Which schools LOVE community service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedpredent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being OOS friendly is also a big plus. I know that ASDOH is one of them. Does anyone know some others? Trying to finalize my list of schools to apply to. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

UMich, UCSF, UCLA, UPenn. I would argue that all schools love applicants with community service though :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course they all love it. But if you're talking about ASDOH-level love where it plays a more significant role in admission, MOSDOH and UNE also come to mind. With limited seats and regional preference, you probably need to really impress them though.

overall state schools weigh community service more than other EC's....
but then, some of them weigh research above community service, so you get the idea

Example: UCSF --> would favor an applicant with research and no community service over an applicant with community service no research, but UW, would favor the applicant with community service .....

my $0.02 :)

Of course they all love it. But if you're talking about ASDOH-level love where it plays a more significant role in admission, MOSDOH and UNE also come to mind. With limited seats and regional preference, you probably need to really impress them though.

Yes, I am talking about ASDOH-level love in this case. I have 1000 hours of community service in dental clinics, homeless shelters, blood bank, operating room, etc.. My GPA and DAT are in the low-average category. I am really looking for schools that may value the community service much more than normally.

Thank you all for your feedback thus far!

Yes, I am talking about ASDOH-level love in this case. I have 1000 hours of community service in dental clinics, homeless shelters, blood bank, operating room, etc.. My GPA and DAT are in the low-average category. I am really looking for schools that may value the community service much more than normally.

Thank you all for your feedback thus far!

How low-average are we talking about? ASDOH is the only school I know that will look hard at your community service. Everywhere else is a numbers game. Community service will never make up a poor GPA or DAT score.

I've also heard that ASDOH will look strongly at community service. Does anyone know what is required in their secondary? I have community service that dates back quite a while that I'm no longer current with - do we need to provide them with contacts?

Any past ASDOH applicants want to shed some light on this for me and the OP?

EDIT: OP, with the exception of your PAT you dont look to be in too bad of shape. Maybe bust out a 20/20PAT in july?

I've also heard that ASDOH will look strongly at community service. Does anyone know what is required in their secondary? I have community service that dates back quite a while that I'm no longer current with - do we need to provide them with contacts?

EDIT: OP, with the exception of your PAT you dont look to be in too bad of shape. Maybe bust out a 20/20PAT in july?

Contacts are required

Organization, Supervisor, Phone #, Start & End Dates, Description, hours completed

Thanks Jeffity.

Do you know how many hours they like to see there?

Contacts are required

Organization, Supervisor, Phone #, Start & End Dates, Description, hours completed

Thanks Jeffity.

Do you know how many hours they like to see there?

There's a lot of fuss about that and throwing a number out sparks debate. Quality work over a long period of time will get more attention than just massive hours. And active participation over time will naturally yield a large number of hours. If someone walks in with 50-100 hours, it's not that they are outright rejected, but it's not very convincing that you're a fit for what they're trying to do.

I should have retaken the test. But last admission cycle I didnt get my interviews until February and I was hopeful for an admission. I studied for the DAT for 4 months the first time I took it- really dont want to rush it, do worse, and shoot myself in the foot. If I dont get in this year.. I will definitely have to retake it. :\