Which Schools Favor In-state students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

tcom, osu, pcsom (appalachian-sp? region), i believe pcom has a little favoritism as well.

there's prolly more, but i cant think of em now. feel free to add more or correct me if im wrong.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess Michigan State would. Probably that new Virginia Tech school would too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio.

If you're not instate at Ohio you have to sign a contract stating that you'll practice in ohio for like 4 years.

Nearly all private allopathic and osteopathic schools favor in-state or in-area students. (Read old threads on this.) Also, spend $10 for US News on-line and you can see the #s for yourself. Especially of interest is CCOM and PCOM. UHS is one school that does not favor in-state students, but I believe the rest give at least some favor to those from the state or area that the school resides.

Demosthenes_7 said:
Nearly all private allopathic and osteopathic schools favor in-state or in-area students.

I thought that it was nearly all "public" allopathic and osteopathic schools favored in-state/in-area students.

CCOM is private and takes plenty of out of state, just look at their tuition to see that they are private. all the state schools are more accepting of instate students b/c thats what state taxes pay to educate, the states students. not to mention that many people don't apply or choose other schools than state schools b/c if they are out of state, its REALLY expensive, and i am seriously REALLY expensive (my buddy takes out something like 65K a year versus my 20K, in vs out of state)

It's the public schools that favor in-state: MSUCOM, OSU-COM, T-COM, and the one in New England (can't remember the name).

scubadiva said:
It's the public schools that favor in-state: MSUCOM, OSU-COM, T-COM, and the one in New England (can't remember the name).

The one in new england, which is UNE, is not public. But I did hear that they sometimes favor students from the new england region. I don't know how reliable this is though.

fullefect1 said:
The one in new england, which is UNE, is not public. But I did hear that they sometimes favor students from the new england region. I don't know how reliable this is though.

"On-campus interviews are given to qualified applicants upon invitation so that the Committee can further evaluate candidates. Preference is given to qualified applicants from the New England states (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont)."

http://www.une.edu/com/admission/criteria.html

From my personal experience,

CCOM, OSUCOM, TCOM.

(On the other hand, those that favor more out-of-state than most other schools are AZCOM, KCOM, DMU-COM, & UHS-COM)

kaikai128 said:
I thought that it was nearly all "public" allopathic and osteopathic schools favored in-state/in-area students.

Of course the public schools do heavily favor those from their respective states. Some public allopathic schools accept only in-state students.

What I am trying to convey is that most private schools get tax breaks, etc. from the state they are located in and in return have to favor students from their respective state. However, they do not pass the savings onto the students, unless just a token amount like at CCOM. The bottom line for applicants is that it is much easier getting into PCOM being from PA and much easier getting into CCOM being from IL.

MSUCOM only reserves less than five spots for out-of-state students :( I understand, after all, they are ranked REALLY high when it comes to producing primary care physicians :thumbup: .

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008
"Can't spell doctor without the DO!" :)

Add WVCOM to the list.

gr8n said:
MSUCOM only reserves less than five spots for out-of-state students :( I understand, after all, they are ranked REALLY high when it comes to producing primary care physicians :thumbup: .

gr8n
LECOM-Bradenton
c/o 2008
"Can't spell doctor without the DO!" :)

Jebus! Only 5 spots ?!?!?!?! I'll be taking MSU off my application.

stoic said:
Jebus! Only 5 spots ?!?!?!?! I'll be taking MSU off my application.

I got accepted there and I was from out of state, and in no way a stellar applicant or interviewee, but I chose NOT to go there. Tuition is outrageous if you're out of state, at least 15k more than any other private school. :eek: They estimated my loans at close to 250k or something like that. :scared:

and the only way for me to be considered in state was to marry someone from Michigan. :laugh:

stoic said:
Who would want to do THAT? :laugh: :thumbup:

That's what I'm saying. I don't think I could con anyone out in the Midwest to marry this CA girl. lol