Which schools focus on rural or primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patrickd223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only one that comes to mind for me is Mercer(GA applicant represent :D). Anyone help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSU for sure

Sanford School of Medicine at the University of South Dakota

U of Wash, Dartmouth, Vermont come to mind.

uc davis just started a new rural program...i think it is a 5 year combined degree program.

East TN State University puts a huge focus on primary care and rural medicine. Beautiful there, too. :)

Definitely MSU, maybe WVU?

The only one that comes to mind for me is Mercer(GA applicant represent :D). Anyone help me out?

nebraska, nebraska, nebraska! i believe UNMC is ranked 6th in rural medicine and top 10 in primary care. also, you're required to do a rotation in a rural part of the state

Also OHSU and U of Washington.

Members don't see this ad :)
ECU is huge on rural and primary care, and UNCCH is big on it too

I was going to mention UC Davis RURAL-PRIME and Wisconsin's WARM program...

SUNY Upstate has a rural medicine program

Uconn
I think it's safe to assume that majority of state schools emphasizes primary care since there is a nationwide shortage and state schools, probably more so than private institutions, want to look like they try to address society's needs.

Jefferson has the PSAP rural program. Tuition is a bit expensive, but the program is very successful and has been described in many peer-reviewed journals. Plus, it's in Center City Philly :).

University of Illinois has a Rural Med program at two of its branch campuses (Peoria and Rockford).

ECU is huge on rural and primary care, and UNCCH is big on it too

ECU is huge on rural/primary care, but they are 100% in-state only. So this wouldn't help a GA resident. Though, once the OP graduates from MS, their residency programs are just as good. And open to anyone.

SUNY Upstate and Tufts (if you're interested in Maine, at any rate). I think also VCU.

Anyway, I was talking to a rural family practitioner about rural medicine and she said that, while choosing a rural (or rural-ish) residence can be very helpful if you want to practice rural medicine, whether you go to a medical school with a rural-focused program isn't that important because the basic education will still be pretty much the same, and you can (usually) do rural away rotations.

Texas Tech, MSU, ECU

I plan to work with underserved communities as a physician... but when I hear of "rural medicine"..., I don't think it's exactly what I have in mind. Does someone have a good description of what it means to go into rural medicine?

Many of the WICHE schools. And especially University of Washington

I plan to work with underserved communities as a physician... but when I hear of "rural medicine"..., I don't think it's exactly what I have in mind. Does someone have a good description of what it means to go into rural medicine?

Umm... Rural medicine would be medicine in a rural town. Often rural practitioners are primary care docs, but not neccessarily always. In case you're so silly as to not know what "rural" means, it means small towns. Think farms and forests.

I believe Colorado also has a rural program

I think one important thing to mention is that while many schools have rural (or other types of) programs, there is a difference between this and focusing on rural or primary care.

Real life example: MSU has a program for international medicine. I would not by any means say that MSU focuses on international medicine.

I second OHSU. It is a MAJOR focus there (both rural and primary care).

East TN State University puts a huge focus on primary care and rural medicine. Beautiful there, too. :)

+1

They also have a very small class (66 students) and the staff are the friendliest that I've ever met. I called them to arrange a campus visit and when I arrived they were expecting me, knew my name, gave me a private tour of the school (including the gross anatomy lab, patient simulator rooms, and classrooms) and introduced me to various professors they thought that I would get along with (all of whom stopped to chat!!). Great place and the students seem very happy. They are very big on providing medical care for the Appalachian population and have a number of programs that you can be involved in as a med student. However, they are very choosy about OOS applicants (I think that they are willing to consider NC, KY, and WV residents from Appalachia as well).

Umm... Rural medicine would be medicine in a rural town. Often rural practitioners are primary care docs, but not neccessarily always. In case you're so silly as to not know what "rural" means, it means small towns. Think farms and forests.

Thanks for answering my question. I found it very helpful (NOT being sarcastic). Working in farms and forests is not what I have in mind. I want to help underserved populations in populated cities.

TCMC (commonwealth medical college)'s mission statement is to place more primary care physicians in north-eastern PA

Yeah most any state school is going to love to educate someone to work with underserved populations. If you want to work in a large city, you might want to look at state schools in large cities.

Two things:
1) I just realized this a three year old thread resurrected for seemingly no reason.
2)Anyone who goes into IM, FM, or peds is doing primary care until proven otherwise. By that measure Upstate has about 30 or so going into primary care per year. Many other schools will likely have similar numbers. When it comes to primary care, it doesn't matter what the school produces. If you want to do it, you should have no problem.