institutions we are applying to.

Is it weird to ask for feedback after a successful cycle?

Yes. If, by weird you mean unheard of.

Your staff has really never had a successful applicant call you to ask you why you accepted them?

Legend is that Harvard undergrad used to keep a copy of their evaluation of you when you applied and let you read it before you graduate it. Tons of people apparently take them up on the offer.

Reactions: 1 user
Your staff has really never had a successful applicant call you to ask you why you accepted them?

Legend is that Harvard undergrad used to keep a copy of their evaluation of you when you applied and let you read it before you graduate it. Tons of people apparently take them up on the offer.
Rarely, one of my own students wants to know what we saw in them. At that point, it is a philosophical discussion, though.

Reactions: 3 users
University of Iowa put in their rejection letter how we could make an appointment to talk about our application (phone number to call, date after which we could start making appointments, etc.).
Creighton encourages current applicants to call about their applications so I can't imagine that they wouldn't welcome rejected applicants' calls either.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm hoping we can get a list of schools that give good feedback even to applicants rejected pre II!
I've done a lot of emailing schools about this haha. Yes to VCU, UVM (if you don't have a pre med advisor), wake forest (after you've been rejected from all other schools), UCF (if you provide them with what you think your strengths and weaknesses are). If your interested, I can also tell you which schools don't

Rarely, one of my own students wants to know what we saw in them. At that point, it is a philosophical discussion, though.
Practical feedback would be pretty cool too. I realize we will get grades, evaluations, and OSCE feedback and such during school, but knowledge of what we did best and what we did less well in this process would be really helpful for residency applications and interviews. That is probably the next time most of us will be interviewing.

Practical feedback would be pretty cool too. I realize we will get grades, evaluations, and OSCE feedback and such during school, but knowledge of what we did best and what we did less well in this process would be really helpful for residency applications and interviews. That is probably the next time most of us will be interviewing.
Practical feedback is built-in to quality medical education. You should get plenty!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Brooks at Jefferson is receptive to talking to applicants about areas of improvement.

Reactions: 2 users
To follow up on Dr.NickRiviera's post, Creighton is definitely receptive to helping rejecting students. I remember them saying it on interview day.

Best to call your specific school. My in-state schools gives detailed feedback, and I have heard from several that Vandy does as well, if you take the initiative to ask them for the feedback.

Definitely Creighton.

And ugh honestly if you don't personally know of any schools that do this then don't post. This is what irks me about SDN: people post that a policy is or isn't practiced because they haven't personally experienced it, yet plenty of other schools do.

Reactions: 3 users
After my first application cycle, I got personalized feedback over the phone from the admissions directors at UC Irvine, UC Davis, and Dartmouth along with Dr. Brooks at Jefferson. I called in May and set up phone appointments.

Creighton gives feedback during the cycle - you can call them and someone in admissions will pull up your file, go over your application, and give you a rough idea of where you stand with regards to an interview invite. I'm sure they'd give feedback afterwards as well.

Virginia Tech provides feedback, but only for interviewed applicants.

Rochester sent me a detailed email, but it was a general one explaining what they're looking for and some reasons why applicants might be rejected, not a personal one.

CC'd both of them over 3 weeks ago.
Did you send the email during the weekday/during business hours? Whenever I sent an update after 5pm they wouldn't respond, but they'd respond if I sent one during the day.

Did you send the email during the weekday/during business hours? Whenever I sent an update after 5pm they wouldn't respond, but they'd respond if I sent one during the day.

No idea...either way I figured if they cared at all/thought I was a decent candidate they would get back to me, guess not

ECU will to IS applicants (which is all that they accept anyways).

Well, as far as POST interview is concerned, Jefferson and Quinnipiac were both great with feedback..

Honestly, I just spent so much of the application cycle being insecure about my quality as an applicant that I would love to hear some ego boosting feedback from the places that accepted me.

Vain? A little bit.

Creighton - during the cycle and after being rejected
Case Western
VCU

I'm sure there are many more but these are the ones I remember from personal experience