Which schools do you recommend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick_Nov

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Curious what schools you would recommend based on my experience and other stats. Here they are:

Cumulative GPA: 3.81
Not sure what science GPA is for sure, but can say its probably around a 3.8
~~Dean's List all semesters, member of Delta Delta honors society, Academic Excellence award.

-Have undergraduate research experience under a professor, but no publications.

Preliminary MCAT 2015 scores:

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems 82-97%
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills 39-54%
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems 85-100%
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior 70-85%
Overall: 82-92%

Extracurriculars:
-School newspaper photographer/writer, environmental club member, UNICEF campus involvements, Best Buddies member, PreMed group Admin.

Clinical experience:
-300+ hours volunteering at two different hospitals, 80+ hours of shadowing 5 different specialties, 1500+ hours working in Food and Nutrition at a hospital.

Also went on two international service trips with my university to South Africa and Nicaragua. Worked with Feed the Children, City Year, and gave some first aid instruction to women in Nicaragua.

Considering primarily MD schools with the exception of PCOM for DO.

MD schools:

Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn
Hopkins
Penn State Hershey
University of Pittsburgh
New York University
Dartmouth

Thoughts?

~Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should apply as if you had a 32 MCAT.
That gives you 5 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance at an interview (counting PCOM).
A bit scanty.
Add another handful and you are in business (Albany, Einstein...).

You should apply as if you had a 32 MCAT.
That gives you 5 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance at an interview (counting PCOM).
A bit scanty.
Add another handful and you are in business (Albany, Einstein...).
Hmm okay, thanks. Wouldn't you say a 32 MCAT would be good for Drexel, Georgetown, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State Hershey? That would be 6 with PCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm okay, thanks. Wouldn't you say a 32 MCAT would be good for Drexel, Georgetown, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State Hershey? That would be 6 with PCOM.
GT gets over 13K applications. I didn't see catholic school or a DC connection...
Good insight though!

Your MCAT is good enough for a potential interview at those schools but 6 schools is too few to apply to. Add another 10 schools where you have a chance for an interview such as:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Albany
Hofstra
Vermont
Commonwealth (PA)
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Tulane
St. Louis
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin

Reactions: 1 user
GT gets over 13K applications. I didn't see catholic school or a DC connection...
Good insight though!

I actually go to a catholic university. Neglected to mention that. Would that increase chances for Georgetown?

Your MCAT is good enough for a potential interview at those schools but 6 schools is too few to apply to. Add another 10 schools where you have a chance for an interview such as:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Albany
Hofstra
Vermont
Commonwealth (PA)
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Tulane
St. Louis
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin

Thanks!

Now add Creighton, SLU and Loyola and look at @Faha's suggestions.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into those schools. Although the others are a reach, would it be worth it to apply anyways and take a chance? Also, it seems you are primarily looking at schools where a 32 is safe. Do you think that is what medical schools will be considering, even though its a completely different MCAT test and scale that is supposedly incomparable to the previous test?

Also, it seems you are primarily looking at schools where a 32 is safe. Do you think that is what medical schools will be considering, even though its a completely different MCAT test and scale that is supposedly incomparable to the previous test?
I'm pretty sure.

I'm pretty sure.

Sorry to keep bugging you. Last question: Dartmouth and Brown are around 33 average MCAT. Pretty close to mine that might be around 32/33 equivalent. Worth adding?

Sorry to keep bugging you. Last question: Dartmouth and Brown are around 33 average MCAT. Pretty close to mine that might be around 32/33 equivalent. Worth adding?
Probably not Dartmouth: much less, Brown.