Which schools do I REALISTICALLY have a shot at (DO Underdawg).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceHamsterBoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How are you an underdawg???

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
downward trend...transferred from a CC to a University, lost my support system. But was dealing with familial problems, Deaths, financial issues, etc.

Low GPA, Weak ECs (practically non existent), almost NIL/Nada/Zilch volunteering...

but then again...a family of 8 with a single income of 30K (my father)...I don't have the financial capitol to spend my time volunteering. All my free time was spent working to pay my school expenses.

Schools will understand that. Your GPAs aren't low, definitely not underdawg status. Your MCAT and the rest of your ECs are great. Apply broadly and I'm sure you'll get some love.

Reactions: 2 users
This cycle? Not sure about the timeline. Purchase MSAR and apply to schools within reach if you want MD.

This cycle? Not sure about the timeline. Purchase MSAR and apply to schools within reach if you want MD.

What DO schools should I apply to? I submitted my primary to Rowan.

Thinking about applying to:
NYITCOM
TouroNY
LECOM
PCOM
VIACOM
KCUMB
AZCOM

any others I should consider?

Not a bad idea to add newer schools. VCOM, BCOM, CUSOM, ACOM, LMU-DCOM. May consider adding KCOM, ATSU-SOMA, and DMU.

Is this a troll? Underdog with a 3.5 and 510 for DO....what?

Can't tell. Post history is leaning towards yes.

Reactions: 5 users
That's underdawg stats? :( I'll have to start a underdawg-underdawg edition. I'll call us the SewerRats.

OP I think you'll do just fine. Your post suggest that you are motivated and focused in the right areas. Your stats are just fine! Don't worry too much and put your best foot forward :) GL!

Reactions: 3 users
OP, I can understand your lack of confidence given the insanity that is medical school admissions but your numbers are fine for both MD/DO.

Its getting borderline late for MD admissions but you are fine for DO. You will get a couple interviews at DO schools given those stats.

That is assuming you have a DO LOR. Even with your good numbers this could be a deal breaker if you can't explain why DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
should I apply MD or is that a lost cause?

I'm trying to conduct my research and find out which DO schools are affiliated with hospital systems and have great rotations/own hospital systems.

It is late in the cycle for MD if you haven't already applied this year. If you want to go MD, wait until next year. Early apps are key if your stats are marginal. You should be good for DO schools, because their cycle is longer.

It is late in the cycle for MD if you haven't already applied this year. If you want to go MD, wait until next year. Early apps are key if your stats are marginal. You should be good for DO schools, because their cycle is longer.

My primary is already in for MD :)

I picked a throw away school, but thankfully, I did well on the MCAT :)

Am I still late. I truly don't care about whether I go MD or DO.

I'm VERY MUCH fine with a DO admission. I would ONLY pick MD as it afford me better rotations (less travelling) and more research opportunities.
I WOULD GLADLY take a D.O. admission ANYWHERE.

So typically, when we talk about underdogs, in regards to the admissions process, we are speaking about GPA and MCAT scores. Both of which, for you, are competitive at MD schools. So the idea that you're an underdog applicant for osteopathic medical schools is ridiculous.

Stats:

510 MCAT (129/126/127/128)
3.54/3.45 GPA
ORM but immigrants come to the US because they're educated and want more or because they're so downtrodden in their home country, they come to the states for a better opportunity, first generation college student
Personal story includes facing racism in NYC during 9/11, a broken family, supporting my 6 younger siblings, living in secrecy in my own home as an atheist (former muslim) and overcome a childhood of obesity.

Other stats:
80 hours clinical shadowing - IM/EM/FM
40 hours volunteering in the ER
PR Secretary for honor society, did volunteer tutoring at a community college
over 1000 hours of research including - 3 semesters worth (volunteer, for credit and paid), a grant, 3 presentations, a poster award, YouTube features and a commercial.
1000 hours as a pharmacy tech, 500 hours as a CNA in a nursing home, 2000 hours as an aide in an ED.
2000 hours of working non clinical jobs during coursework as well (i worked to support myself and my family).

What on Gods green earth would make you think that you are an underdog in any capacity??

Can we please stop shaming the guy/gal for being nervous about their chances?

Even with great numbers nothing is guaranteed.

Reactions: 1 users

True, but one thing is guaranteed: he's not an underdog by any definition of the word.

Reactions: 3 users

I feel ya on this, but the problem is that when people post above average stats on here claiming to be an osteopathic underdog, it makes people who are actual underdogs to feel worse about their situation. You may not feel this way, due to your good stats, but someone else might.

I feel ya on this, but the problem is that when people post above average stats on here claiming to be an osteopathic underdog, it makes people who are actual underdogs to feel worse about their situation. You may not feel this way, due to your good stats, but someone else might.

The problem is that we don't know the whole story. He could be a reinvention applicant that had terrible numbers not too long ago

This high GPA could be due to grade replacement. Which some people on this site have argued would not help as much (you should do well if you retook).

Agreed not an underdog but shaming op over it hinders new posters to ask questions in the future

Exactly! I'm rocking a 2.97cGPA, 3.06sGPA, and 509 vs gis/her 510,3.45/3.45. Numbers alone he/she is killing it

I get he/she may be scared but those numbers are solid af and I'm high key jelly.

He also posted a similar thread on the MD one so I think he might be aware that he is swatting a bees nest.
Stats:
PA Resident
510 MCAT (129/126/127/128)
3.47 cGPA/3.34 sGPA
ORM but URM circumstances...Personal story includes facing racism in NYC during 9/11, a broken family, supporting my 6 younger siblings, living in secrecy in my own home as an atheist (former muslim) and overcome a childhood of obesity.

Other stats:
80 hours clinical shadowing - IM/EM/FM
40 hours volunteering in the ER
PR Secretary for honor society, did volunteer tutoring at a community college
over 1000 hours of research including - 3 semesters worth (volunteer, for credit and paid), a grant, 3 presentations, a poster award, YouTube features and a commercial.
1000 hours as a pharmacy tech, 500 hours as a CNA in a nursing home, 2000 hours as an aide in an ED.
2000 hours of working non clinical jobs during coursework as well (i worked to support myself and my family).

Current School List:
MD:
Drexel/Penn State/Temple/Thomas Jefferson/The Commonwealth Medical
Albany Medical/New York Medical College/SUNY Downstate/SUNY Upstate/University of Rochester
U of Washington
U of Arizona
U of Toledo
U of Vermont
U of South Carolina
U of Wisconsin
U of Colorado
U of Illinois
U of Florida
U of Central Florida
U of Utah
U of Iowa
Rosalind Franklin
Virginia Tech
Tulane
Wake Forest
Michigan State
Marshall University
Wright State
Eastern Virginia
USF Morsani
Quinnipiac
Central Michigan
Loyola
Florida International
Western Michigan
Virginia Commonwealth
Oregon Health
Indiana University
George Washington
West Virginia
Oakland University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Creighton

Underdog?? Really? What about us all then? Lol

Honestly, with those numbers, it's competitive anywhere

For DO if you aren't a ***** in interviews and can write a coherent essay then a DO acceptance is pretty close to guaranteed with those numbers.

He also posted a similar thread on the MD one so I think he might be aware that he is swatting a bees nest.

Also I now think OP is a troll. That school list looks like a conglomeration of state schools and all the schools we usually advise against due to low yield. It looks like he went through and chose all the schools that previous posters were told to avoid.