Which schools have PBL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohlala

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering which schools have problem-based learning curriculums and what are the pros and cons...

Members don't see this ad.

i think almost every school in the US has some form of PBL now.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the better question to ask is which schools don't use PBL. although some are predominantly PBL, most have it integrated in different ways.

pros: more interactive=more productive

cons: can get left behind by your smarter classmates or held up by the slower ones, (this is where you start to refine your teaching skills)

i have had a course using this method in my med tech program. i loved it and i am definately looking forward to it in med school.

While a lot of schools "incorporate" PBL into their curricula, it is difficult to really train your skills in PBL fashion (i.e. clinical reasoning) without doing it on a near daily basis. PIL (an integration of PBL and lecture based) at Drexel still has faculty and still has lectures, so they are teaching.

Originally posted by ohlala
Just wondering which schools have problem-based learning curriculums and what are the pros and cons...

Cornell and Harvard are the two schools that use this model most extensively (and somewhat exclusively). Traditional pros are it is very empowering for an individual to take charge of their own education. Cons are some people claim you don't learn anything in your two basic science years.

Coops

Drexel lets you pick your curriculum - you can do exclusively lectures or PBL. I think that's weird. I'm kinda weird too though. Am I spelling weird correctly?

Go CHIEFS!

The University of Rochester has about 12 new rooms dedicated exclusively to PBL. Each room has a mock exam room within it.

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
Cornell and Harvard are the two schools that use this model most extensively (and somewhat exclusively). Traditional pros are it is very empowering for an individual to take charge of their own education. Cons are some people claim you don't learn anything in your two basic science years.

Coops

actually hawaii is also totally pbl. apparently they have good company!

Michigan State College of Human Medicine consists of PBL during second year. We do have supplemental lectures though on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and PBL M/W/F.

Mossjoh

The University of Hawaii has recently begun using PBL exclusively.

I wouldn't say recently.....Hawaii's been on the PBL curriculum for the past 14 years.

The newly opened med school Cleveland Clinic is PBL.

NOrthwestern also have a strong emphasis on PBL, but they do have lecture times each week. Most likely not as much PBL as Harvard though (I personally don't like exclusively-PBL curriculum)

I think Harvard does have lectures interspersed with their PBL sessions. Are there really any schools that are all PBL and no lectures or is that just a perception?

LECOM has three pathways: Lecture, PBL (only group, other than the anatomy at the beginning of the year), and ISP (independent study)