SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Which schools do not let you apply more than twice?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by xiaoyi666, Jun 1, 2008.

1. xiaoyi666

xiaoyi666 The General 2+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I heard Albert Einstein is one of them. Does anyone know of any others?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. xiaoyi666

Jun 15, 2007
    bump. no one?
  4. scarletgirl777

scarletgirl777 7+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I think Harvard is another...but I always just kind of assumed that was a general rule, maybe I was wrong????
  5. xiaoyi666

Jun 15, 2007
    i know of some ppl that applied more than twice. just wasnt sure which schools specifically turned it down.
  6. Margaux1985

Margaux1985 0k member 2+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2008
    The great plains of NYC
    Albert Einstein is the only school in my mind that specifically prohibits you from applying more than twice.

As for Harvard, I think the general rule is that if you applied broadly enough and didn't get accepted anywhere on your first try, then you will probably not be competitive enough to be accepted to Harvard the second time around (I think a similar informal rule applies to all top tier medical schools such as Columbia, Cornell, and Duke).
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  7. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

I'm pretty sure that Harvard was brought up last year as having an official limit of three attempts. I think I looked it up to verify that when I read it on here, but I'm too lazy to go through their website to find information that I don't need for myself tonight. Maybe someone else wants to go to the effort to verify or contradict that.
  8. 194342

194342 Physician 7+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2008
    I've never heard of any...
  9. chad5871

chad5871 Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Portland, OR
    If I were a medical school, I would not set a limit on how many times you can apply. Another application means another $100 in my pocket!
  10. xiaoyi666

Jun 15, 2007
    thanks for the help guys. helped ease my heart a bit =)
  11. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem 2+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If you are worried, why not contact the schools directly? if you find out something, please post here.

The questions to ask are going to be 1.Do you have a limit on the number of times one can apply AND, more importantly, 2.Is there any disadvantage to reapplicants and what kind if improvements do you seek before accepting them?

As someone mentioned, taking your application fee doesn't mean they accept reapplicants.
  12. Live4Life

Live4Life Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2006
    UCLA's website says "A student not admitted as the result of this first application may file a second application in one succeeding year. A third application is discouraged." And it literally is bolded like that on the website, so I take that as you dont stand a chance if you apply a third time.
  13. Dendrite

Dendrite 2+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2007
    I remember reading that Loyola does not let you apply more than twice. The following quote is from their admissions catalog.

14. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California Moderator 10+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2004
    I think the general attitude with some schools is that they allow you to reapply in order to strengthen your app. If you're applying three or four times, it might give the impression that you're either just hoping for better outcomes or after a first failure, you didn't take them seriously about not applying again until your app was as good as it could have been.

If you're applying a third time, just make sure that your app shows definite improvement and that it couldn't get significantly better with another year's prep. If it's the same app as last time, sit out a year and make it better.
  15. medbunny56

medbunny56 2+ Year Member

Dec 10, 2015
    anyone know if UCLA's policy is truly set in stone?

I sent my primary to them last year without knowing my mcat score (big mistake, i know) and since then I've gotten hundreds of more hours of research experience (abstracts, publications) and improved my mcat by 6 points (although still hovering around the 70th percentile=28 old scale) do you guys think its worth applying for my 2nd and last time this cycle? i don't think I can raise my score significantly that its worth waiting another cycle for applying
    i also raised my science gpa since my 1st app and got a LOR from PI
  16. JustAPhD

JustAPhD Not a hummingbird expert 2+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Ice Coast
    This is what UCLA states on their site:

So if you're going to reapply take that info into account. With a ~505 (and a lower first take), I would say it's a long shot but that's without knowing your GPA, ECs, state of residence, etc.
  17. gonnif

gonnif Only 965 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2009
    The Big Bad Apple
    Most medical schools have formal or informal policies that discourage more than two applications. Most schools save all previous applications and will pull them (or automatically and electronically) attached them to any new application. The first thing an adcom will see on your new application is likely the summary cover sheet from previous applications saying rejected. On that basis, the applicant is already being viewed with suspicion. Most reapplicants make the often fatal flaw or reapplying too soon (ie the next cycle).

I have links to several medical school's reapplicant specific pages in a previous posting
  18. medbunny56

medbunny56 2+ Year Member

Dec 10, 2015
    I know it's a long shot, but I think they are more holistic in their review than other UCs based on looking at their 10th percentile MCAT and GPA from the MSAR
    I have a 3.6+ gpa, tons of research (presentation, pub, LOR from PI) and I'm IS (although that wont really help with these UCs)
  19. 194342

194342 Physician 7+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2008
    You're replying to something I said 8 years ago. I know my medical school does not pull prior years applications when interviewing people who previously applied. The question was which schools will not let you apply twice. There aren't any schools that I know of that will autoreject you just for being a reapplicant. You might be at a disadvantage but you still have a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Turkishking likes this.
  20. DameJulie

Apr 23, 2016
    Harvard doesn't let you apply more than twice. Just saw that on their website.
  21. Turkishking

Turkishking 2+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2015
    hSDN Alumni