Which schools do not let you apply more than twice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiaoyi666

The General
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard Albert Einstein is one of them. Does anyone know of any others?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Harvard is another...but I always just kind of assumed that was a general rule, maybe I was wrong????

i know of some ppl that applied more than twice. just wasnt sure which schools specifically turned it down.

Albert Einstein is the only school in my mind that specifically prohibits you from applying more than twice.

As for Harvard, I think the general rule is that if you applied broadly enough and didn't get accepted anywhere on your first try, then you will probably not be competitive enough to be accepted to Harvard the second time around (I think a similar informal rule applies to all top tier medical schools such as Columbia, Cornell, and Duke).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Harvard was brought up last year as having an official limit of three attempts. I think I looked it up to verify that when I read it on here, but I'm too lazy to go through their website to find information that I don't need for myself tonight. Maybe someone else wants to go to the effort to verify or contradict that.

thanks for the help guys. helped ease my heart a bit =)

thanks for the help guys. helped ease my heart a bit =)
If you are worried, why not contact the schools directly? if you find out something, please post here.

The questions to ask are going to be 1.Do you have a limit on the number of times one can apply AND, more importantly, 2.Is there any disadvantage to reapplicants and what kind if improvements do you seek before accepting them?

As someone mentioned, taking your application fee doesn't mean they accept reapplicants.

I remember reading that Loyola does not let you apply more than twice. The following quote is from their admissions catalog.

First-time applicants who are unsuccessful in gaining admission to Stritch may reapply. Third applications, however, are not encouraged. The Committee on Admissions will consider a third application only if significant improvement is evident in a letter from the potential applicant requesting permission for submitting such an application.

I think the general attitude with some schools is that they allow you to reapply in order to strengthen your app. If you're applying three or four times, it might give the impression that you're either just hoping for better outcomes or after a first failure, you didn't take them seriously about not applying again until your app was as good as it could have been.

If you're applying a third time, just make sure that your app shows definite improvement and that it couldn't get significantly better with another year's prep. If it's the same app as last time, sit out a year and make it better.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone know if UCLA's policy is truly set in stone?

I sent my primary to them last year without knowing my mcat score (big mistake, i know) and since then I've gotten hundreds of more hours of research experience (abstracts, publications) and improved my mcat by 6 points (although still hovering around the 70th percentile=28 old scale) do you guys think its worth applying for my 2nd and last time this cycle? i don't think I can raise my score significantly that its worth waiting another cycle for applying
i also raised my science gpa since my 1st app and got a LOR from PI

anyone know if UCLA's policy is truly set in stone?

I sent my primary to them last year without knowing my mcat score (big mistake, i know) and since then I've gotten hundreds of more hours of research experience (abstracts, publications) and improved my mcat by 6 points (although still hovering around the 70th percentile=28 old scale) do you guys think its worth applying for my 2nd and last time this cycle? i don't think I can raise my score significantly that its worth waiting another cycle for applying
i also raised my science gpa since my 1st app and got a LOR from PI

This is what UCLA states on their site:

Students who were not successful in gaining admission to medical school may submit a second application. We would prefer that these individuals remain in an academic environment, either in a graduate degree program or doing remedial work in areas of weakness. The applicant should forward two letters of recommendation from associates during this period of time.

So if you're going to reapply take that info into account. With a ~505 (and a lower first take), I would say it's a long shot but that's without knowing your GPA, ECs, state of residence, etc.

This is what UCLA states on their site:

So if you're going to reapply take that info into account. With a ~505 (and a lower first take), I would say it's a long shot but that's without knowing your GPA, ECs, state of residence, etc.

I know it's a long shot, but I think they are more holistic in their review than other UCs based on looking at their 10th percentile MCAT and GPA from the MSAR
I have a 3.6+ gpa, tons of research (presentation, pub, LOR from PI) and I'm IS (although that wont really help with these UCs)

Most medical schools have formal or informal policies that discourage more than two applications. Most schools save all previous applications and will pull them (or automatically and electronically) attached them to any new application. The first thing an adcom will see on your new application is likely the summary cover sheet from previous applications saying rejected. On that basis, the applicant is already being viewed with suspicion. Most reapplicants make the often fatal flaw or reapplying too soon (ie the next cycle).

I have links to several medical school's reapplicant specific pages in a previous posting
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ear-wamc-advice-please.1191695/#post-17595427

You're replying to something I said 8 years ago. I know my medical school does not pull prior years applications when interviewing people who previously applied. The question was which schools will not let you apply twice. There aren't any schools that I know of that will autoreject you just for being a reapplicant. You might be at a disadvantage but you still have a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Harvard doesn't let you apply more than twice. Just saw that on their website.

You're replying to something I said 8 years ago. I know my medical school does not pull prior years applications when interviewing people who previously applied. The question was which schools will not let you apply twice. There aren't any schools that I know of that will autoreject you just for being a reapplicant. You might be at a disadvantage but you still have a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
:rofl:

Does anyone know if the two-time limit is for applying to Albert Einstein directly or if we submitted the AMCAS application twice before?

Does anyone know if the two-time limit is for applying to Albert Einstein directly or if we submitted the AMCAS application twice before?
If you have submitted the primary application twice then you have applied twice. Failure to complete an application is not the same as not applying.

If you have submitted the primary application twice then you have applied twice. Failure to complete an application is not the same as not applying.
You guys do realized this thread is from 2008, with the last post before yours in 2016, don't you??? :cool:

That said, the answer to @mumuuuu's question is that any particular school's policies only apply to that school, and you are only a reapplicant to schools you have previously applied to.

It seems as though @mumuuuu doesn't fully understand how this works. ALL US MD schools, other than those in Texas, use AMCAS for their primary application. There is no such thing as just applying to any school directly, and @2021-2022-NonTrad is 1,000% correct, although he seems to be assuming you realize this (or maybe I am incorrect in assuming you don't :)).

If you submit a primary to Einstein through AMCAS, you are an applicant to Einstein, whether or not you return their secondary, and whether you not you are even invited to do so. If you do this again, you are a reapplicant to Einstein. AMCAS applications to any other school have no impact at all on Einstein's implementation of its policy.

If they say you cannot do this more than two times, that should mean you will not receive a third secondary, and, even if you do, it will be DOA if you return it. Knowing the rules at every school you apply to can definitely save you money, since most schools will absolutely first take your money and then point to the policy that compels them to auto-reject you.